Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (McKean County)

Default help with new build.

So I just built myself an ar15 from the ground up and about a month ago I went and shot it and it worked completely fine. cycled well no hiccups. since then I bought a jp silent captured spring and a wmd nickel boron bcg and today when I went out I kept running into short stroking. I tried 3 different kinds of ammo from Tula brass cased BrassMAXX it's called to PMC bronze and even some American eagle. not sure if they were xm193 or 855 they were a buddys and he threw some in to see if ammo was my issue. I will list the rest of my build below see if I can get someone to maybe see something I clearly cannot. But I don't understand why it would work fine and then suddenly today not. Only final thought floating around my head would be the cold. Oh. And I know it's not because of the jp captured spring because we took my upper and tried it on not 1. But 2 different lowers. One dpms a2 stock regular buffer. Second Double Star commercial buffer tube regular buffer. I am lost and have run out of idea's I thought maybe I didn't have my gas tube lined up right and that the first trip was a fluke so I tore that all apart and sure enough it's just how I assembled it and is lined up and how it should be. But before I bore you which i'm sure I already did let me give you the details of my build.

ATI Lower Receiver
    Spikes Tactical Battle Trigger
    ATI buffer tube
    Magpul ACS stock "irrelevant to problem"
    Magpul MIAD grip
    JP Silent Captured Spring

Spikes Tactical M4 Upper Receiver
    DEZArms 20" Twister Series II barrel
    YHM Front flip up sight/gas block
    YHM Rifle Gas Tube
    YHM Free float handguard
    WMD NiBX BCG
    LMT Charging Handle
    Troy Ind. Claymore Muzzlebreak
    L3Eotech EXPS2
    Troy Ind. Rear Battle Sight

I done research all over the internet and have found problems like mine but all those threads are a bust on what my problem is. They all either had poorly staked gas key's or some other problem like cheap ammo. Which is exactly what I thought my problem was until I tried PMC Bronze and American Eagle. I even tried some hot loads I reloaded which consist of American Eagle Nato Brass, 23 grains of Alliant AR-Comp Powder, CCI No. 450 Small rifle primers, 62 Grain American Eagle steel core penetrator bullets. "Bought from gunbroker 1000 for $150" and with that load still had the same problem. I can't figure it out for the life of me and there were three of us butting heads trying to figure it out. We couldn't. So i'm putting my faith in you PAFOA. Please help. I might just order a new barrel go 16" Carbine like I originally planned but because of lack of inventory everywhere I had to go 20" :-( and before you's say it's my gas key or it's a misaligned gas tube remember I already checked that stuff and know those aren't my issue. Or the jp captured spring or the spikes pistol buffer*(which I thought was a good possibility) remember I tried 3 different lowers and every single time. same problem. HELP!!!!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: help with new build.

what lube were you using? front sight clamp on? all bolts tight in it?
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

(Erie County)

Seems rather expensive for the JP spring, considering the cost of a Vltor A5 system.

Did you try the other BCG with JP spring. If this doesn't work, the spring might need to be replaced with a weaker spring.
    Last edited by Gun; February 18th, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lehigh County)

Go back and remove the last thing you did. test. if it works you narrowed it down. if not remove the next and so on. Do you reload? Try a little hotter round to see if it cycles. Are you positive nothing is slightly bent? Hanging up on anything? without seeing it, it would be tough to get to the problem.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    Go back and remove the last thing you did. test. if it works you narrowed it down. if not remove the next and so on. Do you reload? Try a little hotter round to see if it cycles. Are you positive nothing is slightly bent? Hanging up on anything? without seeing it, it would be tough to get to the problem.
    +1 - I'd return to the working configuration, then make one change at a time and test - you'll find your issue.