Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default The secret life of gun-haters

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: The secret life of gun-haters

This is a pretty fascinating take on rationalizing the irrational. And here I thought the article was going to be about man-hating professors with forty cats or some such "secret." Thanks for posting.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I think there' a lot to the concept of projection - they're so afraid of guns because they're afraid that they personally might do something terrible if they had a gun in their hand. There' a good paper about this on the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership web site too.

I think that's a big part of the reason why they think the idea of teachers with guns is so preposterous - that the teacher could just snap and mow down a bunch of kids. But teachers have that opportunity every day, with scissors, knives, baseball bats... you don't see teachers pushing kids down stairs or killing them with hammers. It's ridiculous.

Take away fear mongering and demagoguery, and the liberals have nothing.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post

So true. The entire liberal agenda is based on jealousy, entitlement and fear.

(Centre County)

Too bad the author brought in all the "God stuff." We coulda used the article as ammo against the antis (the mort rabid of whom are generally non-religious).

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I think there' a lot to the concept of projection - they're so afraid of guns because they're afraid that they personally might do something terrible if they had a gun in their hand. There' a good paper about this on the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership web site too.

I think that's a big part of the reason why they think the idea of teachers with guns is so preposterous - that the teacher could just snap and mow down a bunch of kids. But teachers have that opportunity every day, with scissors, knives, baseball bats... you don't see teachers pushing kids down stairs or killing them with hammers. It's ridiculous.

I never saw a teacher push a kid down a flight of stairs. However, I was thrown down a flight of stairs by a male teacher. End result: I got my ass beat by my father for what I said to the teacher and the teacher and principle got even more authority to use corporal punishment if needed to keep me inline.

CL

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    Too bad the author brought in all the "God stuff." We coulda used the article as ammo against the antis (the mort rabid of whom are generally non-religious).
    Nah, it'd still be from Whirled Nuts Daily.

There's plenty of armchair psychoanalysis out there already, on both sides. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me that people own guns because they are insecure about their penis or some nonsense. But there's really no point talking to people who are arrogant enough to have you all figured out before you've even met. And that works both ways.