Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: REMINGTON?

Default REMINGTON?

What the hell is going on with Remington's QC since they have moved? I can't believe the number of threads out there that describe 870 problems. It's the 870 for crying out loud. In my mind, it USED to be the go to shot gun. What happened?
    Jules

(York County)

Default Re: REMINGTON?

I don't know but I hope they turn it around....I would hate to see something as iconic as the 870 get a bad rap.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Pike County)

I bought an 870 with Magpul furniture 2 or 3 weeks ago. There was a 590A1 SPX in the shop at the same time. I played with both guns before settling on the 870. The Mossberg had better sights, dual extractors, and a 9 round capacity at a slightly lower price. The 870 had a far smoother action out of the box, XS ghost rings, threaded barrel for different chokes (it came with a modified cylinder breeching choke) and that fabulous Magpul stock and foreend.

My biggest gripe with the Remington after having had it for several weeks and several trips to the range is that the ejection of hulls is weak. I started a specific thread about that issue here. Another complaint is the user-friendliness of replacing certain key pieces like the ejector spring. It's riveted into the receiver whereas the Mossberg uses a simple screw. Also, 7 versus 9 rounds? Not a huge difference although Remington dimples their mag tubes so installing an extension requires a bit of work.

I've never owned an 870 before this one. I like it, don't get me wrong, but the cost-cutting definitely shows. I probably should have gotten the 590A1 instead.
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(York County)

I own two 870's. One is a 1960's Express in 410ga and the other was a new Express in 12ga. It took a good year worth of range trips for the ejection to improve and smooth out. Since then, I haven't had any issues with it. Wondering if these newer 870's are suffering similar break in issues
    Certified Glock Armorer

I have an Express from the early 90s. Never had a single issue with it. I also have an Express from around 2006. Never had a single issue. As an FYI, the 870 P versions do not have dimpled tubes.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    What the hell is going on with Remington's QC since they have moved? I can't believe the number of threads out there that describe 870 problems. It's the 870 for crying out loud. In my mind, it USED to be the go to shot gun. What happened?
    Jules
    Same reason I went Mossberg 590 and never looked back..

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I use an 870 at work, so I stick with that system. I have 4 of them, the newest is an early 90s Express deer gun with the 20" rifle sighted smoothbore barrel. My field gun is a mid 70s 12 gauge Wingmaster, and the other two are 870Ps. I've never had any sort of trouble with any of them. Dan's Ammo has 870P trade-ins, and if you'd like a new 870 built to your specs, contact J.D. McGuire at AIP Tactical in Michigan. He builds excellent Remington 870s, and he stands behind them. I take one of his Police 2 shotguns with me on patrol.

(Carbon County)

i bought a new one a few months ago, had to send it to the factory to get fixed the 1st time out. runs fine now, but needless to say, they wont get another dime of my money

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    i bought a new one a few months ago, had to send it to the factory to get fixed the 1st time out. runs fine now, but needless to say, they wont get another dime of my money
    What sort of problems were you experiencing?
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.