Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Lancaster County Sheriff Issues Non-Resident and very Military Friendly

Just wanted to pass on my experience with obtaining a LTCF from the Lancaster County Sheriff.

First I am AD military stationed in Virginia but am from Pa and spend some time there. So when we PCS'd from Texas to Virginia I wanted to get my PA non res LTCF. He wife and I applied for/obtained Virginia Conceal Carry Permit (which ironically enough also allows you to carry a handgun or rifle with a mag bigger then 20 rounds, lol). We went to the Lancaster County courthouse with our Virginia resident permit, our military ID's (mine and her dependent) and even though the request out of the norm the Chief Deputy and the Sheriff were both very accomodatng and accepted the documents, even the Texas driver license's considering we recently PCS'd. They could have clearly adopted the NO response but didn't.

Furthermore, Since December they stopped producing them while you wait given the dramatic increase in the number of applications BUT because I was military they processed while we waited instead of mailing us a card and having us come back in 2 to 3 weeks. GIven the crowded lines and their willingness to help us out I wanted to throw out a very big thank you and kudo's to them. I was so compelled, I gave them probably my most hardest earned military challenge coin out of appreciation.
    Bryan, Currently stationed at Langley AFB, Va

Default Re: Lancaster County Sheriff Issues Non-Resident and very Military Friendly

Yep, Lancaster does a nice job. When I got mine way before the current madness it took 20 minutes and I had my card.

Default Re: Lancaster County Sheriff Issues Non-Resident and very Military Friendly

That's great. It's good to see some counties are supporting us to such a high level.

Are you a Texas resident? If so, your TX drivers license should never be an issue. Although you have PCS'd you can retain state residency in Texas for your entire military career which means you'll have a TX DL regardless of duty location.

(York County)

Not that you'll ever need to use this little tidbit of information, but I guess it's good to know... in PA you can carry a long rifle or long shotgun, loaded, open or concealed, and you do not need a license/permit to do it. However, you are limited strictly to travel by foot. Your long guns must be unloaded for carry/transport by vehicle.

And congrats on your licenses. There are some differences between VA and PA but generally speaking both are carry-friendly.

If you're interested in chatting or hooking up with other like-minded folks locally you might want to look into the forums at OpenCarry.org, and also The Virginia Citizens Defense League at VCDL.org.

Carry on! May you never need it.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Chester County)

For me, yes I had both my Texas DL/CHL but my wife did not.. She has a Tx DL and a VA resident permit. Since the resident permit is needed for a PA non-res, even though they used the TX DL's for data input purposes, they accepted military ID, orders and Va CHP. Given it was a patchwork of documents, they could have easily adopted the position of "no" because it was outside the norm, I'm sure. However, the Chief Deputy and Sheriff were awesome and went above and beyond!

I'm from Coatesville and visit frequently to visit family so I am keen to PA law and only got the LTCF because I wanted it and it was cheap... Lol!! Next time we are up there, I would love to get together but that would have to wait until I return from Afghanistan...
    Bryan, Currently stationed at Langley AFB, Va