Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default assault rifle vs patrol rifle

Why is it that when the police have to use thier EBR to shoot and kill someone they are reported as using their "patrol rifle" instead of saying they had to use their assualt rifle to put down someone? Like they say whenever a civilian has to use one to defend oneself.
    I guess turn about isn't fair play?
    I'm talking about an incident in Conewago Twp where a 72 year old male called suicide prevention to seek help, as he was contemplating hurting himself with his gun. Of course they sent the death squad for a welfare check and said male supposidly tried suicide by cop. Link is on whtm web site, I would post but don't know how on my phone.
    Last edited by cybersurf; February 21st, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8 ... III% OK

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: assault rifle vs patrol rifle

maye you should ask the DHS ..........they use something entirely different ''personal defense weapon''

(Lehigh County)

When the military owns them and they have 20" barrels, fire in either full auto or burst fire mode they are called M-16A1

When the military owns them and they have a 14.5 barrel, fire in either full auto or burst fire, they call them M4-A1

When the Dept of Homeland Security owns them and they have a 14.5" barrel and they fire in either full auto or burst fire mode they are called Personal Defense Weapons

When the police own them and they have a 14.5" barrel and fire in either full auto or burst mode, they call them Patrol Rifles

When you or I own rifles that look like the ones the miltary, police or Dept of Homeland Security own, but are mechanically different, inferior even and they have 16" barrels (14.5" for those of us who get cleared by the ATF and pay a $200 tax stamp, and fire one round per trigger pull, they are called Assault "indiscriminate baby killing destroyer of the fabric of society that no one has a need to own" Rifles.

Duh. <-- sarcasm font

Rick

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bravo30 View Post
    maye you should ask the DHS ..........they use something entirely different ''personal defense weapon''
    PDW is a recognised category of military firearm, in which class the AR15 does not fall. PDW must be significantly smaller than an M4, generally fire a subgun cartridge, and are designed for drivers and helicopter operators that are not front line troops. an MP5 is an example of a PDW.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by spaideas View Post
    When the military owns them and they have 20" barrels, fire in either full auto or burst fire mode they are called M-16A1

When the military owns them and they have a 14.5 barrel, fire in either full auto or burst fire, they call them M4-A1

When the Dept of Homeland Security owns them and they have a 14.5" barrel and they fire in either full auto or burst fire mode they are called Personal Defense Weapons

When the police own them and they have a 14.5" barrel and fire in either full auto or burst mode, they call them Patrol Rifles

When you or I own rifles that look like the ones the miltary, police or Dept of Homeland Security own, but are mechanically different, inferior even and they have 16" barrels (14.5" for those of us who get cleared by the ATF and pay a $200 tax stamp, and fire one round per trigger pull, they are called Assault "indiscriminate baby killing destroyer of the fabric of society that no one has a need to own" Rifles.

Duh. <-- sarcasm font

Rick
    Agree 1000% with this answer. Scary, scary EBR's for us lowley citizens
    Last edited by cybersurf; February 22nd, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8 ... III% OK

(Allegheny County)

A true "Assault Rifle" is considered to be a select fire weapon. The phrase "Patrol Rifle" is used to make the idea less scary. A semi automatic rifle is a semi automatic rifle. Assault is a behavior not a piece of inanimate hardware. Regulate criminals, not rights.

(Lancaster County)

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Thats why i carry my AR-15 pistol in the car with me, its not an assualt rifle its a pistol

(Lancaster County)

A couple of weeks ago on a sunday morning some guy in East Hempfield township out here fired on his ex-wife's boyfriend's car during a child custody exchange. He went back into his house and a brief standoff ensued.

During the radio chatter with the police setting up a perimeter, one officer asked if anyone had anything other than a shotgun with them. A female officer replied "I have my patrol rifle." That was the first time I heard that term used over the air and it caught my attention.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lackawanna County)

please tell me that ws followed up by does anyone else have anything other than a shotgun with them?

I dont get it. If I was an officer Im not leaving hte station without everything I may need. AR, shotgun extra ammo mags etc. Id rather have 125 lbs of stuff and not need it than to need it and be stuck with a service sidearm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast