Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Pew: Protection now tops hunting for gun ownership

There has been a surge in Americans buying guns for protection over the past 14 years, a trend that now beats hunting as the main reason for owning a firearm, according to a new Pew Research Center poll.

"The vast majority of gun owners say that having a gun makes them feel safer. And far more today than in 1999 cite protection - rather than hunting or other activities - as the main reason they own guns," said Pew.

According to the non-partisan polling agency, 48 percent say they have a gun for protection. Just 32 percent said they own a gun for hunting or target shooting. In 1999, said Pew, 49 percent said they owned a gun mostly for hunting, while 26 percent cited protection as the biggest factor.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/pew-pr...rticle/2524059
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Default Re: Pew: Protection now tops hunting for gun ownership

I have never hunted. Been a gun owner ever since I legally could.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

All of the clubs need to take note. They need to start catering to the non-hunters, or they're going to shrivel up and die. Can't shoot a carbine offhand at less than 50 yds, can't draw from a holster, can't load more than "X" number of rounds, blah, blah...

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    All of the clubs need to take note. They need to start catering to the non-hunters, or they're going to shrivel up and die. Can't shoot a carbine offhand at less than 50 yds, can't draw from a holster, can't load more than "X" number of rounds, blah, blah...
    I can relate to this. One of the clubs where I am a member requires you to give 2 seconds between each pistol shot. Because that is what we are going to do the real world when confronted by a BG, right?

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    I can relate to this. One of the clubs where I am a member requires you to give 2 seconds between each pistol shot. Because that is what we are going to do the real world when confronted by a BG, right?
    Wow, that's just petty & stupid. As if they want to drive drive people away for no good reason. Doesn't that just piss you off?

My club caters just as much to tactical shooters & action pistol competitors as hunters, trap & skeet shooters, etc. But it's 50 minutes from my house; as far as I know, all the nearby clubs are Fudd.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Wow, that's just petty & stupid. As if they want to drive drive people away for no good reason. Doesn't that just piss you off?

My club caters just as much to tactical shooters & action pistol competitors as hunters, trap & skeet shooters, etc. But it's 50 minutes from my house; as far as I know, all the nearby clubs are Fudd.
    I think they do it because of the **new** houses across the street. The gun club was there first, but amazingly, people still complain.

(Allegheny County)

Well, DUH...

If they paid more than twenty bucks for that study they got ripped off.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    There has been a surge in Americans buying guns for protection over the past 14 years, a trend that now beats hunting as the main reason for owning a firearm, according to a new Pew Research Center poll.

"The vast majority of gun owners say that having a gun makes them feel safer. And far more today than in 1999 cite protection - rather than hunting or other activities - as the main reason they own guns," said Pew.

According to the non-partisan polling agency, 48 percent say they have a gun for protection. Just 32 percent said they own a gun for hunting or target shooting. In 1999, said Pew, 49 percent said they owned a gun mostly for hunting, while 26 percent cited protection as the biggest factor.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/pew-pr...rticle/2524059
    The left needs to read this. To wit:

Guns? No Thanks. The Number Of Households With Gun Hits A 40 Year Low

Data from the General Social Survey–a public opinion survey conducted every two years by the University of Chicago–has tracked gun ownership since 1973. The number of gun-owning households peaked in 1977, at 54%, and has steadily declined ever since, reaching 32% in 2012.

Source
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Luzerne County)

Since this was from the University of Chicago they are probably true... since Illinois and especially Chicago have almost totally eliminated the rights of its citizens to be armed.... That is like saying " SINCE WE DONT ALLOW GUNS HERE THEY HAVE DECREASED FOR THE NORMAL, LAW ABIDING CITIZEN"..... Duhhhhhhhhh