Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Lee Presses

(Centre County)

Default Lee Presses

I was wondering if anyone could help? I am going to buy a Lee Turret Press and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Standard Turret Press. I am only asking because it is cheaper that the Classic Turret Press. You could save a few bucks if you purchase the Standard Turret Press and then the primer feeds separate, but is the quality less?

Thanks...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Lee Presses

I have been using a standard Lee 3 hole turret since the 80's. It is a fine press. I do not use the auto rotation feature. The only thing that ever makes me want to upgrade to the classic cast is the 4 hole turret and that the classic cast catches the primers in a tube. The standard press drops the primers into the base. As to the primer feed, I use a Lee hand tool to prime.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wryekid View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could help? I am going to buy a Lee Turret Press and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Standard Turret Press. I am only asking because it is cheaper that the Classic Turret Press. You could save a few bucks if you purchase the Standard Turret Press and then the primer feeds separate, but is the quality less?

Thanks...
    I started reloading in 1958 and have bought no commercial center-fire ammo since then.
    I used 3 of the old Herter's model 3 C-type presses until Lee brought out their Classic Cast press a couple years ago.I liked their spent primer catching system on this press.I'm getting too old to crawl around on the floor to pick up decapped primers.
    I've loaded a lot of ammo in 50 years and could not see the value of a turret press,except as a place to store dies.
    If I'm loading 500 .357's or 200 06's,I do one operation on the whole batch before going to the next operation.
    I believe the turret design just introduces more "slop" or chance of mis-alignment of the die and shell-holder.
    I also use Lee's hand priming tool as you can feel the primers seat.It is also safer than the primer feed systems on some progressive presses.
    Ron
    The older I get,the better I used to be !!

(Tioga County)

having owned both now I can tell you I think the Classic cast is worth it.