Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default New reloaded advice.

OK, so due to the current state of the ammunition in the country I'm going to start reloading. I'm going to be loading 556 and 45acp primarily. I'm wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a good book to learn the art of reloading? Also what equipment would people recommend?
    Last edited by BigDaddy00; February 16th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: New reloaded advice.

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lehigh County)

Hello, welcome to the forum. May i direct your attention to the search bar on top of the page. this question has been answered approx. 100+ times in the last year alone. If fact, 5 post down from you is a whole scenario describing exactly what you want to know. don't be shy, ask intelligent questions, but please do not ask general questions that have been asked a thousand times without putting a little work into it. thank you, I hope you enjoy your stay here.

(Monroe County)

I hate to say it, but this is not the time to 'get into' reloading. Everything is in such short supply I'm afraid you'll find more frustration then components.

Good Luck and Don't Give Up!
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    I hate to say it, but this is not the time to 'get into' reloading. Everything is in such short supply I'm afraid you'll find more frustration then components.

Good Luck and Don't Give Up!

I disagree somewhat.

I bought my press 3 or 4 weeks ago (there is a thread about it somewhere). The store that sold it to me found me powder, ball and primers to go with it. I am set for a while.

Cast bullets do not seem to be in that short of supply. Primers can be found, though they are scarce. I have found another couple boxes of 1,000 since I bought the first one.

A month ago I always kept my eye open for boxes of ammo. Now I keep an eye open for components. I doubt I will run out though for a while.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    The store that sold it to me found me powder, ball and primers to go with it.
    You're pretty fortunate then. I've been looking for a local source of small pistol primers without luck. To the OP - if you find a supply of primers for the cartridge types you plan to reload, I heartily recommend purchasing as many as you think you'll need for the next year at least.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I disagree somewhat.

I bought my press 3 or 4 weeks ago (there is a thread about it somewhere). The store that sold it to me found me powder, ball and primers to go with it. I am set for a while.

Cast bullets do not seem to be in that short of supply. Primers can be found, though they are scarce. I have found another couple boxes of 1,000 since I bought the first one.

A month ago I always kept my eye open for boxes of ammo. Now I keep an eye open for components. I doubt I will run out though for a while.
    I'm glad you got hooked up with s dealer who went the extra mile for you. Don't get me wrong, but he did your shopping for you and didn't just take your money and left you hanging. Hope you go back to him.

Yes, some lead is out there (Hunter's Supply) for one which is fine for .45 ACP but I don't think will work well for 5.56. A lot of plated bullets are still hard to find with quanities limited to a few hundred at a time. Berry's is saying "4 to 6 MONTHS" for shipping. Midway IS getting some things in but pick'ns are still slim.

The OP wants to load 2 of the most popular calibers for reloading and I really hope he sticks with it. With the Feds buying up a boatload of ammo right now, things are going to be tight for a bit. When you come across something you "might" need, don't think, just buy it.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(York County)

I don't want to be accused of highjacking someone else's thread. Is it OK on this forum to ask additional questions on a thread someone else started? I'm still kind of new to this forum.

(Lehigh County)

Just read it and the sticky above, they might just answer your questions. if you do have a specific question, I or others would be glad to help you out. I didn't notice where you are, but if you are ever near the lehigh valley you would be welcome to stop by and i would be willing to get you started. General questions, such as, what do i need, have been covered here over and over and over again.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    You're pretty fortunate then. I've been looking for a local source of small pistol primers without luck. To the OP - if you find a supply of primers for the cartridge types you plan to reload, I heartily recommend purchasing as many as you think you'll need for the next year at least.

It was King's Shooter Supply in King of Prussia.
    A helluva good store with the most helpful staff you ever want to deal with.
    I had some trouble with the press (bought it used). They told me to bring it to the shop, recognized the problem right away, replaced the part and I am cranking out rounds again.

I am very fortunate to have them nearby. They have a good supply of primers and supplies right now too. If you are in the area, call and see if they have what you are looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast