Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New Ruger SP101 range report

Put 150 rounds through my new Ruger SP101 today. 120 .357 Magnums loaded light (158 grain lead round nose flat points at about 950 fps), and 30 rounds of mixed Federal 129 grain .38 Special +P Hydrashocks and Winchester white box 125 grain +P .38 Specials. Also put 20 rounds of .38 Special LSWC loaded to about 800 fps through it, a round that is a total pussycat. I'm officially in love!! Gun is downright pleasant to shoot, easy to control, and accurate. I found it very easy to hit the target. I shot this gun better than I do any of our others, I think, and do it with ease. It just seems to be a fit for me. My hand was a little tired after I was done shooting, but not sore, and I could have gone more if we'd had the time. This gun is going to be a LOT of fun for us over the course of time. I liked it enough that I'm thinking of taking it IDPA shooting. Wonder how many people are shooting SP101s at those matches?

We also put a couple rounds of snake shot through it. Any snake from 5 feet to 5 yards is gonna have a bad day, judging by the pattern the little gun threw.

Put some rounds through the Model 59 Cathy bought from board member 625. Performance was flawless, and we were pleased with it's accuracy. A very nice gun. I enjoyed shooting it, but not nearly as much as I like my SP101 Let our 8 y/o boy shoot it, and he managed to handle it, but looking at the videos, I don't think he's really ready for it... looks kind of like it's a bit much for him LOL. A couple dudes in the background of the video were getting a kick out of watching him shoot.

First target below is the thirty rounds of .38 Special +Ps, the second is about 40 rounds of the .357s (part of which was shot while Cathy was shooting the video below, unbeknownst to me until she asked me what I was shooting), both shot at 10 yards.

My gun is really dirty now, and I'm not sure I can get Cathy to clean it. I think she's gonna make me clean my own LOL. Bullseye powder and bullet lube is kind of a smokey, dirty combo.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; April 7th, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: New Ruger SP101 range report

The only thing i have to say is THANK YOU!! thank you for introducing another young person to shooting!! That is something i always love to see!

Default Re: New Ruger SP101 range report

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff4570 View Post
    The only thing i have to say is THANK YOU!! thank you for introducing another young person to shooting!! That is something i always love to see!
    The boy LOVES shooting, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping. Thank goodness for PA's mentored hunter laws, because I thought I was going to have to take him out of state to hunt small game and pay horrible non-resident fees. He's at the age now when we can get him hooked on something besides tv and video games. If we had to wait till he's twelve, it'd be a lot harder.

One of the things I and my wife love about shooting is how it is a family activity. It's why she likes buying guns so much, why her only question when we want to get something new is "do we have the money" instead of "what do you need that for?" I know I'm preaching to the choir, but we gotta snag 'em young, and get as many women and kids into our sport as we can. Numbers = power, and go a long way toward counter acting the image the anti-gun media loves to portray of guns somehow being an extenstion of certain male body parts. Cathy, being a very competitive person, really likes the fact that she can shoot with me, we can keep score from time to time, and the only deciding factor is our respective abilities (more often nowadays, which of us is shooting best on any given day) and not body strength, endurance, etc.

(Westmoreland County)

Like i said tha is fantastic i started shooting as soon as i could hold a 22 and i think it has ben one of the best things i ever did with my father and now in my college years.

Most of my friends have shooting and huntng backgrounds so we all trust each other and hunt and fish and shoot together.

I also agree withe fact that we need to get more women involved at least from my view. My mother and sister do not enjoy shooting. I have talked my girlfriend into shooting with me this summer.

(Lackawanna County)

What happened to the first video??? It's no longer available.

YubeTube Nazis?
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania View Post
    What happened to the first video??? It's no longer available.

YubeTube Nazis?
    Seems to be working now. Could be a momentary youtube glitch.

(Lackawanna County)

Hmmmmm.

Still says it's no longer available to me. The second one works though.
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC