Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default You HAVE to call Sen. Pat Toomey so we know where he stands

I called Senator Pat Toomey's D.C. office this morning but this time did not identify myself as pro or anti gun right off the bat.

Instead I opened the conversation with the question on where the Senator stands on gun bans, gun magazine bans, and national gun registration.

His staff member was very polite and courteous and told me that Pat Toomey has not yet released any statements for or against such legislation.

I then asked if she knew how he would vote if it should come up for a vote, and she first reminded me that Toomey is very pro 2nd Amendment, but then told me how the legislation will most likely be very different from what is currently proposed. I was basically told the Senator will wait and see where he stands.

I can understand not wanting to make a statement on the unknown, but if he really is pro 2nd Amendment he can make a statement on if he supports a ban (any ban) and registration. Being undecided looks too much like trying to figure out what his voters want him to say.

I asked the staff member if Senator Toomey could please release a statement on his position, and told her that I oppose any bans on guns and magazines, and that I do not support national registration of any kind. I then made sure to tell her my zip code (which is necessary for her to register my opinion in the system.)

His staff is friendly, so when you call, please be nice too. I think if you use my formula above we will get at least a better understanding on where he stands on these issues.

Here is his office locations and phone numbers to those offices:

Washington, D.C.: (202) 224-4254
    Allentown/Lehigh Valley: (610) 434-1444 / 1-855-552-1831 (toll-free within PA)
    Erie: (814) 453-3010
    Harrisburg: (717) 782-3951
    Johnstown: (814) 266-5970
    Philadelphia: (215) 241-1090
    Pittsburgh: (412) 803-3501
    Scranton: (570) 941-3540
    Last edited by vinlander; February 26th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.

(Juniata County)

Post Re: You HAVE to call Sen. Pat Toomey so we know where he stands

It is time we make some noise on his facebook page!

http://www.facebook.com/senatortoomey?fref=ts

(Franklin County)

Default Re: You HAVE to call Sen. Pat Toomey so we know where he stands

If you send an email, personally or via the Ruger or S&W site (these are referenced in other threads), you will get his standard response (which I have deleted). My interpretation leaves me cautiously optimistic re his position- but its good to keep the communications flowing to him.

I send another pro-2A-screw-Feinstein mail every 3-4 days.

(Bucks County)

I tried Toomey's office a couple times today, but went to voice mail. Left a message the last time.

(Northampton County)

I've called him over and over, been to his office, and two of his staffers know me by name. He does not support bans. He won't take a position on any bill until he reads it. It sounds like he might be willing to review things like "improving" background checks, which of course is bad if he would. So don't leave that part out.

Honestly, in all my experiences with him and his staff, I'm not as scared as some of you guys are. But even changes to background check laws could be a disaster and eventually turn into registration.

Don't let any of these people blow you off saying that anything could happen in the future but they have to vote on the bill in front of them. The people we are dealing with here in PA are not idiots by and large. They know damn well they can count on creep and abuse of any of these laws. Heck, registration is illegal in PA and PSP created a sales database so police could use it as a registry. Any of these idiots vote for this crap and I will enthusiastically support a rabid, foaming at the mouth gun banner if that's what it takes to get rid of them. I'm not voting on the weight of my chains, I see the light, armed, fire in the hole.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I'm not voting on the weight of my chains...

That right there is sig-worthy.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.