Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Knowledgeable person on Colt 1911's needed!

I'm looking for someone to give me an estimate on the value of a pistol I'm about to get in a trade.

The gun is a Colt Combat Government MK IV 80 series 5" blue. I ran the serial number through Colt and the gun was made in 1984. It comes with (2) magazines and does not come with the original box/paperwork. It does not have the original grips, it comes with a pair of wood grip panels. Condition of the 1911 is very good.

I've searched the internet pretty good but everything I find is several years old infomation. I understand the differences between the 70 and 80 series but I'm really quite lost on trying to find the value. Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Knowledgeable person on Colt 1911's needed!

I'm no Colt expert, but I thought the "Combat Government" came along well after 1984. I thought that one of the first variations of the full sized colt (other than the Gold Cup) was the "Combat Elite", which was a series 80 and came along in the late 80's. The also were equipped with wrap-around rubber grips with silver rampant colt medallions. I defer to any true Colt experts, but that is just what I remember - but the old memory isn't what it used to be.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    I'm no Colt expert, but I thought the "Combat Government" came along well after 1984. I thought that one of the first variations of the full sized colt (other than the Gold Cup) was the "Combat Elite", which was a series 80 and came along in the late 80's. The also were equipped with wrap-around rubber grips with silver rampant colt medallions. I defer to any true Colt experts, but that is just what I remember - but the old memory isn't what it used to be.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Well I know for sure its a Combat Government because it says so on the slide and when I looked up the serial # through colt it said it was a 1984 Combat Government.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by AYOUNG View Post
    I'm looking for someone to give me an estimate on the value of a pistol I'm about to get in a trade.

The gun is a Colt Combat Government MK IV 80 series 5" blue. I ran the serial number through Colt and the gun was made in 1984. It comes with (2) magazines and does not come with the original box/paperwork. It does not have the original grips, it comes with a pair of wood grip panels. Condition of the 1911 is very good.

I've searched the internet pretty good but everything I find is several years old infomation. I understand the differences between the 70 and 80 series but I'm really quite lost on trying to find the value. Any help is appreciated.
    My Blue Book is the 32nd edition. Colt Combat Government series 80 made from 1983 - 1998; 100% = $950, 98% = $800, and 95% = $650. Hope this helps.

(Bucks County)

Thanks man I appreciate it!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    My Blue Book is the 32nd edition. Colt Combat Government series 80 made from 1983 - 1998; 100% = $950, 98% = $800, and 95% = $650. Hope this helps.
    Good info, a note on condition - it's never gonna be 100%, 98% is basically perfect in the box with everything original. $650 is a good estimate of retail value for what you describe assuming there is no cosmetic damage, and it is mechanically sound.

(Bucks County)

I hope that it being a Colt and all that price will only increase or stay the same.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    I defer to any true Colt experts, but that is just what I remember - but the old memory isn't what it used to be.

Pizza Bob
    Yeah, I know what you mean. The second thing to go is short term memory. I can't remember what the first thing is though...."
    - bamboomaster

(Schuylkill County)

Try matching it up with them on Gun Broker.com. Another great place for info on colts is the coltforum.com. There are alot of colt collectors over there.