Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Wonderful Route 6 Range - Revisited

Please....Directions to this range and can I, being from NY, use it? Thanks in advance.
    No arsenal ... is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

(Lackawanna County)

If y you have a range permit you can use it. Im not sure why youd want to use it though. Its pretty much last resort for us lol

Looks like those photos could be from the SGL at French Creek park down my way. Total horseshit. Nothing a few game cameras (including one on the access road to hit the license plates) wouldn't solve. Or even better, some PSP patrols.

I called the PSP once in December there when guys started shooting at 11am (range officially opens at noon on Sunday), while the ENTIRE rest of the line was there waiting for noon. Same guys were shooting full mags (range limit is 3, I don't like it either, but it's the rules), and shooting up the backstops. Also shooting shotshells. PSP came up and sat out in the lot, watched for a bit, then came down and F'd those guys up. City folk too. Looked like one of them had a warrant, and one was DUI. Awesome.

Guy up there last week didn't have a range permit. I don't really care much, except that I had to pay, why shouldn't he? Well, it was me and him there, and I'm shooting, and the PSP shows up. This guy was trying to pack up and escape, but couldn't. PSP tells him he either buys a range permit right there on the spot via his phone, or he gets the 300$ fine, plus he gets his gear searched. The guy was shooting steel targets, which he was cited for, and was shooting steel real estate signs he had posted at like 10 meters, which he also was cited for. Not sure what the offense or fine was, but this trooper meant business. He took one look at me, saw my CPT bars on my cover, and saluted and went back to his car.

Public ranges suck, but you don't deal with the same BS for 10x the price that you get at a pay range. Nor the politics. Nor the bar.

Do your part, clean up. See something, say something. Word gets out that the PSP goes up to that range all the time, that they hand out citations, it will improve. I'd also send email or phone calls to the PGC requesting game cameras up there to reduce costs to us taxpayers. Send like 1000000000 emails. Call every day. I think tomorrow I'll send in my suggestion.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Please....Directions to this range and can I, being from NY, use it? Thanks in advance.
    Range permit OR valid PA hunting license. And like the previous poster said. Don't be "that guy" follow the rules. No shotshells, no steel targets, don't shoot up the target stands, etc.

I go there quite a bit and the problem children there always have NY or NJ plates..... sorry for the guilt by association.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    If y you have a range permit you can use it. Im not sure why youd want to use it though. Its pretty much last resort for us lol
    Indeed, I rather plink with my air pistol before really going to that place.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Pike County)

While I was up there this past Friday, it was pretty busy. And most everything was in pretty good shape. Seems as the weather gets nicer (a relative term) they are keeping up with the maintenance more.

The downside was all the garbage now that most of the snow has melted. Shotgun cases and .22 EVERYWHERE. I did the right thing and picked up all the usable brass I could find

A young mother showed up with two kids approx 8-11 years old with a new bolt action .22. I was an odd sight to see. She was wearing Coach shoes, a skirt, blouse and jacket. They were very nice. The kids were very respectful. A couple of us helped them out with the rules. And made sure that they were clear to the kids also.

She said that they forgot to bring a target. I told her I had some in my car that she could have one (a round target, not a person silhouette). When I brought it back I pointed to the older kid (her son) and said "You're in charge, what do we do?" He looked up and down the range and yelled "CLEAR" and waited for everyone to respond. All of us then went and stuck the target up. Stayed and chatted with a few other people. The mother and kids were hell bent on using their whole box of ammo I think....

All in all, a good day

(Pike County)

Stopped by to test fire the sks and the wife's Ruger LC380. Every target stand is down on the 25 and 50 yard range. Shotgun shells all over downrange

(Pike County)

I went their yesterday morning and used the 25 yard range. God, it felt good to get some shooting in. I think its been close to 5 months without it. Took my ol' lady with me who I got to fire the 9mm, .40, and .357 magnum. She wasn't ready for the 12 guage. This was her very first time shooting. I think she is over her hoplophobic ways. Left after a couple hours and she actually thanked me for the experience. I was able to staple some targets over the used ones and it served it's purpose. She even hit the target with the G19 a couple times. lol, she did better her first time out than I did last summer when I started out. Yesterday was the first time I ever shot a .357 magnum and the 12 guage. Damn, it was fun. Can't wait till I take her with me again. Ed, If you're on this forum It was a pleasure meeting you.

If anyone has some 'pull', it would be great if the rules were modfified for those of us who pay PA taxes and have a range permit to use our own target stands. If what we pay for is unservicable due to the others who shoot the shit out of the place and screw it up for us, we ought to have the right to our own remedy. The idea that we have to pay for upkeep, not get what we pay for, and then suffer a fine for providing for ourselves what should be there in the first place is an affront.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drgiggles1 View Post
    I went their yesterday morning and used the 25 yard range. God, it felt good to get some shooting in. I think its been close to 5 months without it. Took my ol' lady with me who I got to fire the 9mm, .40, and .357 magnum. She wasn't ready for the 12 guage. This was her very first time shooting. I think she is over her hoplophobic ways. Left after a couple hours and she actually thanked me for the experience. I was able to staple some targets over the used ones and it served it's purpose. She even hit the target with the G19 a couple times. lol, she did better her first time out than I did last summer when I started out. Yesterday was the first time I ever shot a .357 magnum and the 12 guage. Damn, it was fun. Can't wait till I take her with me again. Ed, If you're on this forum It was a pleasure meeting you.
    I apologize in advance if I'm misunderstanding something but if you're shooting a shotgun on the 25 yard range, STOP IT. If I'm not mistaken you cannot shoot shotgun there. If I am mistaken please correct me.
    Mike V
    NRA Life/Endowment Member
    Better people be distressed by my freedom than my oppression

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast