Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    aim30 Guest

Question 45 home def. ammo

Need some advice on 45 home def. ammo.My family consists of 4.there are 4 bedrooms.So my concern is,if i ever have to use my home def. gun{glock30}I dont want the bullet going through my target and traveling through a wall and into another room.Right now I have a clip full of Hornady 230g tap jhp. Ive heard alot about Federal hydra shock and Extreme shock air freedom round. Anyone have info or exp. with either round?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: 45 home def. ammo

These are the recommendations of Dr. Gary Roberts, one of the foremost authorities in the country on the terminal performance of ammunition.

Bear in mind, most modern handgun projectiles will penetrate common building materials. That's why we have Rule #4.

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Notes:
    -- Obviously, clone loads using the same bullet at the same velocity work equally well (ie. Black Hills ammo using Gold Dot bullets, etc…)

The day I picked off a 20 pound raccoon with 3 federal 230gr Hydra-shoks and saw that only 1 had exited, and that bullet could be pulled out of the tree with my fingers once it cooled, was the day I chose Hydra-shoks for my home defense load. Been using it for varminting, too - no complaints here. Expansion is good, and when it hits the target, it stops more or less on a dime.

(Lancaster County)

Stay away from Extreme Shock unless you are a mall ninja with lots of money to throw away.
    Federal Hydrashock and Hornady TAP will get the job done if you do your part but there is better stuff available.

(Northampton County)

Doubletap 230g golddot. Around 950-960fps from a 5" barrel.
    If you like lighter they also have a 185gr at around 1150fps.

I tend to go for heavier bullets for defense.

If your gun can handle it Buffalobore has a .45super....230golddot at 1100fps from a 5".

(Northampton County)

As one other poster pointed out, a Hydra-shok went through a raccoon and then into a tree.

I think what you're looking for is a frangible round. Frangible bullets are designed to disintegrate when they contact a surface harder then the bullet itself (like a wall). They can be just a lethal when striking soft tissue and still deliver similar energy as that of a standard FMJ. There are a number of manufactures that offer frangible rounds.

I have similar concerns, that if I ever need to fire my weapon in my house, I want to reduce the chance of the bullet penetrating a wall or floor and injuring a family member or guest.

The first thing I've done is develop a plan with my family. In the event of a home invasion, we have tried to determine where my wife and son will be in relation to where I am. In other words, if I KNOW where they are, then I KNOW if I fire, they are not in my line of fire, even behind a wall.

The other thing I've done is invest in some frangible ammo and I keep a specific, marked, magazine that goes into the gun when I'm home. I have 2 frangibles followed by Federal Hydrashocks. My intent here is that if my shot placement is on, the frangibles hit their target and stop the threat. If they do not stop the threat the 3rd round is the JHP and is going for the brain bucket. I train with the method of a double tap to COM and a controlled and slowed 3rd to the center of the face. Or, if I miss, the BG now understands I'm armed and intend on stopping the threat and the BG runs away.

YMMV

Skullz

(Chester County)

I use Remington Golden Saber 230 gr jacketed hollow points

(Washington County)

I recently posed thsi same question to a friend of mine who works at my local gun shop..

He recommended that I load my 13 round clip for my Glock 23 with 8-9 rounds of Federal Hydra Shock 165 gr JHP, and then top it off with Glaser Safety Slugs..

According to him, the logic behind this is that the first 3-4 shots will be safe for firing indoors and reduce the risk of over penetration, and if you hit the intruder, it will do a lot of damage, and if he is able to evade, finish him off with the standard rounds when it safer to do so..

Also he recommended getting the type of frag ammo used by the Air Marshals
    http://frangibleammo.com/catalog/387...adf3cf501.aspx

Dave
    Last edited by dmcdonnell; April 7th, 2008 at 12:21 PM.

(Allegheny County)

First remember: all handgun rounds are ineffective fight stoppers!

With that said, I will also steer you towards Dr. Roberts’s recommendations as posted by TonyF.

In a .45 acp round I personally like the Gold Dot 230 gr JHP and the Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP

Good luck with your choice,
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(York County)

I agree witht he idea of the frangible rounds. I also agree that handguns are ineffective fight stoppers. The best thing for home defense in my opinion will always be the 12g shotgun. You can use game loads, due to the fact that you will ost likely be firing at very short distances thus the small projectiles will be still be in a singular solid mass.

BB
    3%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast