Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Falls Township pistol and rifle club

I am a member there.

(Bucks County)

I have a question about falls and some of the rules. I heard that membership is for you and your spouse. Is this true? Are your under 18 children included? I would hope so because itd be nice to go shooting as a family and not have to pay guest fees for your child.

Also. If it includes your spouse, are they welcome to shoot without you being there? My wife would love to leave me home with the daughter and have some ladies time at the range (paying the guest fees for her friends)
    Also, I heard that guests can only shoot one at a time and not while the member is shooting. (Taking turns rule. I get that so the guests dont act irresponsible and load up a bunch of rounds or destroy anything). Would that apply to my wife too if we shot together? It would be nice if we took a couple with us and my wife and I could take turns supervising the guests.

If my wife and I can shoot at the same time, taking turns with guests (using two lanes) , her being able to go without me if she wants, and not have to pay every time our daughter would shoot with us (id be willing to pay any "junior member" fee on top of regular dues) I am willing to jump through the hoops of initiation and a waiting list to be a member. It'd be a no brainer. Plinking at as close as 25 yards with not only 22 but pistol caliber too... 24 hour indoor range where you can shoot fmj/jhp (no steel but why would I want to shoot steel anyways)

I saw holmesburg has an indoor range but it is pointless as its lrn only and lrn ammo is hard to come by. And plinking using a 22 pistol at 100 yards is tough. (Plinking using pellet guns no exception 100 yards for that too. Yuck).

Also is there a qualification needed for black powder at falls?

Seems to me the only advantage of holmesburg vs falls is membership I can bring my under 18 child (ren)
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Bucks County)

ccphilly,
    Let's try and explain one thing at a time. Membership at Falls includes your spouse. However, your spouse must observe when you are shooting and vice versa. If your spouse becomes qualified at falls she/he can shoot without your supervision. As a matter of fact a qualified spouse has their own gate card. She/he can use the facilities at any time by theirselves if they wish. To qualify one must go through the qualification process just like any new member. Anyone under the age of 17 can shoot for free. That means there are no guest fees., nor do they have to be family members. But, they must be supervised. That means you shoot they watch. They shoot ( one at a time) you watch. To get on the waiting list at Falls requires a sponsor. The sponsor must be a member in good standing for at least two years.
    As far as the plinking range goes; 25 yards is the max distance. If my memory is correct you can shoot as close as 7 yards. The indoor range is open 24/7. No magnums of any kind, no rifles except .22 rimfire or pellet. You do need to be qualified to shoot black powder on the 200 yard range only. Not on the 25, 50, or 100 yard ranges. Not to be uppity but I do not think you can compare Holmsburg and Falls. The facilities at Falls are the best in the area especially when you consider the cost of dues. But then again, Falls is not to everyone's liking. Please contact me if you have any other questions.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Bucks County)

I agree. The facilities are far superior and there is no comparison and you addressed my concerns very well. My wife would more than be happy to qualify. Holmesburg required wife without the "member husband" to be a member on her own (their way to get extra money) . Seeing that it wouldn't require a whole other "waiting list" "initiation fee" and "sponsor" was my main concern. Qualifying I could see as appropriate (wouldnt want a spouse to go on the range without knowing your rules and regulations).

I saw a person that works for the same company as me was up at trap shooting the other night. I presume he is a member. I will ask him if he is a member for 2 years and see if he would sponsor me.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smiggles View Post
    Are all events open to public I have a buddy who shoots sporting clays but that's not my cup mod tea but the cmp looks interesting , and is it something that I could come and spectate a match to see what it's about ?
    Trap, which is every Monday night 6p-9p, is open to the public.

5-Stand Sporting Clays, which is every 1st and 3rd Wednesday 6p-9p, is open to the public.

10-Stand Sporting Clays, which is every 1st and 3rd Sunday from 8:30a-3p, is open to the public.

I believe CMP is open to the public, and I think it runs on Saturdays (not sure which ones.)

(Bucks County)

Here's a link to the calendar page, there's a different PDF for each month and shows the days and events. CMP is on a Sunday.

http://www.ftrpa.org/events-calendar/
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Falls Township pistol and rifle club

Hello all,

I would be interested to get on the waiting list. So I will need a sponsor?

I am retired E9 Army and cannot say I know anyone at the club.

Anyone interested?

Thanks,

SGM

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgmwatkins View Post
    Hello all,

I would be interested to get on the waiting list. So I will need a sponsor?

I am retired E9 Army and cannot say I know anyone at the club.

Anyone interested?

Thanks,

SGM
    Maybe we can be up there monday for trap and see if a few members would let us shoot rifle as guests so our waiting time won't feel as bad. I heard its a year and a half wait. Im willing to wait. My wife would kill me if I spent the initiation fees right now. A year time would let me build up my slush fund. He he.

(Bucks County)

SGM Watkins,

As a long time member of FTRPA, the membership is capped for a reason. First, all work done at the club is done without pay. The work involved managing the membership and the club is done by people just like you and me. It's a thankless job. Just getting the renewals out at a particular date and making sure that you're only billed for what you owe takes nights out of every one's free time.
    Second, there are shoots at the club that the public is allowed to participate in. Trap shoots on every Monday night is one way. Another way is the various rifle and pistol shoots scheduled through the month. There's lever action silhouette shoots once a month. The only requirement is a lever gun that feeds through a tubular magazine, .22, pistol caliber or rifle caliber. Handgun Metallic Silhouette shoots on the first Sunday of the month. If you have an accurate air rifle, there's Field target held every other month. I'm not talking BB guns here or something out of WalMart. Air guns that will shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards. If you're into Archery, we have shoots under the lights on Friday nights.
    Look over the calendar, find something you might be interested in and come out and shoot it. It's the way all of us have had to get sponsored.
    Yes, we have rules and they must be obeyed but they're there for a reason. Our club is close to a residential area. All of the rules are designed so bullets don't leave the premises and to keep everyone safe.
    This Saturday is a Small Bore Rifle Match based on Palma targets.
    Send me an email message with your phone number and I'll contact you. If you want to watch the shoot, you can call my cell and I'll open the gate for you. hjets@yahoo.com

John

(Bucks County)

Did trap last night there. Still unsuccessful in getting someone to sponsor me for the waiting list. Would anyone meet with me there and we shoot together with me as your guest? I want to get on the waiting list.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast