Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Butler County checking in

As far as the Evans City sportsman club goes. They won't be getting my money. I just received an email from somebody from the club 3 months after I sent the original inquiring about membership. Email stated that they are full, but trying to introduce an amendment increasing the member limit by 100 members. I don't have time for that kind of garbage. 3 months for an email back is pretty absurd. As inconvenient for me as it will be, I'll probably join the Pardoe Club in Grove City. They have an indoor pistol range with 24 hour access. I work 4-midnight so this would probably work best for me. Rates are really reasonable if you ask me, and I can't find any stupid ass rules like most clubs have. Only thing with this place is don't get your membership until June, otherwise it will have to be renewed in June again.

(Butler County)

You might want to consider the Summit Township Sportsman Club between Butler and Herman. I joined last year after taking a NRA pistol course and re-newed since it was such a positive experience. Here is a link to the website and if I can answer any questions please call me at 724-353-2491. My name is Dan.

(Butler County)

I had heard a while back that the proposed indoor range in Cranberry was still moving forward. The township's website shows that the plans are being reviewed.

Ellwand Shooting Sports Academy
    189,008 square foot facility on 22 acres at 20759 Route 19
    (just north of the fire station, on the west side of 19)

Interesting, going to have to keep updated with this.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmcbowflex View Post
    As far as the Evans City sportsman club goes. They won't be getting my money. I just received an email from somebody from the club 3 months after I sent the original inquiring about membership. Email stated that they are full, but trying to introduce an amendment increasing the member limit by 100 members. I don't have time for that kind of garbage. 3 months for an email back is pretty absurd. As inconvenient for me as it will be, I'll probably join the Pardoe Club in Grove City. They have an indoor pistol range with 24 hour access. I work 4-midnight so this would probably work best for me. Rates are really reasonable if you ask me, and I can't find any stupid ass rules like most clubs have. Only thing with this place is don't get your membership until June, otherwise it will have to be renewed in June again.
    new members can join for $15outdoor or $30indoor in January starting new this year. it should be on the new applications on their website

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Indoor shooting range proposed for Cranberry
    By Bill Vidonic
    Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Published: Saturday, Feb. 15, 2014, 7:03 p.m.

Keith Pindroh said he doesn't have major safety or noise concerns with a proposed indoor shooting range that would go next to his Route 19 vehicle repair business in Cranberry.

“I'm not anti-gun,” said Pindroh, an owner of Pindroh Bros. Auto Body. “I don't have a problem with this. It looks like it'll be top-notch stuff.”

Representatives of the Ellwand Shooting Sports Academy are scheduled to present plans to the Cranberry Planning Commission on Feb. 24 for a $14 million indoor shooting range and outdoor archery range.

Dave Gemperle, 56, of Cranberry, one of the project developers through Diversified Productivity Group, said the basement shooting range would be quieter than the constant drone of traffic along Route 19.

“There's really no place for the average joe if they don't belong to a sportsman's club to practice shooting sports,” said Gemperle, a pilot with FedEx. “On weekends, every gun facility in the area is packed.”

The closest indoor ranges are in New Stanton and West Mifflin, he said.

Plans for the proposed academy show a nearly 143,000-square-foot building with the shooting range in the basement. The academy would have a retail area for a sporting goods store and space for education and safety classrooms, social events and other amenities.

The building would have sound-dampening materials, Gemperle said, and a ventilation system that would clear smoke from fired weapons and remove pollutants before it leaves the building.

“If we can lower the noise, people have a better experience,” Gemperle said.

A National Rifle Association-certified trainer, Gemperle said people using the shooting range would first have to complete an instructional orientation so they know the safety rules.

He said his group will use mesh netting to keep arrows from the outdoor archery range from flying off property.

If Cranberry's planning commission and township supervisors approve the complex, the ranges could open in a year, Gemperle added.

Gemperle said his group has been working with township officials to avoid the problems experienced by a proposed indoor shooting range in nearby Jackson that resulted in years of litigation.

The project ultimately didn't materialize.

Gemperle said Rick Everly of Butler, a retired Marine, will be the academy's vice president of operations, while Ross architect Fritz Baehr, who is working on the academy design, will be vice president for range development.

There are few properties adjacent to the proposed site on the southbound side of Route 19. One home, which sits between the property and Cranberry's fire and EMS stations, has been up for sale. It's nearly 200 feet from the proposed shooting range.

Several buildings and residences are within 500 feet of the range, though the residences are separated from the property by the auto body shop and foliage. Cranberry also has maintenance facilities on the hillside just above the 22-acre site.

Ron Henshaw, Cranberry's community development director, said no complaints have come from the community about the project so far. He noted the township has an outdoor police training shooting range located near its maintenance facility.

He said developers have been talking with township officials about the project for several months.

“We like the project,” Henshaw said. “It's a unique use. People are a very interested in this use. As long as it complies with the ordinances, we're fine with it.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yo...#ixzz2tUMML4bw

(Beaver County)

That's minutes from my shop.

If this goes through, the wife will just have to understand it's going to take a little longer to get home!
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Indoor shooting range proposed for Cranberry

Thanks for the update.

(Butler County)

Wow,that's less than 5 minutes away from me. And a large retail area above the range. The article stated that if approved by the township,could be open within a year. I'm not getting too excited just yet,tho. Depends on how much they'll charge,what kind of guns and ammo will be allowed,and if I have to buy their ammo to shoot there.
    Anybody hear anything more about this,please post.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

There's an article in tomorrow's Cranberry Eagle (can't post a link since it's not available online yet). It says there will be 61 lanes, with different lanes for short, medium and long-range guns.

Cranberry still needs to approve the project, and the planning advisory commission will discuss the project at its meeting on Monday 5:30 PM at the municipal center. There was no public comment when they discussed it in a previous meeting, but they didn't know if the residents had heard about the plans yet. Now that it's in the paper, there may be some NIMBY anti-gun folks showing up to complain. You Cranberry residents should show up at the meeting and put in a good word for the project!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast