Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glock 30

aim30 Guest

Question glock 30

I'm having a mojor problem because my glock 30 has no rails. It was my first handgun bought,so i really didnt know about all the assisories that a gun could have. This might be a crazy question, does any one know of a company or gunsmith that can apply rails on a glock,or is this even possible ? Someone told me glock went through a transition period thats why there are no rails.I have no idea. the gun has finger grooves,and looks mint.I believe the first glocks had no finger grooves. Someone said mine was 2nd generation. Any suggestions will help.
    Last edited by aim30; April 5th, 2008 at 08:30 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: glock 30

All the Glock 30's are at least 2nd generation. My Glock 30 is my daily carry gun and it has no rails. If you want the rail maybe you can call Glock and order a new receiver. By the way great choice for your first gun I am absolutely in love with mine. As far a a gun smith I don't know, if it can be done just remember one thing it is a polymer receiver so it is more than likely gonna look very sloppy. So I would either see if you could order a whole new receiver and just transfer everything over to the new on. Very easy to do by the way, or just deal with it. Another question is do you really plan on hanging a tac light from the rail or a laser or a cell phone or whatever? Just think about that to.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Allegheny County)

aim30,

There are a lot of Glock owners on this site and a lot of information.

Just ask any questions you have before spending big bucks on any pistol.

later, 27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Wink Re: glock 30

i was just wanting to write and say that i am 22 and i have a glock30 and i love my gun i swear that i could make love to it if i could but anyways i would be terrified without it you know there are so many crazy poeple now days...but i understand you having one for self defense..oh the main reason i was writing is, i dont think they can actually put rails on the gun without messing up the finish but i cant be 100% sure.. write me back
    nicole stevens

(Chester County)

What sorta major problems?

(Philadelphia County)

My take on rails - only good for home defense as it is very tough to carry and conceal a pistol with a SureFire or other light attached. Thus, odds are you will be carrying without a light on your pistol at night and I find it best to have a separate Surefire handy to use in my off hand, but in a quick reaction scenario you are relying on tritium type sights (assuming you got rid of the cheap plastic Glock sites) and this is what you should be best trained and practice for.

For home defense, I rely a Mossberg Persuader (pistol grip, 6+1, 00 buck) with a SureFire attached with a Glock 35 with 14+1 .40 S&W for back-up (all my other guns are in a safe) which has a rail, but I never bothered to get a light for it - though I had tritiums on it before I walked out of the store when I bought it.

So, my suggestion is buy a SureFire and practice shooting with the light in your off hand. You can either hold the SureFire separate in your off hand and index the light reliably by placing the kuckles of your off hand holding the SureFire on your checkbone or use the Harris technique where you cross the light in your off hand under the gun arm and place the backs of your hands together. This way you can have the SureFire on you for concealed carry and use it for home defense.

(Bucks County)

You can ship it back to Glock to get the frame upgraded. I have no idea how long it takes or what it costs.

There's info on the Glock website.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by tmg19103 View Post
    My take on rails - only good for home defense as it is very tough to carry and conceal a pistol with a SureFire or other light attached. Thus, odds are you will be carrying without a light on your pistol at night and I find it best to have a separate Surefire handy to use in my off hand, but in a quick reaction scenario you are relying on tritium type sights (assuming you got rid of the cheap plastic Glock sites) and this is what you should be best trained and practice for.

For home defense, I rely a Mossberg Persuader (pistol grip, 6+1, 00 buck) with a SureFire attached with a Glock 35 with 14+1 .40 S&W for back-up (all my other guns are in a safe) which has a rail, but I never bothered to get a light for it - though I had tritiums on it before I walked out of the store when I bought it.

So, my suggestion is buy a SureFire and practice shooting with the light in your off hand. You can either hold the SureFire separate in your off hand and index the light reliably by placing the kuckles of your off hand holding the SureFire on your checkbone or use the Harris technique where you cross the light in your off hand under the gun arm and place the backs of your hands together. This way you can have the SureFire on you for concealed carry and use it for home defense.
    \

+ 1, and if night sights don't do it for you, LaserMax has an internal laser sight so you don't need rails.

(Chester County)

Like I said if you are hell bent on a rail just get a new receiver from Glock. Will probably take 4 weeks like it would if you sent it back to get night sights put on it.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Why not just trade it in for the New generations Glock, or sell it in a private
    deal. Thats what my Buddy wants to do with his Glock 30, I thought of picking his up but I'am not sure its the Gun for me. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast