Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default LTC Residency Requirement _ Help

We moved from CA. and I have lived in Bethlehem Twp over 2 months and have my PA Drivers lic. and PA. voter card.

I went to the Northampton County Ct. house paid the $20 fee went to the basement Sheriffs Dept. to submit my LTC paperwork and was told I had to have resided in PA. for 90 days. I was told this was a PA state police requirement.

I cannot find any such law or requirement for LTC in PA.

Can someone help confirm or clarify this for me, Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: LTC Residency Requirement _ Help

There is no law or regulation requiring a time frame of residency. Go back down and demand that they accept the application or to prove in text the statute or regulatory code stating such a requirement.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is no law or regulation requiring a time frame of residency. Go back down and demand that they accept the application or to prove in text the statute or regulatory code stating such a requirement.
    +1 to everything he said

Counties are not permitted by law to make up their own requirements, the reason they get away with it is because people do not challenge them. When you go back, inform them that they must accept your application as is. If they accept and deny you, they must provide you a reason in writing, at which point you can appeal. If they do not accept, report back here as there is a process you can go through. I cannot elaborate because I am not 100% familiar with the process, but there are plenty of people here on this forum who are and can tell you everything you will need to know.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Monroe County)

They are outright lying to you. Call them on it and demand that they comply with state law. If they still refuse, I have found that throwing around the words "official oppression" tend to soften them up a bit.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Philadelphia County)

Fiigghhtttt 'emmmmmm.

I had a gun store tell me once I had to be a PA resident for a year to buy a handgun. I just went elsewhere and it was fine. You don't really have that option with your LTCF app, so go back and fight their information. Ask where in the PA law it says that.

I don't agree with the "let them reject you and appeal" mentality that some people subscribe to, to each his own though. If they won't accept your application I'd save the hassle and hold off on submitting it. Then, I'd write letters and or make phone calls all the way up their chain of command demanding their incorrect/illegal process be corrected. You have just a good a chance to cause positive change (or better) and will have your LTCF sooner than getting rejected and appealing based on their incorrect application of the law.

Just my 2c.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpkotor View Post
    Fiigghhtttt 'emmmmmm.

I had a gun store tell me once I had to be a PA resident for a year to buy a handgun. I just went elsewhere and it was fine. You don't really have that option with your LTCF app, so go back and fight their information. Ask where in the PA law it says that.

I don't agree with the "let them reject you and appeal" mentality that some people subscribe to, to each his own though. If they won't accept your application I'd save the hassle and hold off on submitting it. Then, I'd write letters and or make phone calls all the way up their chain of command demanding their incorrect/illegal process be corrected. You have just a good a chance to cause positive change (or better) and will have your LTCF sooner than getting rejected and appealing based on their incorrect application of the law.

Just my 2c.
    Great point, let's maintain our rights while pushing to get the ones we lost
    And let's make sure Potus and congress understands the words "shall not be infringed"

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyNRA1 View Post
    We moved from CA. and I have lived in Bethlehem Twp over 2 months and have my PA Drivers lic. and PA. voter card.

I went to the Northampton County Ct. house paid the $20 fee went to the basement Sheriffs Dept. to submit my LTC paperwork and was told I had to have resided in PA. for 90 days. I was told this was a PA state police requirement.

I cannot find any such law or requirement for LTC in PA.

Can someone help confirm or clarify this for me, Thanks
    Just to clarify, did you get your $20 back in the mean time?

If not, don't even think about paying it again. State law says that the fee is to be paid at the time of application. They shouldn't have taken your money without processing your application.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Northampton County)

I feel for you buddy. Northampton is my county as well. I went up to apply for my LTCF in the end of January - still have not heard back or received anything.

I can say that I was told the same thing by the girl accepting applications. My drivers license has my old address on it, even though I've lived in my new house for close to 3 years. When I gave her my driver's license and she noticed the addresses didn't match, I realized I forgot to give her my change of address card. No problem, they accepted it becasue the correct address was also on my voter registration card.

Long story short, we were talking and I asked about residency requirements (I have a friend who just moved over from PRNJ who wants to get his LTCF). One of the officers behind her also stated there is a 30 day residency requirement.

Thanks to you who have cleared this up. I, like the OP, had not seen this anywhere, but they were convincing so I just chalked it up as they were right (plus it didn't really pertain to me, so eh).

I can tell you that when I applied, the girl said I was number 907 and she was currently only in the 300s with conducting her reviews. Guess I keep waiting. Good luck to you and get your $20 back!!!

(Northampton County)

Thanks to everyone!!!!
    I did called and talked to a sheriff
    and again He explained that the 90 day residency was a State Police Requirement. I asked for the statue or reg. and he said that he didn't
    know it off hand, my next call will be PA. State police to see what excuse
    they have.

(Philadelphia County)

Again, I wouldn't insist on submitting your application to get denied incorrectly, but if I had the time I would walk in with this printed and ask the person in charge to point out where it says you must be a resident for XX days.

I'd also highlight (e)(3) which is about the application being uniform across PA and mention how other counties do not have this requirement.

Last, I'd remind them that even non-residents can apply for a permit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast