Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default First time gun buyer

Hello all, I will be turning 21 in just over a month, and will be looking to purchase my first firearm. If you have any suggestions or recommendations for a first gun, i'm looking for something solid, cheap, reliable and easy to break down. I have looked at .38 special snub noses for their concealment. I also ride motorcycles every chance I get so if you know of any gun/holster combinations that are comfortable for riding, let me know. I was thinking maybe a leg holster, or vest. I can only afford to spend around $300-500.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: First time gun buyer

Quote Originally Posted by Ctk4892 View Post
    Hello all, I will be turning 21 in just over a month, and will be looking to purchase my first firearm. If you have any suggestions or recommendations for a first gun, i'm looking for something solid, cheap, reliable and easy to break down. I have looked at .38 special snub noses for their concealment. I also ride motorcycles every chance I get so if you know of any gun/holster combinations that are comfortable for riding, let me know. I was thinking maybe a leg holster, or vest. I can only afford to spend around $300-500.

I expect others who ride will weigh in on carry options and since I don't, I won't try.

I researched a lot before buying my first firearm and I went with a Glock 19. 9mm is not too expensive, and the G19 (as a 'compact' firearm) is comfortable for me to open or conceal carry. Glock reliability was the deciding factor for me.

Now I'll step out of the way for the 1911ers to give you some advice too

If you have a range near you, go and try out a few different firearms to see what you like.

Since you are a first buyer, here is some info that might benefit you.

Here's a bit of info that might help you.

This is a very basic outline for someone new to guns and considering getting a firearm in Pa. I thought it might be helpful based on a recent thread I read here and a conversation I had last night with someone thinking about getting a gun. I did a search and did not find a post dedicated to just this topic but my googlefu might be off. I figure anyone doing a search might come across this and hopefully it will give some helpful info. There are great sources on this site that have more info. (a couple which I listed below) While I do address some of the info in those sources, I am trying to focus on the difference between the process of buying a gun and getting a LTCF.

I am not an expert, lawyer or lawmaker, just a gun owner who was once new to the processes and topics below. This list is for beginners and not complete. It omits a lot of in depth things that you will learn about if you choose to get more involved with firearms.

General Info

1.* In Pa you can own guns for in home/property use or carry for protection. 2.* Both the U.S Constitution and Pa Constitution have sections pertaining to peoples right to bear arms. 3.* Gun laws vary from state to state. What works in Pa will not work in NJ. 4.* In Pa you can own a gun as long as you are not a prohibited person.* Your criminal or mental background would determine if you are prohibited. 5.* You do NOT need a LTCF just to own a gun in Pa. You do need a LTCF if you intend to conceal carry in Pa.

Process to obtain a gun

To buy a handgun or new long gun in Pa, you will: 1.* You will buy it from a seller who has a Federal Firearms License (FFL) or they will send it/sell it through a person with a FFL. 2.* The FFL will charge you a fee above the price of your gun to transfer the gun to you. The price varies depending upon the person with the FFL.*Generally $30-50 from what I've seen. 3. You will be required to fill out paperwork when purchasing the gun. The paperwork will ask various questions to determine if you are prohibited. 4.* After you have finished the paperwork, the FFL will make a phone call to Pa Instant Check System (PICS) which is linked to the National Instant Criminal Background check System (NICS) run by the FBI. 5.* The PICS check is the final word at that moment if you are a prohibited person or not.

If you are found to be a prohibited person, you will not be allowed to take the gun with you. You will then have to determine why you are prohibited.

If you are not a prohibited person you will be allowed to have the gun and take it home right then.* You are allowed to take the gun home in your car without a LTCF if you go straight home. It is important to note that passing a NICS check does not mean you now have a LTCF or even that you will be approved to have a LTCF. That is a different process

Carrying a gun

There are basically two types of carry, open (OC) or concealed (CC).

A. Open Carry: Carrying a gun in public where everyone can see it. There are laws that you need to know if you do this. See the links below.

B.* Concealed Carry: In Pa you may get a License to Carry a Firearm (LTCF) This allows you to CC which means carry a handgun on your person while hidden. (the gun, not you ) It can be hidden in an Inside the Waistband holster (IWB), ankle holster, shoulder holster, pocket carry and so on. You may OC if you have a LTCF. You may NOT CC if you do not have a LTCF. It also allows you to carry in a car and during a state of emergency.

The LTCF will allow you to CC or OC anywhere legal in Pa. Here is a resource that is well worth the time to read.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/gen...nsylvania.html (READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania) (READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania)

and another great resource: http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/gen...carry-you.html (Your Pennsylvania Gun Rights ~Handy flyer to carry with you.) (Your Pennsylvania Gun Rights ~Handy flyer to carry with you.)

