Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking to buy first shotgun

Im looking to get my first shotgun, most likely used..I don't want to spend a lot, just something to have to get used to shotguns with to decide if it's something Id really be interested in.

I've heard police trade in mossberg and 870's are great values, just having trouble finding them reasonably priced around here...I saw one in at one of the shows (jan maybe) for about $200 and I should have gotten it.

Anything around that price range? Just want it to be a 12ga and a pump .

Suggestions?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Looking to buy first shotgun

870 is a great gun look at the national store ads dicks, gander mtn. ect. run sales all the time

(Dauphin County)

Personally i would spend like 350.00 and get a nice benelli nova, or get a mossberg 500. Sometimes dicks puts on sale a semi auto shotgun made by verona (sx405) for 229-250.00. I bought one a few years back and have out about 1500 rounds through it shooting trap and skeet, and works like a charm. pics below:

benelli nova

Verona SX405

(Cumberland County)

Well I would say go with the 870 hands down...I know alot of people love the Mossberg 500, however I have owned two of them and both fired on me while I was carrying them in the field....I have never heard of anyone else having this problem but it left a bad taste in my mouth...thankfully noone was injured in either situation

p.s. that was no impact with the gun, once I was walking with it balanced on my shoulder, the other time I was two handed carrying it (finger off the trigger)
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun"

Those semis look nice..Id like to be able to get an 18-20" barrel for it...I know there's lots of support on the 870/500 end for that.

I was just thinking the same thing, I may take a drive up to the gun shop when I get a car driving legally. If I see any good deals, I'll let ya know.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by PapaJazz26 View Post
    Well I would say go with the 870 hands down...I know alot of people love the Mossberg 500, however I have owned two of them and both fired on me while I was carrying them in the field....I have never heard of anyone else having this problem but it left a bad taste in my mouth...thankfully noone was injured in either situation

p.s. that was no impact with the gun, once I was walking with it balanced on my shoulder, the other time I was two handed carrying it (finger off the trigger)
    no way i can believe this one

(Cumberland County)

Sad but true friend....my fathers boss was with me both time (the one who recommended the 500) it blew his mind!!!! He said he had his for years and never had ANY problem with it......you can choose not to believe it however that blast in my ear is still VERY real to me!
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

(Cumberland County)

I feel that I should mention that this was 18 years ago......I remember exactly because I was 10 years old and that was the age I got my hunting license...

Hokkmike Guest

There is a place where I live with over 250 used pump shotguns. I think the yare the most ubiquitous of all used firearms. Look around. You are sure to find a shop with a bunch of them. Their design and function is so simple that any good brand name will work well. Try it on and see how you like the weight, fit, sighting, and smoothness of the action. I, myself, prefer and older Ithica. Good luck in your hunt. It should be an easy one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast