Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Legal way to apply for a LTCF?

I'm thinking of changing the address on my driver's license to one in Delaware County and then applying there. It's free and the change of address is done online. I would get an update card with the new address. I would then apply and after I get approved, go back online and change my address back to the old one in Philly.

This was suggested by a cop in Delaware County. He made it seem awfully easy. Said a license is good anywhere in the state and the address on it or what county it's issued from doesn't matter. I won't even have to change the address.

Anybody ever done this?

I tried to renew my PA LTCF in 2010 in Philadelphia. I was denied under the character clause. I didn't appeal the decision and instead got a Florida license. Reapplying in 2013 would be point less. I have an expunged arrest in 2009. Case was withdrawn. No convictions or other issues.
    Last edited by one_Self; February 12th, 2013 at 02:26 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Legal way to apply for a LTCF?

Do you really reside in Delaware County? I definitely wouldn't suggest misrepresenting your place of residence on an LTCF application. You have to sign below the following statement:

I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have never been committed to a mental institution or mental health care facility. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms, I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city. This certification is made subject to both the penalties of § 4904 of the Crimes Code, 18 Pa.C.S., relating to unsworn falsifications to authorities and the Uniform Firearms Act.

(Chester County)

Your cop friend sounds like of like an FBI agent encouraging people to buy fake explosive parts so he can arrest them for it.

It sounds like your options are to intentionally misrepresent the truth on your application or to appeal so you can get one legitimately.

The deceitful way won't cost you anything unless you are caught, which could get very expensive. The legal way might get expensive initially, but has no future risk of criminal charges.

Getting caught would have been a lower risk if you not just admitted your plans on a public forum.

(Philadelphia County)

You are probably not the first person to think of this. I wonder if the paper update to your driver's license is a flag for further investigation? As compared to a complete new laminated license.

(Lehigh County)

Sounds to me like you are trying to skirt the law anyway you can. I really do not have any sympathy for anyone who goes on a public forum and asks for help on breaking the law. There is a reason they do not want you to carry a firearm, i suggest you put the time and effort into fixing it than trying to get around it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    Sounds to me like you are trying to skirt the law anyway you can. I really do not have any sympathy for anyone who goes on a public forum and asks for help on breaking the law. There is a reason they do not want you to carry a firearm, i suggest you put the time and effort into fixing it than trying to get around it.
    Get a life and stop trolling the forum with negative comments on everyone's thread. You have quite a few of them.

There is nothing to fix but the process to get one in Philly. This is a shall issue state but Philly will deny you for parking tickets.

I suggest you look into why people in Philly look for other ways.
    Last edited by one_Self; February 12th, 2013 at 12:19 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fujisawa-sensai View Post
    Do you really reside in Delaware County? I definitely wouldn't suggest misrepresenting your place of residence on an LTCF application. You have to sign below the following statement:
    That's what I came across looking into it. The whole thing sounds fishy too me.

(Montgomery County)

This may work for serving on the Norristown council but I wouldn't try this for a LTCF.
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

(York County)

I suggest just moving into a nearby county and getting out of Philly altogether. Move just over the nearest line allowing you to get a proper LTCF, but close enough to Philly to maintain your job and relationships. If having an LTCF is important to you, now and in the furure, then do it right, legal, and in a way that can't be used to hammer you in the future.

(Philadelphia County)

i own a home in philadelphia . my grandmother fell ill in 2010 i stayed with her for 6 months at her home in norwood . 3 months into it i changed my dl to her address got my ltcf and when i went back to philly 3 months later i changed it back. nothing illegal about it . now if you wont be living in delco . this will still work but i wouldnt recomend it.
    IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast