Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default AR15 Stainless Barrel thoughts...

This may have already been covered by members, ran a search didn't go through them all.

For those who have staineless barrels on the AR, what are you sending down it?...are you sticking to 223rem or a fair amount of 5.56?

I only ask becuase it came up at the range. Typically, in my stainless I run Black Hills 55gr 223rem...no paticular reason, it just worked. I was out, but had a ton of Win Q3131A, so began banging the 200M gong. I turned around to find a guy holding my spent cases.....he said I was nuts for feeding a match rifle "Full house Nato" (his words...LOL)...said "you can only put 223rem in a stainless AR or you will wear out your barrel"....I smiled and said "not in my lifetime, thanks for grabbing my brass".

How many of you guys (or gals) are afraid to "wear out" your stainless barrels?

Just curious....
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: AR15 Stainless Barrel thoughts...

I shoot the AR15 in service rifle trim competitively in National Match Course (NRA Highpower). I use Krieger Stainless steel barrels 1-7.7 twist and shoot 77 grain Sierras(for 200-300yds) and 80 grain JLKs(for 600 yds and further). The highest level of accuracy is needed to stay at the top of the National level and that means the rifle needs to shoot 1/2 MOA at 600yds day in and day out. I have gone thru dozens of AR 15 barrels over my competitive career and they all start to show accuracy loss when the throat grows by about .050, that is roughly (but not always) around 4000 rounds. I have had some good barrels show that much wear in as little as 2700 and some Kriegers have gone near 6000, but that is the exception. I find I pull most of my match barrels off at around 4000 rounds. Keep in mind that they will generally shoot real well still (1 MOA or better) at shorter distance like 200 and 300 they still might even be competitive, but I rip them off when they show signs of accuracy loss at 600 and that usually manifests itself in lower X counts during the slow prone portion of the National Match Course (again 600yds).

I look at rifle barrels as a consumable component much like powder, bullets, and primers. I usually go thru 2 barrels per season and with good Kriegers cut and contoured by good smiths like WOA or CLE that means about $550 per barrel...not a cheap sport.
    Last edited by Seneca Arms Co. Inc.; April 2nd, 2008 at 07:46 AM.

So what you're saying is you've got some barrels that start wearing after a couple seasons that you have laying around and might want to sell ?

j/k.

Im still trying to find a barrel for my build and really can't settle on one. I've been about anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours too late on the arfcom EE board to catch a barely used one for a hell of a price. I know of a source for regular wilson non chrome lined barrels for 139 if all else fails.

I was told though that shooting 5.56 in a 5.56 barrel is OK and shooting .223 in a 5.56 barrel is OK. But not to shoot 5.56 in a barrel marked for .223 because it's not rated for the same pressure levels.

with that being said the only true 5.56 I personally have are tracer rounds

otherwise everything I buy is .223.

and I dont even have a working AR yet.

(Franklin County)

Have you looked at a barrel chambered in .223 Wylde?

As I understand it, .223 Wylde supposedly allows for high .223 accuracy while still accommodating the 5.56 NATO or at least that's what I've been told.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    Have you looked at a barrel chambered in .223 Wylde?

As I understand it, .223 Wylde supposedly allows for high .223 accuracy while still accommodating the 5.56 NATO or at least that's what I've been told.
    I run WOA barrels in 3 gun.

No I don't bump fire them or abuse them and I run them with match ammo reloads when money is on the line.

My WOA barrels can shoot under .5 moa with handloads and I use that in matches......it makes a difference. Like any barrel they loosen over time and rounds.

But...I have a shaw lightweight barrel that shoots 1 moa. I bump it and abuse it.

The gun does not matter...you r expectations matter.

Lycandecidethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

1 moa is fine for me, really. If a wilson or shaw will do that...I'll be fine.

(Lawrence County)

For the most part....any AR with a free floated barrel and handloads will be darn close....if not better than that.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post

How many of you guys (or gals) are afraid to "wear out" your stainless barrels?

Just curious....
    I also have a WOA ss barrel, I shoot wolf ammo. I'm not afraid. Like sac said, it's a consumable part, like heads, powder and primers.

(Montgomery County)

[QUOTE=Kaos;265193]So what you're saying is you've got some barrels that start wearing after a couple seasons that you have laying around and might want to sell ?

j/k.

QUOTE]

I do in fact. I sell my takes offs all the time for $130 and that includes the headspaced bolt with it. I bet I have 4 laying around the shop right now with 4000 or less rounds thru them.

PM Sent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast