Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default AR-15 FSB/scope/rail question....

In the recent insanity that is the AR world, I sold my mostly unused 3 gun style scoped AR to afford some modification work to my truck. I ended up with two AR's with red dots, which is not a problem, really, but I want one to be scoped because of my generally shit-tastic vision. I figured my PSA faux dissipator, which has a mid-length gas system but rifle length sights, would be best. A Nikon 2-8x32 M223 and Burris mount clear the MBUS well and all is set.

I didn't think seeing the FSB in the scope would bother me, but it does. So what to do now? The FSB is pinned on and, I later found out, its crooked. It serves no purpose but to hold on the hand guards and be a front sight, it is not part of the gas system.

So do I;
    1. Cut the FSB down and loose the rear sight and it be a scope only gun with no back up sights. Not my favorite option....

2. Lose the FSB all together and get a 15 inch hand guard to cover the pinned area cut out on the barrel....

3.Get a 15 inch hand guard and put it over the shaved FSB...

4. Install a flip up, pinned on FSB thingy, which I know nothing about or if there are quality ones out there, and have it pinned on correctly....

5. Shave the FSB, 15 inch rail to cover it, 45 degree offset sights...

What say ye? Are there other options I haven't considered? What set up are you running on your scoped AR's with front sights?

Thanks.....
    Last edited by FLICK; March 12th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: AR-15 FSB/scope/rail question....

If you can remove the FSB, you can just replace it with a front sight tower gas block that will fold down. I find the YHM's towers to be the most reasonably priced and serves the purpose well. You can then replace the PEPR with a QD PEPR so you can still have your BUIS. For the price of a rifle length extended handguard that will cover the front sight base, you can get both of the YHM sight tower and QD PEPR. You can then sell your standard PEPR back and recover some $.

2-8x is kinda odd though. You have no 1x view and 8x isn't really that significant of magnification. Why not a 1-4x?

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    4. Install a flip up, pinned on FSB thingy, which I know nothing about or if there are quality ones out there, and have it pinned on correctly....
    Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    If you can remove the FSB, you can just replace it with a front sight tower gas block that will fold down. I find the YHM's towers to be the most reasonably priced and serves the purpose well. You can then replace the PEPR with a QD PEPR so you can still have your BUIS. For the price of a rifle length extended handguard that will cover the front sight base, you can get both of the YHM sight tower and QD PEPR. You can then sell your standard PEPR back and recover some $.

2-8x is kinda odd though. You have no 1x view and 8x isn't really that significant of magnification. Why not a 1-4x?

Al
    I like this idea the best, meself. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod21446.aspx If the FSB on your gun serves no gas purpose, then just do a clamp on.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I like this idea the best, meself. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod21446.aspx If the FSB on your gun serves no gas purpose, then just do a clamp on.
    Yup, that's one of those decision to make. I always want to have BUIS on my primary AR15 to have BUIS even though I will likely never get to use them.

Midway has the sight towers in stock and they are HK style hooded: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=yhm+tower . I got lucky and landed 1 with the bottom rails for $86 + shipping on JSE Surplus a couple of weeks ago. I have an ARMS 41B (my primary AR) and a VLTOR VST-1C (new build in progress), but I wouldn't hesitate with another YHM for future builds.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    4. FSB thingy,
    Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post

Midway has the sight towers in stock and they are HK style hooded:
    I prefer the thingy, myself...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I prefer the thingy, myself...
    Hahahaha...I'll have to remember that more common term.

Al

(Allegheny County)

You're not going to be able to co-witness with a powered scope. You're not going to be able to deploy your rear sight with the scope in place either.
    So in this configuration, what's the point of having the BUIS on the rifle at all? If you're plan is to remove the scope to use the irons, then as mentioned, replace the existing front sight with a folding one.
    Now if your plan is to do away with irons all together, then I would just cut off the front sight and leave the base. A friend cut his off for a three gun setup and it looks fine.
    Last edited by Hawk; March 13th, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Now if your plan is to do away with irons all together, then I would just cut off the front sight and leave the base. A friend cut his off for a three gun setup and it looks fine.
    Yep, my BM has the front sight post cut, but it is a different one that I paid ten bucks for and pinned it on from the sides using hex screws (never can get the pin holes to match and bump drilling new) and counter sink holes in the barrel, 1mm deep. I can put the original FSB back on it it covers the counter sink marks in the barrel and all is back original. I like the way they look, cut, myself, but they need to be Dremeled (or Makita'd, what ever you have for grinding) well to look nice. It is definitely a scope/mil dot optic only rifle.

(Berks County)

You are your own man and can and should do as you please, but I have to ask, what real SHTF scenario do you really think you're going to be in that would cause your no-battery optic to fail to the point that you'd have to unscrew your scope mount and revert to back up irons?

That said, just cut the FSB down and save your money for ammo or other more important goodies. Point being, back up irons are not needed...that's going to cause some waves, but again, how many real life examples exist of "Joe Citizen" having to strip his rifle of it's optic in the midst of a blazing gun battle to switch to iron sights to fight for his life??? It's carbine class fantasy land....

Again, my $.02 only, do as you please....just speaking from the perspective of reality, not what a salesman is trying to convince you that you need.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJagr View Post
    You are your own man and can and should do as you please, but I have to ask, what real SHTF scenario do you really think you're going to be in that would cause your no-battery optic to fail to the point that you'd have to unscrew your scope mount and revert to back up irons?

That said, just cut the FSB down and save your money for ammo or other more important goodies. Point being, back up irons are not needed...that's going to cause some waves, but again, how many real life examples exist of "Joe Citizen" having to strip his rifle of it's optic in the midst of a blazing gun battle to switch to iron sights to fight for his life??? It's carbine class fantasy land....

Again, my $.02 only, do as you please....just speaking from the perspective of reality, not what a salesman is trying to convince you that you need.
    Murphy's Law.

It's not difficult to imagine, even in non-SHTF situations, for you to accidentally drop the rifle and shatter the glass on the scope. Will it likely to ever happen? That's the chance you will have to decide for yourself. Some people will take the chance and forgo BUIS, others like me want to be as prepared as I can be so I won't.

Another thing is that some people may want to practice shooting with both scope and iron sights. It adds to the fun and marksmanship skills.

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast