Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Need some shotgun info

I have a Remington 870 express with the 28" barrel. It's my only 12g. I'm primarily a handguns guy so my shotgun knowledge is lacking. The 870 won't eject about 30-40% of the time. It won't pump without a lot of effort and finicking. I've read that the shitty Winchester ammo does this to Mossbergs semis, so I wonder if that's the issue. I haven't had time to get out and try some other loads. Anyone have any input on this issue?

Also - I may buy another 12g for HD. $4-500 range. I really like the pistol grip feel. I've looked at the Mossberg JIC and similar. Also looked at the 870 tactical and Mossberg 590. Any suggestions for me? I'd like it no longer than 20", with the full tube and preferably a collapsible stock or just the pistol grip.

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need some shotgun info

I like this...

not this...

The stock allows you to actually shoulder it for accurate shooting.
    It also allows for good control if you need to shoot "from the hip".
    Best of both worlds.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoli06 View Post
    I have a Remington 870 express with the 28" barrel. It's my only 12g. I'm primarily a handguns guy so my shotgun knowledge is lacking. The 870 won't eject about 30-40% of the time. It won't pump without a lot of effort and finicking. I've read that the shitty Winchester ammo does this to Mossbergs semis, so I wonder if that's the issue. I haven't had time to get out and try some other loads. Anyone have any input on this issue?

Also - I may buy another 12g for HD. $4-500 range. I really like the pistol grip feel. I've looked at the Mossberg JIC and similar. Also looked at the 870 tactical and Mossberg 590. Any suggestions for me? I'd like it no longer than 20", with the full tube and preferably a collapsible stock or just the pistol grip.

Thanks!
    The 870 is the absolute best working shotgun ever made. The problem is they decided to make it cheaply as of late and well, when quality control goes down, so does the quality of the product. The Express model is lowest quality 870 Remington makes. There are many upgraded parts available that would make the gun you own awesome. That is another great aspect of the 870. There are millions of aftermarket, high quality parts.

Pistol grip. Looks great in Hollywood movies but just take a second and think about it. If you use a pistol grip, the entire recoil of the shotgun is going to the pistol grip. The short barrel you seek, will flip up horrendously. I do not advocate pistol grip only stocks on shotguns. However, regular stocks with a pistol grip as shown my Emptymag are an improvement, however, I feel the pistol grip gets in the way in swinging and bringing the shotgun to bare on target. Just another deal to get caught on clothing, hung up on a vest, or whatever.

good luck,

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; February 15th, 2013 at 02:29 AM.

(Lawrence County)

I pistol grip on a full stock is ok and can help soak up some recoil. I don't typically use them, because they slow my speed down transitioning from target to target.

The 870 Express OFTEN have issues with tight chambers. Some smoothing with 800-1000 grit paper in the first few inches of the chamber will take care of the sticking you're talking about. You could also have it backbored by a smith and take out a very small bit of recoil as another option.

Lycanniceshottythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Armstrong County)

Remove the barrel and look to see if there are any rub marks on the bottom.
    If there are its likely from the fore-grip.

I have a 870 EX youth as a 'headboard' weapon that did this after I replaced the furniture.
    Took the barrel off and seeing the marks it was easy fix.

The symptom was the action started to open easily but got tighter as the bolt got past 50%.

Its a 'cheap' 870 but works well for my wife.

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

[QUOTE=Nicoli06;2296863]I have a Remington 870 express with the 28" barrel. It's my only 12g. I'm primarily a handguns guy so my shotgun knowledge is lacking. The 870 won't eject about 30-40% of the time. It won't pump without a lot of effort and finicking. I've read that the shitty Winchester ammo does this to Mossbergs semis, so I wonder if that's the issue. I haven't had time to get out and try some other loads. Anyone have any input on this issue?

Thanks![/QUOTE/]

Send your 870 to J.D. McGuire at AIP Tactical. He does great work on 870s. Good guy too.

(Lehigh County)

Pistol grip. Looks great in Hollywood movies but just take a second and think about it. If you use a pistol grip, the entire recoil of the shotgun is going to the pistol grip. The short barrel you seek, will flip up horrendously. I do not advocate pistol grip only stocks on shotguns.

CL[/QUOTE]+1 for a 12g, you can get away with that on a 20g. I'm lucky to have all my teeth after trying one, split my lip pretty good though...

(Pike County)

I took a 12 guage chamber brush, wrapped some 00 steel wool around it and attached the brush to a rod and stuck the rod into a power drill. After about 5-10 minutes of spinning this contraption inside the chamber (with some oil), the end result was a 12 guage chamber smoother than a baby's butt. Give that a try as it seems final polish of the chamber is something Remington's been neglecting to do with the Express.

Also make sure that your extractor spring and extractor plunger aren't binding. They should move freely and have good tension. If you move the extractor back with your finger, it should leave a dent in your
    finger.

I also agree about pistol grip stocks on shotguns. They look great and all but are murder on the wrists. Stick with a regular stock or get something like the Magpul MOE stock for 870 which has excellent ergonomics.
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks everyone. I still haven't bought one yet. Looked at a CZ 612 today.