* To apply for a LTCF: (Note:this is suppose to be uniform across the state but there still seem to be variations, especially in Philadelphia. Hopefully someone who understands Philly better than I can do will add to this)

1.* You must be 21. 2. * You go to your Sheriffs Office at your county courthouse and fill out an application. (or print one out and fill it in ahead of time). Take a photo ID with you. 3.* You should only have to pay a $20 fee and they will process your application. 4.* They ask you for 2 references. You can use anyone who is not a family member. 5.* They will do a background check. They use (PICS) run by the Pa State Police. 6.* They have up to 45 days to process the application.* Each county is different, some do it the same day, others take the entire time. 7.* Pa is a "Shall Issue" state which basically means they need a good legal reason to not issue you a LTCF. 8.* If you have been found to be an acceptable person to have a LTCF, you will receive a letter telling you that you have been approved. They will either send you your LTCF or you then take the letter to the Sheriffs office and they will issue your LTCF. 9.* If they deny your application there is a process to find out why and challenge it.* Don't waste time, get to it once you get your denial letter. There can be reasons that simple challenge will overcome.

Couple of facts/things worth further research:

There are different laws that apply to handguns and Long guns. You should know the laws for whichever you have.

You can't just lend/give a gun to whomever you want. Look up info or ask questions before lending/giving a gun to someone. -----------------------------------------------------------------------Remember, you might currently have the right to own guns, not knowing the Pa gun laws could easily lose you that right once you have a gun.

btw....... those links I posted earlier, here they are again in case you ignored them for some reason. My info is basically procedural info for someone wondering how to go about getting a gun. The links are really worth your time to read and may save your rights, the information is that valuable.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/gen...nsylvania.html (READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania) (READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania)

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/gen...carry-you.html (Your Pennsylvania Gun Rights ~Handy flyer to carry with you.) (Your Pennsylvania Gun Rights ~Handy flyer to carry with you.)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    I expect others who ride will weigh in on carry options and since I don't, I won't try.

I researched a lot before buying my first firearm and I went with a Glock 19. 9mm is not too expensive, and the G19 (as a 'compact' firearm) is comfortable for me to open or conceal carry. Glock reliability was the deciding factor for me.

Now I'll step out of the way for the 1911ers to give you some advice too
    odds are you wont find a g19 in your price range at this time, i carry a m&pc and love it, those also would be on the higher end of your budget though.

If you are going to carry even openly get your LTCF as it will help avoid some problems and abuse from LEOs.

Holsters are more preference and you may have to try a few

(Chester County)

If you're looking for something compact for the sake of self-defense/carry and not so much a range gun (meaning something favoring concealable size over longer sight radius), you might want to consider something like a Beretta Nano or Ruger LC9. These are right in the middle of your price range and would give you some extra cash for a few boxes of ammo or that holster you're looking for. I can't vouch for the Ruger, but I have a Nano and it's a comfortable little pistol to shoot even with +P 9mm ammo. I got mine for under $400 on Gunbroker a few months ago. I haven't put much through it but it has a good reputation for reliability and it's a Beretta product so I feel confident in its quality. It's extremely easy to take down for service/cleaning and gives you the option of interchangeable frames (if you ever drop yours and ding up the frame, or if you want to change colors, a new frame is about $30-$40 and isn't the licensed part so you can buy them online without transferring). The reasons I decided to purchase it were the slim profile (single stack 6-round magazines) and the stupidly simple design. There are essentially no external controls (no safety, no slide release, no external takedown levers) to snag or get caught and makes it a breeze to holster and retrieve, the sights can easily be changed due to the use of screws front and rear and they're pretty good for such a small pistol, and the overall size and weight make it practical in 9mm but easily concealable. I know some folks have mixed feelings about the value and purpose behind night sights and lasers, but I just ordered a Lasermax Centerfire module for my Nano which will mate up perfectly with the contours of the frame and triggerguard and gives you control over activation by not immediately lighting upon grabbing the grip like a Crimson Trace unit. The size and contour will also make it simpler for me to carry it.

Another gun I personally carry almost all the time is my S&W Bodyguard 380 due to the integrated laser and its ridiculously comfortable carry dimensions and attributes. It's almost impossible not to have a means to carry it regardless of dress and activity. Just keep in mind that it's a .380 ACP so it is on the light side of a defensive round but in it I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo that's been demonstrated to have very effective results on ballistic gel so I feel relatively confident that I can count on it to save my life. The integrated laser in the frame on the Bodyguard is an awesome feature that drew me to it. This pistol is about the same price as a Nano. It's a DOA trigger with a somewhat heavy pull and it is a rather long pull but that's what I'd expect in such a compact pistol, even if it's equipped with a safety. The controls are all low profile and the sights are fairly decent considering what it is. It only comes with one 6 round mag but extras are fairly easy to find and cheap on eBay. It's got a little bite due to the small size and weight for a .380 but that's a small price to pay for a defensive tool. It's been completely dependable for me and is one of the more highly-regarded pocket pistols.

A couple other suggestions I can make from my own experience would be a Springfield XD sub-compact which will push your budget to the limit unless you can find one used at a FAIR price (might be a little tricky right now). I have an XD-S and a 45 Compact which I love but would be outside your budget at the moment. I've never owned a Glock, but to me, the XD is everything a Glock is and more with extra features such as a prominent loaded chamber indicator and cocked striker indicator and a very comfortable grip profile. Mags and accessories are rather plentiful and mine have been able to chew up any ammo I've used and the triggers are very nice. I also like my Sig P250 and have a few calibers and frames for it (it too is an interchangeable frame/action design like the Nano, only more adaptable until Beretta opens up the line more). The Sig is a DAO but to me has a wonderful trigger on it, even if the pull is a bit long for some users. Just about any that you find come with factory night sights, and the sub-compacts aren't much bigger than a Nano albeit thicker with a double-stack design but that also means more ammo. Be sure to get a 2nd-gen model if you go this route as the 1st-gen had issues apparently (the logo is higher up on the grip instead of in the middle, and near the butt there's a cut-out that's not present on the first gen which are essentially flat across the butt), along with a flat picatinny rail on the 2nd-gen versus a rail with a rounded/bulged profile. I don't see a lot of older P250s for sale, especially if you buy new. One of the great advantages is that as you come into additional funds you can buy caliber exchange kits for about $250 and get a bigger frame in the same or a different caliber and essentially have another pistol and not have to do another transfer as the kits can be bought online, even on eBay. I have a 2SUM which is the 9mm sub and full size frame/slide/barrels, a full size 45 ACP kit on backorder with Sig, and just got a 357 Sig Compact kit. The ONLY drawbacks to me are that there aren't many accessories to customize or tweak the P250 but more importantly that extra mags aren't cheap - about $50 each, no matter where you look and they're hard to come by right now but you can backorder with Sig.

These are just a few recommendations and I'm certain there will be others, and perhaps some counterpoints to my suggestions, so take them for what they are. Good luck in your search.

(Chester County)

An article that might be worth looking at, as well:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/09/1...for-under-400/

(Philadelphia County)

Hey, I ride too! Congrats on your license! I really like the Ruger SR9c if you're into 9mm's. The snub noses just hurt me, but being 5'2" and 115lbs I guess that's normal. They aren't the greatest beginner guns though if you don't have much experience. I think the Ruger would be great for you, but that's just my two cents.

(Chester County)

I am new to this also.
    within 3 weeks I purchased a Sig 226 Extreme,Ruger P95 stainless steel and then a Walther P22 tactical They are all fun to shoot!
    I installed a laser onto the 226.

(Allegheny County)

I carry a Sig P226, but it's not compact by any means. I would look into a S&W Shield and see how you like it as it's pretty compact/thin, or maybe a Glock 26 but these options may be above your price range, especially in our current market but they are two options I'm considering once I can budget for something more concealable.

(Chester County)

The type of gun you want to carry concealed while riding is going to depend on what you are riding and how you dress. If you ride a harley and wear jeans and a loose t-shirt with a vest or leather jacket will expand your carry options and i would recommend a g-19 or g26. If you ride a crotch rocket and are in a front leaning rest position, you may want to go with an ankle holster as your best bet, unless you wear a full riding jacket. If you wear a full jacket on your crotch rocket then you can maybe get away with a small of your back, inside the waistband (iwb) holster. If you wear just a tshirt, you wil be leaning to far forward. A side holster will stick out too far and a iwb holster anything forward of hip will be too uncomfortable on a crotch rocket. If you ride a harley, i have worn iwb holsters on the small of my back, my hip and also carried my g26 inside my vest pocket. I also carried both my g26 or my s&w ladysmith 357 in my boot when i didnt feel like wearing a jacket. You can also easily get away with wearing a shoulder rig if you wear a jacket. That will let you carry something bigger like a 1911 or smith 686.