Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: North Strabane Township Police Oppression

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    Good luck. I'm betting they will change the ordinance.
    Even "if they change the ordinance, my second amendment rights have still been violated prior to any future changes in the ordinance.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold eagle View Post
    Any help with court related fees?
    The USC 42 Sec 1983 federal lawsuits provide that a prevailing party is eligible for reimbursement of legal fees.
    (sec 1988)
    I will be posting a copy of the lawsuit within the next week.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not so sure anyone is going to be wiping the floor with anyone.

I'd be willing to bet that a good 85% of the people on this forum are "oppressed" in that they can't shoot on their own property due to local ordinances.
    If my neighbor decided to start target practicing in his back yard, I'd be the first to call the police. It's not safe to do so here - that's why there's an ordinance. It has nothing to do with "oppression."

The OP doesn't really make his situation clear enough to make a call, but until I know more, all I can do is sit back and say, "This should be interesting."
    The only reply I have regarding the oppression is that our second amendment provide in DC vs Heller that:

The Supreme Court of the Unites States (SCOTUS)

"Held:
    1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

So unless target shooting is "NOT" a "traditionally lawful purpose" my constitutional right have been violated for more than six months.

Also:

42 U.S.C. § 1983, commonly referred to as "section 1983" provides:

Every person who under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, Suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer's judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was unavailable. For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia.
    Last edited by deangelo1290@comcast.net; March 20th, 2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Tighten Lips

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You don't by chance live on Paper Street, stay up all night making soap and hitting golf balls do you?

No I don't, I live int he borough on East College. The property that I intend to target shoot on is in North Strabane Township.
    Last edited by deangelo1290@comcast.net; March 20th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not so sure anyone is going to be wiping the floor with anyone.

I'd be willing to bet that a good 85% of the people on this forum are "oppressed" in that they can't shoot on their own property due to local ordinances.
    If my neighbor decided to start target practicing in his back yard, I'd be the first to call the police. It's not safe to do so here - that's why there's an ordinance. It has nothing to do with "oppression."

The OP doesn't really make his situation clear enough to make a call, but until I know more, all I can do is sit back and say, "This should be interesting."

As I have indicated earlier in this Post, there are absolutely no ordinance in North Strabane Township that regulate target shooting on your own privaate property.

There's a lot to be said for springing for a silencer, paying the $200 NFA tax, and going about your lawful business without being hassled. The Chief seems like a poor candidate for the CLEO signature, but there are other eligible CLEO's in every county, and options that don't require a CLEO signature at all.

I hope this goes well for you, and that your lawyer can cobble together some standing out of whatever communications you've had with the Chief. "Fear of prosecution" is normally a tough sell, but if the Chief has directly communicated with you, maybe it will work.

I assume that the Chief would charge with the usual catch-all "disorderly conduct", perhaps "reckless endangerment" if he alleges that the rounds would jeopardize 3rd parties. If it were me, I'd invest in some shooting stands, overhead barriers and something that looks at least a little like the NRA-recommended range layout. Pictures of a hill are less persuasive than pictures of a formal range, if safety is the issue.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by deangelo1290@comcast.net View Post
    No I don't, I live int he borough on East College.
    Ok, I get it, first rule, don't talk about it.

I'm guessing the joke went right over your head?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I never saw "Fight Club", so I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There's a lot to be said for springing for a silencer, paying the $200 NFA tax, and going about your lawful business without being hassled. The Chief seems like a poor candidate for the CLEO signature, but there are other eligible CLEO's in every county, and options that don't require a CLEO signature at all.

I hope this goes well for you, and that your lawyer can cobble together some standing out of whatever communications you've had with the Chief. "Fear of prosecution" is normally a tough sell, but if the Chief has directly communicated with you, maybe it will work.

I assume that the Chief would charge with the usual catch-all "disorderly conduct", perhaps "reckless endangerment" if he alleges that the rounds would jeopardize 3rd parties. If it were me, I'd invest in some shooting stands, overhead barriers and something that looks at least a little like the NRA-recommended range layout. Pictures of a hill are less persuasive than pictures of a formal range, if safety is the issue.
    Hi gunlawyer001,
    Thanks for the input,
    I actually researched some of your earlier posts regarding the right to target shoot on my own private property in the absence of any prohibitive ordinance.

I have posted the property with no trespassing signs, and have installed shooting stations on which I will install 1/2" steel AR500 grade steel target backing.

I will also be shooting frangible ammo at the steel to eliminate any chance of ricochet.

Please www.youtube.com and search ICC frangible ammo to see videos of point blank shooting at steel targets with frangible ammo. Shooting within inches (muzzle to steel target) of the target.

As we all know the greatest potential danger is to those who are shooting the targets, and any others that may be present. With Frangible ammo, the bullets disintegrate upon impact with the steel.
    Last edited by deangelo1290@comcast.net; March 20th, 2013 at 09:35 PM.

(Washington County)

Got It!
    I'm slow on the uptake.
    I guess I'm just venting about the whole situation.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast