Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default How to avoid the fight?

I hear a lot on this site about what to do when the fight errupts. My question what do you do to avoid the fight. I mean 75% of situations can be avoided if you don't look like a victim. I always keep my head up am always looking around observing people around me. I always do my best to not draw attention to myself and stay very low key. If I see some one following me or looking suspicious I do my very best to let them know I see them. I generally stop walking act like I am looking at something and as they close I give them the old "Hey what's up? or How are you today?" Just to let them know they are seen and I am well aware of their presence, this will deter a lot of "thugs" who are looking for a unaware easy target. If that does not work and they continue to follow, find yourself a well lit and well populated area. Just a few general rules i follow and I am welcome to any intelligent suggestions you all may have.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How to avoid the fight?

You raise a good discussion topic.

I would suggest listening to John Farnam for a lesson on how to avoid being selected. I would also certainly suggest all read Principles of Personal Defense by Col. Cooper.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Allegheny County)

i always thought this website was a good primer on how to recognize when you might become a crime victim and avoid it:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/five_stages.html

(Allegheny County)

Another good tip... Call someone on your phone and talk loud enough that they hear you talking to that person on the phone (start telling them where you are at that exact moment)... A thug is most likely not going to mess with someone who is in touch with another person and who may be able to contact the authorities for you in the case of a problem arising. If you do not have a cell phone then you might want to act like you do and hope that the bad guy is not going to test you on it (act like you are putting your phone to your ear and talk like there is someone on the other line.)

If that doesn't work... act like your completely INSANE... turn to them and glare right in to their eyes for a second and then SCREAM "the moon just asked me what time it is and I do not have a watch, do you have the time?" and then proceed to ask them for $1000.00 so that you can pay your cat for knocking off your dog last week. Then you fall to the ground screaming in pain and then repeatedly ask them to call 911!

That would scare the $%@# outta me if I were going to mug or hurt someone and they did that when I wasn't ready for it.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    I hear a lot on this site about what to do when the fight errupts. My question what do you do to avoid the fight. I mean 75% of situations can be avoided if you don't look like a victim. I always keep my head up am always looking around observing people around me. I always do my best to not draw attention to myself and stay very low key. If I see some one following me or looking suspicious I do my very best to let them know I see them. I generally stop walking act like I am looking at something and as they close I give them the old "Hey what's up? or How are you today?" Just to let them know they are seen and I am well aware of their presence, this will deter a lot of "thugs" who are looking for a unaware easy target. If that does not work and they continue to follow, find yourself a well lit and well populated area. Just a few general rules i follow and I am welcome to any intelligent suggestions you all may have.
    Great post/topic. The best part of "self-defense" is "prevention". Too many dwell on a fantasy of "what if.."....or "would I be justified?"....

You mean you are not going to tell us all about all the great tactics you would use to put lead into somebody at Wal-Mart?

How refreshing............
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Fly View Post
    Another good tip... Call someone on your phone and talk loud enough that they hear you talking to that person on the phone (start telling them where you are at that exact moment)... A thug is most likely not going to mess with someone who is in touch with another person and who may be able to contact the authorities for you in the case of a problem arising. If you do not have a cell phone then you might want to act like you do and hope that the bad guy is not going to test you on it (act like you are putting your phone to your ear and talk like there is someone on the other line.)

If that doesn't work... act like your completely INSANE... turn to them and glare right in to their eyes for a second and then SCREAM "the moon just asked me what time it is and I do not have a watch, do you have the time?" and then proceed to ask them for $1000.00 so that you can pay your cat for knocking off your dog last week. Then you fall to the ground screaming in pain and then repeatedly ask them to call 911!

That would scare the $%@# outta me if I were going to mug or hurt someone and they did that when I wasn't ready for it.
    I'm not sure that anything you said would be a good idea...
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Chester County)

maybe not a good idea but funny as hell.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

This topic has been discussed, and it's good that it comes up from time to time.

It's been said before, but it bears repeating.

Carrying a weapon is a last resort!
    It's there when no other alternative exists either due to unavoidable escalating threats, a clear and present life threatening danger, or no method of reasonable retreat to avoid serious injury.

There is no shame in retreating, or running away screaming like a girl.
    In fact when we choose strap on a gun we raise the bar beyond what our normal activity may be otherwise. A sense of awareness for avoiding trouble is more important than the sense of awareness for discerning it. In fact I feel that when we know how to avoid trouble we know how distinguish the difference. All the “what if” scenarios are getting very old. We should all be extra cautious to avoid any confrontation if for no other reason than to ensure ours, and our families safety. Frankly if anyone here carries a gun and finds themselves traveling in areas or alleys or bars that they would ordinarily avoid that person shouldn’t carry a gun. Not because they’re necessarily looking for a fight, but a sense of over confidence is dangerous. Drawing a weapon or possibly taking someone's life is a decision that will likely occur in a split second, and that decision should only have to be made after all other necessary precautions have been taking to avoid the fight before it can materialize. Then the decision should be crystal clear, or at least as clear as gets.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Philadelphia County)

Great post and something I almost never see on gun forums. Violent fantasies are more fun I guess. Rep to you.

If I see some one following me or looking suspicious I do my very best to let them know I see them.
    This is a good one and has worked for me a few times. If you act/are oblivious to your surroundings you make a more appealing target. A favorite move is to sucker punch the victim so don't be a sucker.

If your being followed lead your pursuers to a more crowded area. I was almost mugged by 2 15 year olds, one with a gun in his waistband in West Philly. I headed towards a busy street and started walking in the bike lane and eventually the gave up. Two kids matching the description were caught after robbing a female student later that week. The gun was a CO2 airgun. Still very scary.

Camoflage: I probably wouldn't have been accosted in the first place if I had been in my everyday dirtbag attire but I was dressed up and probably looked like a rich Penn kid. How you dress can make a more or less appealing target.

Location: "Random" crimes usually happen more in specific places. Don't hang out in those places, especially at night.

Fights: Almost always have a prologue. Maybe it's not your fault, maybe your not even involved. When there is some kind of arguement (particularly when alchohol is involved) give the offenders a wide berth or leave. There's other places I can go.

Hmmmmmmmmm ...So let's see... how to avoid the walmart receipt checker... oooops wrong topic ha ha ha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast