Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Best powder measure for handgun loading

I'm in the market for a new powder measure specifically for loading handgun rounds. Thought I'd collect inputs before making an order. Thoughts?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Best powder measure for handgun loading

Depends in how much you want to spend. My RCBS Chargemaster is a real work horse but its a electric scale and power trickler combo. That's gonna be about 250ish if I remember. If your working stand alone maybe a Lee powder charger set up on a single stage press using their powder charging die and eliminate your expanding die.

Need more info in what you want to spend and your current setup to offer one piece of equipment.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Montgomery County)

i just bought the newest Lyman 2000. pretty junky. i'm thinking of sending it back and getting the Ohaus YJ series.

it seems that most reloading digitals are pretty crappy compared to the actual scientific lab ones.

*edit - sorry i thought we were talking about scales.*
    Last edited by Thomas Paine; March 10th, 2013 at 06:40 AM.

(Susquehanna County)

RCBS makes a pistol powder measure "Little Dandy"' powder measure with different rotors for different charge weights. Appx. cost $50. rotors appx. $10 each. I purchased mine thru Midway USA with extra rotors, simple to use. check RCBS for specs on rotors for different types of powder to use and weight.

(Bucks County)

god all this emphasis on exacting measurements is crazy. Just hold a case in left hand and pour from bottle with right hand. Eye-ball it. Sometimes I even mix in some rifle powder for that extra kick! Fill that case to the brim then jam a bullet on top. ............oh and also don't listen to a word I just said its purely facetious.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    Depends in how much you want to spend. My RCBS Chargemaster is a real work horse but its a electric scale and power trickler combo. That's gonna be about 250ish if I remember. If your working stand alone maybe a Lee powder charger set up on a single stage press using their powder charging die and eliminate your expanding die.

Need more info in what you want to spend and your current setup to offer one piece of equipment.
    I threw a rather broad net just to see how people might respond. I'll provide more specifics. I intend to do a lot of load development. Say loading several hundred rounds which consists of groups of maybe 25 rounds of bullet/powder combinations. I'll be working up loads in several handgun cartridges. This will be used to start narrowing down loads for further development. Then set up one of my progressing presses and run large batches.

Cost is not an object. Convenience and reasonable accuracy for pistol powders is important. This would lead me to a drop type measure. I have owned the RCBS Chargemaster. I don't find them to be efficient at small batches of loads.
    Last edited by tabasco_joe; March 10th, 2013 at 08:29 AM.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I'm just getting into reloading....

If you use the right powder and charge weight that fils the case, why not just pour the powder into a bowl and scoop it up till full?

I'm mostly kidding, but it seems like you can do that sometimes.......

I use a Hornady Lock & Load. Seems a lot slower that a mechanical thrower, but accuracy of measured loads is critical for a beginner.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Beaver County)

Wink Re: Best powder measure for handgun loading

Quote Originally Posted by tabasco_joe View Post
    I threw a rather broad net just to see how people might respond. I'll provide more specifics. I intend to do a lot of load development. Say loading several hundred rounds which consists of groups of maybe 25 rounds of bullet/powder combinations. I'll be working up loads in several handgun cartridges. This will be used to start narrowing down loads for further development. Then set up one of my progressing presses and run large batches.

Cost is not an object. Convenience and reasonable accuracy for pistol powders is important. This would lead me to a drop type measure. I have owned the RCBS Chargemaster. I don't find them to be efficient at small batches of loads.
    Yep not very efficient. But accurate weight drops. Most of your volumetric drops are not going to be that accurate in most scenarios. If you get the right powder that flows good your probly going to see at least a +/- .1 to .2 grain deviation in charge difference. This may or may not be what you want if your working the very high end or low end of the recipie. And again your powders are limited. I love Solo 1k but its useless for charges under 6 grains in any type of drop system. So that limits my caliber choice to 2 that I can use it for in a progressive press. If your experimenting I'd still use the Chargemaster or something simmilar.

I will say that I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of drop systems. The new Lee powder drop for their progressive system works good with the right powders at the right charge weights. Just as most will also. But if your stepping up to a progressive press later I would only look at ones that are going to be used on what ever press you buy. That way you can set it up on your single stage then go right to attaching it to your progressive already set up or just copy the settings right to the new press.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by HRearden View Post
    god all this emphasis on exacting measurements is crazy. Just hold a case in left hand and pour from bottle with right hand. Eye-ball it. Sometimes I even mix in some rifle powder for that extra kick! Fill that case to the brim then jam a bullet on top. ............oh and also don't listen to a word I just said its purely facetious.
    Then why say it?

The man asked a serious question.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Bucks County)

Sorry. This forum has no place for levity .every response must be factual, boring and devoid of any personality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast