Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Advice on a .380 pocket pistol purchase

I am looking to add a .380 pocket pistol to my stable. running a rollback, I want something small that fits in my pocket. I was pretty sure I wanted the ruger LCP, but now I was just reading about the diamondback db380. Any recomendations?
    Thanks, Steve

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Advice on a .380 pocket pistol purchase

This doesn't answer your question - but I've gone down the pocket .380 path. Quickly converted to a Kahr PM9 and was much happier. I think it's <1/2" longer in size... Just food for thought as you may find something you are happier with if you look at pocket 9s as well.

(Franklin County)

I may not be very helpful, but at the risk of departing from your "wants"; I will not recommend a .380. This mouse gun does not meet the FBI minimum for penetration and I do not feel comfortable recommending it for this reason. It just is not something I would trust my life to, and therefore would not want you to either. It is not a round I even consider for my BUG.

With the extensive options in pocket 9mm available, I would step up to a true defense-capable round. From the expensive Sig P938, down to the afordable KelTec PF9 or Kahr CM9, this is what I would recommend.

No offense intended toward your inquiry and I don't care to get into any pissing matches on this forum if there are .380 lovers who disagree. Just something to think about.

Edit: I agree with ah0873.
    Too many guns?

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I think the Kahr P380 is the best one out there. It's very accurate & reliable. It's also more pleasant to shoot than others; I've put 100 rounds through it at a time with no problems, while my hand hurt after only 6 rounds with a S&W Bodyguard.

The only problem is it's stupid-expensive (~$600) and needs at least 200 rounds to break it in. Kahr just came out with a model below $400, the CW380, but it will probably be impossible to find one this year. They haven't hit the stores yet.

(Bucks County)

I'm not exactly a big guy, 5'6" 140, & I carry an LCP with a lasermax & a hogue hybrid grip in the front pocket of my jeans all summer long or any other time OTW carry of my P11 won't work. In a Desantis pocket holster it's like carrying a light wallet, I usually forget it's there. Draws easily & with front pocket carry you can have you hand on it & be ready to draw without looking provocative. People claim that they are not "range guns" but the addition of the hogue hybrid grip makes it comfortable enough to shoot until you start to get mad at the price of .380. BTW The new models have MUCH better sights than the older ones.
    Also the "pocket nines" seem very close in size until you try to put them in a pocket, I know many guys can & do but they are all too big for me.

Hope this helps.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ah0873 View Post
    This doesn't answer your question - but I've gone down the pocket .380 path. Quickly converted to a Kahr PM9 and was much happier. I think it's <1/2" longer in size... Just food for thought as you may find something you are happier with if you look at pocket 9s as well.
    I hear you, I usually keep a .45 in the center console of my truck. I need something for in my pocket when I'm out of the truck unloading or talking to someone. I don't want something strapped to my side, because I lay down on the pavement, mud, stones etc to hook up. A nine WOULD be better but realisticly the .380 pocket pistol will work much better for me. Also on the rare occasion when I do a repossession, a completly concealed pocket pistol is much better.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirad View Post
    I may not be very helpful, but at the risk of departing from your "wants"; I will not recommend a .380. This mouse gun does not meet the FBI minimum for penetration and I do not feel comfortable recommending it for this reason. It just is not something I would trust my life to, and therefore would not want you to either. It is not a round I even consider for my BUG.

With the extensive options in pocket 9mm available, I would step up to a true defense-capable round. From the expensive Sig P938, down to the afordable KelTec PF9 or Kahr CM9, this is what I would recommend.

No offense intended toward your inquiry and I don't care to get into any pissing matches on this forum if there are .380 lovers who disagree. Just something to think about.

Edit: I agree with ah0873.
    Let's assume the OP asked for a pocket pistol specifically. There are zero 9mm guns that are true pocket pistols in the manner of an LCP or a diamondback.

I've carried a kel-tec p-32 for longer than the P380/LCP have been around. It's got FMJ in it. Is it ideal? No. Do I prefer to carry it as my BUG. Yep. When I'm in a tux and it's that or a 9mm or .45 in the safe at home do I live with the .32? Yep.

But at the end of the day, if it comes down to carry a .380 in one's pocket or a 9mm at home--which may be the case as the OP is asking about a pocket pistol, I'd take the .380.

I say this having run a couple of grand thru a process to try to pocket carry a 9mm without success. I'm 6'0" and 205. Can't do it. Your mileage and the OP's mileage may vary.

And the "Trust your life" stuff is overblown. It's overblown in the same manner as saying "if you feel so strongly about anything less than 9mm, I invite you to come over here and catch a round or two of .32 ACP."

To the OP: Ruger LCP.

(Lackawanna County)

Pocket .380 hmmm sig p238 or colt mustang. I have not shot any others that were actually accurate and felt like a real gun in your handle. Also being from top notch manufacturers you usually get a quality firearm. I ankle carry an original mustang when I need a backup or deep concealment.

(Montgomery County)

I'm skinny and tall and my 709 slim fits it most of my pockets without printing, slightly larger then a deck of cards, and ammo is more reseaonable, but I had a bersa 380 that I loved

(Luzerne County)

380----Been there----done that. Switched to a Khar PM9. It was a good verry reliable pistol, but still "just" a little too big. One day while in a gunshop I saw this small, all metal pistol. It looked like a 380,but I asked about it. It was a Rohrbaugh R9. As small or smaller than most, if not all 380's. It was exxxxxxxpensive, about $1200. Good or bad, I had to have it. It sits now in my pocket. It goes everwhere with me. Sometimes I forgett it's even there. Thats how easy it is to carry. When I do shoot it, the little thing has a real snap to it when it goes off. I guess thats the price to pay for such a small pistol in 9mm...
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast