Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Backyard Rifle shooting is legal in Chester county??

Anybody know about E. Pikeland? Shooting allowed in backyards? Minimum acreage or other rules?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by retlaw View Post
    Hunting and target shooting are 2 different things. The use of a rifle for hunting is a Game Commission law. Target shooting is not controlled by the Game Commission.
    Assuming there are no local ordinances about discharging a firearm you should be good to go.

Now if deer walks onto your range I would call a cease fire as that might be hard to explain if you did shoot it.

There was a video (may have even been from a member here) of something happening and surprisingly it took a bit to scare the deer off. The person shooting the video commented that this never happens when he is actually hunting.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Montgomery County)

Most townships have the codes (laws) online nowadays. Check your township website.

(Chester County)

At this point, is anyone aware of a township that DOES allow discharge within Chester county? Looking to buy a house in the near future and would love to settle on a place that has a bit of space where I can plink away to my leisure on my own property. Haven't lived in this part of PA for more than a few years so I'm not really familiar with everything around here.

(Chester County)

Thumbs up Re: Backyard Rifle shooting is legal in Chester county??

I'm the Chairman of the Board of Supervisors in East Nottingham Township. We have a lot of open spaces and no discharge laws. I'm a life member of the NRA and as long as I'm on the board we will NEVER have discharge laws.
    -John Coldiron

(Chester County)

I'm familiar with Birmingham and Newlin townships. Newlin is no problem (it is more rural). In Birmingham, you can shoot in an area that you have designated and registered with the township as a target range. It has to be approved by the chief of police. I don't know how it works in practice. Here is an excerpt, but remember that you always need to read the whole township code to understand how it fits.

A. The use of firearms is permitted when employed by any duly appointed law officer in the course of his/her official duty.
    B. The use of firearms is permitted when necessary for the preservation of human life, as authorized in the Pennsylvania Crimes Code.
    C. The use of weapons is permitted when hunting in conformity with the Game Law Editor's Note: See 34 Pa.C.S.A. § 101 et seq. of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and any and all regulations promulgated thereunder, all other applicable laws of the commonwealth and the ordinances of this township; provided, however, that no person shall hunt upon or discharge any weapon upon the land of another unless such person has on his or her person a certification signed and dated by the landowner or lessor of the land, certifying that the bearer of the certification has been instructed by the owner or lessor concerning the topography, traffic conditions and natural and artificial hazards, if any, existing upon his land and the location of all buildings and structures on and within 150 feet of the property and stating that such person, identified by name and current hunting license number, has been granted permission to hunt upon the land. The date of the certification must be a date within the period for which the license is valid.
    D. The use of firearms shall be allowed on target ranges, indoor or outdoor, under the supervision of the owner or occupant of that land or his or her duly appointed representative, provided that:
    (1) All target ranges shall be constructed and operated in a safe and prudent manner. If standards, regulations or recommended procedures for operation are established or promulgated by any recognized body, such as the National Rifle Association or the American Trap Shooting Association, then such standards, regulations or procedures shall be adhered to.
    (2) Such range is registered as such with the Township by the owner or occupant of the land on which the range is located, which registration shall specify the area or areas designated for target range purposes.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
    I was just told by the Township and the State police that shooting a Rifle in your backyard was completely legal.
    I'm not sure this is true as you can only Deer hunt with a Shotgun here...weird.
    Why would you think this is weird ? When hunting you can't really control if the animal is in front of a mound of dirt as a backstop but on your backyard gun range you can.

(Chester County)

East Bradford Resident here:

So, I cannot knock off the pesky ground hogs from my rear deck?

Can you please direct me to the actual code, or a link close to see the no discharge Rule/Law?

Thank you
    Dan

http://ecode360.com/EA0855?needHash=true

Found it...
    FYI for others.
    Last edited by Vantactical; July 23rd, 2013 at 09:41 AM.

(Chester County)

I live in Westtown and here's all I can find about shooting: "The discharging on or across the streets or highways of air guns, spring guns, rifles or firearms of any kind or character whatsoever;"

In a literal reading, I would say we're good to go. If I'm in my backyard, I'm not "on or across the streets or highways", right?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdad View Post
    I live in Westtown and here's all I can find about shooting: "The discharging on or across the streets or highways of air guns, spring guns, rifles or firearms of any kind or character whatsoever;"

In a literal reading, I would say we're good to go. If I'm in my backyard, I'm not "on or across the streets or highways", right?
    The phrase "on or across the streets or highways" modifies "discharging".

So if you're discharging a gun across a street or highway you're in violation, whether you do it from your backyard or not.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast