Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Club Recommendations

Greetings, new to this forum though I have been lurking for a while. Great informational resource.

I recently have been looking at becoming a member of a local "sports" club and wanted to seek a few recommendations. Primary activity is target shooting, both pistol and rifle. Archery would be a bonus.

I was hoping to try for the Atglen Sportsman Club which is very close to my home however I lack a sponsor as I am not friends with a current member. This is fact is one of my main concerns as this seems to be standard fare for most clubs, and understandable.

More recently I've been considering the New Holland Rifle and Pistol Club. Outside Chester County I know, but a reasonable drive.

At any rate I know there are several other clubs and would welcome any recommendations

(Chester County)

Default Re: Club Recommendations

www.slcfsa.com. Not far from you on the other side of Quarryville just off 372. Nice people and facility. No indoor range, but a big variety outside. They are limiting membership to 2200 so if you are interested you should contact them. My husband and I joined a month ago. Dues are $50.00/year. No sponsorship required though you need to sign up at the monthly board meeting, pay and attend the orientation before the actual board meeting. Good Luck! RR

(Chester County)

Atglen will be accepting applications at the March meeting (see the website). Show up early and you should be able to find someone to vouche for you.

Also - I'm usually there thursday evenings for indoor archery shooting - stop by and check out the facilities.

Mark

(Chester County)

I didn't realize Atglen was accepting new members. My husband and I have been members there for years. Great club and facilities also. RR

(Chester County)

Penn Dutch is just up the road from New Holland Club. There's been some drama of late with respect to semi-auto longarms, see: the latter pages in http://forum.pafoa.org/lancaster-28/...sportsmen.html but they do have several pistol, rifle, shotgun and archery ranges.

No sponsorship, work party or meeting attendance requirements. They do have a restricted guest policy (spouse and under 16 year olds). I believe they recently implemented a safety orientation for new members.
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Thanks all for the replies. I am going up to New Holland this weekend to check it out. Atglen still is high on my list to follow thru on. Mark perhaps I'll take you up on the visit one of these Thursdays to check out the facilities.
    Joe

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChesterCounty View Post
    Thanks all for the replies. I am going up to New Holland this weekend to check it out. Atglen still is high on my list to follow thru on. Mark perhaps I'll take you up on the visit one of these Thursdays to check out the facilities.
    Joe
    New Holland is an awesome range. Perhaps a little pricey compared with other ranges, but we have some decent facilities and lots of programs.

Meeting is next Tuesday.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

(Chester County)

Ran thru the orientation at New Holland. Nice club, great facilities.

Price was a bit high especially with the initiation fee but a couple of things settled it for me.

First, they where very upfront about the plans and vision for the club (and the reason for the increased fee's). General upgrade, new 25/50/100 range, extending out to 1000yds, etc.

The thing that probably settled it for me was the plans to develop a 3D archery range.

Did sound like they lost a few folks with the membership fee increase but if they follow thru on the investment plan it will be one awesome facility. Already solid.

(Chester County)

Does New Holland have a time when non members can tour the facility? I didn't see anything on their website.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Chester County)

I am not aware of a set time for non-member tours. I do believe they have public events on the calendar but these are not specific to facility tour.

Best bet would be to email the executive team to set up an appointment would be my guess. executives@nhrpc.org

worse case shoot me a PM and I would be happy to walk you around one day. The ink is still wet on my membership card though so i would not be able to add much color about the place though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast