Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: classifieds

(Northumberland County)

Default classifieds

ive noticed latley, trere have been alot of people on here with their first and only posts in the classifieds.

some of them seemed like they were for businesses trying to get some free advritising.

i think the classifieds are great idea to buy sell, and trade between members for free, but personaly, i think businesses that post excessively on the classifieds for free is not the intent it was put there for. (well, thats what the commercial/business section was put there for, not the general ads)

also, its easy to get scammed on the internet, for someone to come in here with no other posts and try to sell something, imo, the chance that they could take the money and never be heard from againg is pretty good.

am i the only one that thinks there should be a min # of posts here for someone to post something in the ad section??

yes, i know this will not gaurentee you wont get scammed, but i have seen it on alot of other forum and it seems to help alot, and greatly cut down the risk.

just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

(Erie County)

Default Re: classifieds

not a bad idea. we'll talk about it a bit, and look into how easy it would be to implament. thanks!

(Centre County)

Doug,
    While I am not advocating the number, M4carbine.net does have this feature. Their requirement is 30 posts before you can post a classified. I do not know how they implement it. I personally think 30 is too many but If someone really wants to post on our forum I would think 10-15 would be realistic. If they were serious enough to post 15 times just to sell something then maybe they will continue to contribute. If not, you (or Emptymag) can always give them the boot (LOL).

Forgot to add, hopefully this is ok since we are talking about classifieds. Is there a way for the seller to delete the post if the item has been sold? Since one doesn't know if something is sold, the seller may get inundated with PM's if people think it is still for sale. Or can people can edit their own thread title to put in the word "SOLD"?
    Last edited by Xringshooter; April 5th, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Mifflin County)

I hate when forums have a minimum post requirement to be able to post in the classifieds, post links, or whatever else. All it does is encourage meaningless post whoring to get to that minimum number. I'd rather see a minimum time as a member if you're looking for a way to restrict the posting in that section.

Xring, for your question, I don't know if the OP can edit the thread title, but they should be able to either edit the first post to put a big SOLD on it, and/or PM a mod to have the thread locked/title edited when the item(s) sells.

(Allegheny County)

The OP can, and SHOULD post an update when an item sells.

Mystery solved.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Eh, if that's what people are coming here for that's fine with me. I'd rather get someone "hooked" on the site by posting classifieds who can later become more active both in the site and politically.

I don't really see it hurting anything.

Plus, I don't feel like getting 20 MORE emails a day asking why they can't post in classifieds.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Doug,
    While I am not advocating the number, M4carbine.net does have this feature. Their requirement is 30 posts before you can post a classified. I do not know how they implement it. I personally think 30 is too many but If someone really wants to post on our forum I would think 10-15 would be realistic. If they were serious enough to post 15 times just to sell something then maybe they will continue to contribute. If not, you (or Emptymag) can always give them the boot (LOL).
    We have a 30 post minimum rule for posting in the classifieds. We have a lot of sharp-eyed mods who spot trends right away and if some jokers tries to make a bunch of BS posts just to get into the classifieds he gets sent packing. We have discussed having a 30 post/3 month rule, but I don't know if that will be implemented.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    We have a 30 post minimum rule for posting in the classifieds. We have a lot of sharp-eyed mods who spot trends right away and if some jokers tries to make a bunch of BS posts just to get into the classifieds he gets sent packing. We have discussed having a 30 post/3 month rule, but I don't know if that will be implemented.

Like this?

(Allegheny County)

Nice GUN!!!!

(Allegheny County)

Nice GUN!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast