Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Considering Frog Lube

I want to at least give it a try. Anyway, I understand the initial application process, it's just the "after I shoot" process where I get confused.

The way I understand it, and this is, AFTER SHOOTING (within a reasonable time frame):

For all parts except barrel:

1. Wipe down
    2. If any areas are still dirty, heat, reapply FL, scrub with a nylon brush, brass brush if really bad. Let it sit for 1 hr, wipe off.

For barrel after shooting:

1. Heat
    2. Run a few patches with FL through it
    3. Let sit for 1 hour.
    4. After one hour, run a dry patch through. Run another dry patch through, if still dirty reheat, put some FL on a brass brush and run it through a few times. Do not wait an hour to do step 5.
    5. Run a dry patch or two through to get loosened crud out.
    6. All done

So, after the first say five times cleaning and doing this, I assume I can cut the 1hr to 10 minutes for all components? It's the "follow-up care" where I get hung up. And is there a "reapply to whole gun process as if it were new" interval? In other words, what do I do after I shoot and then what do I do after 5 times, 10 times, etc?

Please be gentle.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Considering Frog Lube

Here's how I did my Froglubing it worked out real well.
    First I committed myself not to go to the range till all applications were applied.

First 'Seasoning": I thoroughly cleaned the firearm, then followed up with wiping everything down with rubbing alcohol. That included using Qtips for the tight spots.

I then froglubed the firearm, waited an hour then wiped of the excess and let it sit a week. The second week I reheated everything froglubed it, put it away for another week then did the same process a third time. The gun is now completely seasoned and ready to go. (With each application the froglube did re-liquify when I hit it with the heat gun Good stuff!)

After the application process I went to the range and it performed just as advertised.

Cleaning up was a breeze, just wipe it down with a micro fiber cloth, use Qtips for the tight spots done... I admit it feels totally wrong at first but you get used to it.

Heres the set up I used for pistols :

Here's a video just released on how this guy cleans up after shooting a froglubed gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhTTSjtp3xw

Last edited by K.C.; February 28th, 2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Westmoreland County)

Save the trouble and just get some Weapon Shield! Best CLP ever made.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Berks County)

Just watched the videos. What is the follow up "full application of Frog Lube" requirement? Meaning, how long until you have to do another full application of product?

Also, when you clean and lube after shooting, you aren't applying heat, are you?

Also, for the after shooting clean up and lube, would it hurt to pore some on a bore snake and run it through instead of patches and a brush?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    how long until you have to do another full application of product?
    I haven't found an answer to that that one yet. I’ve seen a video where this guy put thousand's rounds through and still didn't re-lube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_17e56yJIy4.
    I clean my guns after each use so what I'm looking for is the reemergence or lack there of of the froglubes waxy leftovers *. If I feel the need I can always liquify some of the paste and apply just like I used to with regular lube.

*Heres what it looks like:

^^^^^^^^^
    Just wanted to add that this waxy emergence occurred in 20 something degree weather, we put 60 or so rounds through it that day.

Also, when you clean and lube after shooting, you aren't applying heat, are you?
    No, Just a thorough wipe down of the entire firearm.

Also, for the after shooting clean up and lube, would it hurt to pore some on a bore snake and run it through instead of patches and a brush?
    I’d run patches first to catch all the dirty powder then follow up with the boresnake if you want.
    Last edited by K.C.; February 28th, 2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added commentary

(Berks County)

10-4. Thanks!

(Venango County)

When I frog lube my guns this is what I do and have not ha any trouble. I clean and degrease with alcohol. Then I heat and apply frog lube. Let sit an hour or two. Shoot and repeat once. After that all you have to do it wipe down and apply as needed for lubrication.

(Allegheny County)

Their "seasoning" is a crock of shit. The lube is effective as a lube though, but so are piles of other cheaper lubes.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Their "seasoning" is a crock of shit. The lube is effective as a lube though, but so are piles of other cheaper lubes.
    I disagree, Every time my guns get hot it re liquifies.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I'm going to disagree as well. I've used it on several guns recently and the benefits of it being 1)completely non-toxic, and 2)in a waxy form that re liquifies once gun is shot (and warms up) are outstanding.

I like it and its performance very much.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast