Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Taylors shut down

Quote Originally Posted by 18mm View Post
    There has been another FFL holder working there since Taylor's license was revoked and is operating with business as usual. It's perfectly legal too.

That's good news then!

(Dauphin County)

Taylor's ended up being closed for just a few weeks and that was it, I was in months ago to pick up some .357 ammo. I can tell you that running under the new FFL that the prices are even higher than what they used to be. I stopped going there at the moment because I can get just about anything...guns, ammo, holsters, etc for cheaper online or at another local gun shop.

(York County)

Sad to say but his FFL is permanently revoked, he lost the appeal.
    He said he is selling all of his inventory under private sales.

(York County)

Does anyone have any additional info on what is being sold? Is there a list available, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by franklinman View Post
    Does anyone have any additional info on what is being sold? Is there a list available, etc.?
    I have not been to Scott's since last year. Unless he has already drastically drawn down the inventory, it would be worth the trip. The shop was always packed with inventory.

(York County)

Yes, the couple of times I was in there it always seemed that he had a lot of stuff, and a decent used selection as I remember it too. The only problem was that I always found what I was looking for was available elsewhere for a significantly lower price. I also tried once to do a trade with him and his offer was so low as to be ridiculous (if not downright insulting). I'm not really desperate for any firearms at present, although there are still a few things on my wanted list that I'd go for if they came along at a fair price, and I can always use ammo and/or reloading components. If he's having some sort of "going out of business" clearance I'd take a shot at heading down there to check it out. It's not that far for me.

(York County)

Well, I happened to have to be in Gettysburg yesterday and decided to take the scenic route home and stop into Taylors. I can only say that this will definitely be my last time going there. From what I remember from my last visit a couple of years back there haven't been any change(s). There's still plenty of guns for sale, a fair selection of ammo, and a ton of misc. supplies, holsters, etc. A lot of the stuff on the shelves looked like it had probably been there the last time I was in. In other words, the inventory was no better or worse that what you might find in any other medium sized gun shop. BUT... the prices were still very high. I can only see someone (at least someone that has a decent grasp on the current market pricing) buying there if they were absolutely desperate and the item simply wasn't available anywhere else. I'm not that desperate for anything they had. Before anyone jumps me about patronizing your local dealer, let me say that I often buy ammo, reloading supplies, and occasionally a gun from any one of several gun shops (i.e. Trops, Shyda's, Mech. Ordnance, etc.). I don't even mind paying a bit more than what's offered on-line, which often is a wash once you factor in shipping, insurance, and FFL fees. But I draw the line when the prices get up to 30 to 50 percent over what I can buy it for elsewhere. During the 10-15 minutes that I was there, there were 3 or 4 other customers come in, checked out the prices and left. I talked with another guy, who's also a member on this forum, that walked out with me, and he made the same observations as well. About the only other place that comes near to Taylors around here is Reddings in Gettysburg. The additional problem with Reddings is that the folks there act like you're bothering them if you ask questions or what to see something. I'll stick to shops that have more reasonable pricing and at least act like they're happy to see me. YMMV

(Adams County)

I went to reddings 2 months ago. went for a lb. of unique powder. their price $42. never again will I darken their door.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    I went to reddings 2 months ago. went for a lb. of unique powder. their price $42. never again will I darken their door.
    Redding's has been high with their pricing for a long time...and with Taylor's going under I imagine their prices will go even higher because there isn't much competition around. The Gettysburg Trading Post, being a pawn shop, is hit or miss on their pricing...but their good deals are normally really good. Redding's issues go beyond just absurd pricing as the jerks that work there are normally punk kids in their 20's that think they know everything. I stopped doing business with them totally when I found out how much they wanted for a simple transfer on a gun they didn't sell. There are plenty of nice shops in Franklin County that I go to now...which makes me feel bad since I was born and raised in Adams.

(York County)

Taylors must be closing , my buddy was there yesterday and there are no rifles shotguns or pistols in the place . Just a few air rifles there ... when asked " the man behind the counter stated they are having trouble with there supplier".
    Last edited by snowpro440; August 20th, 2014 at 11:39 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123