Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Cleaning pistol question

I'm still relatively new to shooting, so I like to ask questions to clarify anything I'm not 100% about. Anyway, I was cleaning my CZ 82 up today. For the most part, I clean it until the patches show no color - however, some hard to reach places, like the extractor and whatever the equivalent of a bolt face is on a pistol, are difficult to clean and may continually show black. While I can get at them, I'm not sure if it's good enough because, like I said, they still show some black on the patches and I can just tell I'm not making excellent surface contact with their valleys, ridges, etc. I've used a plastic jag for extra pressure, but it's still not an easy task because of how small the parts are compared to my hands. So, basically, my question is to what degree do firearms need to be cleaned? I can't tell if I'm being really anal or it HAS to be 100%.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Cleaning pistol question

Some guns come cleaner than others, at least that is my experience. Have you tried Q-Tips one of my very favorite gun cleaning tools!!! I am anal about my guns, after I shoot them I generally spend the next few days breaking them down finding tiny little places I missed and getting it all shiny. CZ's are good strong guns and I am sure you did just fine. But there is nothing wrong with being anal either, just make sure you don't go messing with things you are not sure about.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(York County)

Agreed some guns are cleaner than others, some fuction a little better when they got a little dirt in them. Nothing wrong with be clean though.

BB
    3%

I'am kind of anal myself when it comes to cleaning my guns, what I do is field strip them and then I use my parts cleaner tank with a pump and get into all the little cracks, after that I use high pressure air to blow everything out, then I take my time and oil lightly all metal parts. this works for me and the cleaner dosen't seem to bother the plastic parts. but I don't field strip all the time if I only run a few rounds I just clean the barrel each time. Scott

(Berks County)

Only thing I can add is to pick up a can of compressed air (computer shops have them, ive seen them at walmart too) and use that to blow cleaning solvent thru the tight areas after letting it soak a minute or so.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    Some guns come cleaner than others, at least that is my experience. Have you tried Q-Tips one of my very favorite gun cleaning tools!!! I am anal about my guns, after I shoot them I generally spend the next few days breaking them down finding tiny little places I missed and getting it all shiny. CZ's are good strong guns and I am sure you did just fine. But there is nothing wrong with being anal either, just make sure you don't go messing with things you are not sure about.
    Q TIPS! DUH! Why didn't I think of that?

I'm giving rep for that suggestion.

(Washington County)

Talking Re: Cleaning pistol question

The CZ-82 cleans up easier than alot of pistols. That weird rifling (polygonal?) usually takes a brush and a couple of patches, and it's good to go. I am also a Q-Tip proponent. Dental picks work great for the small spaces. I am odd in that I think some guns can be too clean. The AK works if you crap in the action, and actually seems to run better (for me,at least) when dirty. Just my two pennies.

I use pipe cleaners for things like extractors and other hard to get to nooks & crannies.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    I use pipe cleaners for things like extractors and other hard to get to nooks & crannies.
    Another fine idea. I feel incredibly dense for not thinking of this myself.

(Berks County)

No need to feel dense. I never thought of compressed air till i saw it online somewhere. I have cans of it laying all over the place for cleaning out my computers and never thought to use it while cleaning a gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast