Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Build

(Philadelphia County)

Default AR-15 Build

Looking to build My own AR-15. I do not want to do a cheap build and I do not want to do an expensive build. Can anyone recommend any sites to find what I need. This will be My first build.

(York County)

Default Re: AR-15 Build

ar15.com

more than you'll be able to digest....
    Underwater, the ONLY way to fly...

(Luzerne County)

Unfortunately, any build will be either an expensive build or vaporware in today's market. IF no AWB or other ban takes place, prices should come down to realistic levels.

As suggested, hit AR15.com; when there, check out the links across the top of the forum pages for suppliers of parts and accessories. They also have a very active and large "EE"," or Equipment Exchange that you can use with a free registration to the site.

Some suppliers to check out:
    Bravo Co. Mfg [barrels, uppers, general parts]
    Brownell's [everything really]
    Rainier Arms [barrels, muzzle devices]
    AIM Surplus [barreled uppers - Spikes Tactical, etc.]
    PK Firearms [barreled uppers, etc]
    Primary Arms [Magpul and other furniture, uppers, etc.]
    Palmetto State Armory [everything, and some good values under their own brand, but the word these days is that C.S. is slipping which is sad...]

(Bucks County)

In addition to fishdart's list also check out midwayusa.com.

I've built a couple 1911s and an AR. I got all of my parts from brownell's and midwayusa. At the time if you actually registered for an account on brownell's as opposed to checking out as a guest you would get some good discounts, that was about five/six years ago so don't know if that's still the case.

I haven't checked availability of parts in a while so good luck.

(Lehigh County)

Please use the search feature on this website. his question had been answered appox. 20+ times in the time that i have been a member. thank you and have a nice day.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    Please use the search feature on this website. his question had been answered appox. 20+ times in the time that i have been a member. thank you and have a nice day.
    I was going to post something similar earlier this morning and opted to not say anything. Since you brought it up, though...

To the OP: The fact is that there are a lot of knowledgeable people like tonyfac or me who are more than willing to help. It's been evident in the past, like tonyfac has offered to help a new AR builder in person. I myself have spent a lot of time typing things up, as have many others. I bet you another 10 members with similar experiences who saw this thread and simply clicked the "Back" button.

It's not that we don't want to help you, but you MUST help yourself first. Do some homework then ask specific questions. Your question is just about as generic as it can be. Simply search "how to build an AR15" on Google and start to do some reading and watch some videos on Youtube. Write down questions as you have them and post them all together, we will do our best to answer them.

Cheers,
    Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(York County)

I think your problem will be getting the parts for your build! Most parts are out of this world crazy in price. Bolt Carrier groups are almost non-existent unless you get an upper with one and I have seen uppers going for $8-900 alone. Good luck on your endevoour, there have been some very good suggestions posted, but finding the parts you want is going to be your biggest problem.

(Monroe County)

Not cheap,but buying a complete used AR will be the cheapest and a lot less frustrating,lowers,uppers,bolt carrier groups,LPK's,barrels,mags and rifle length buffer tubes and buffers are no where to be found.(all are on national back order) buy a lower put it in your safe and build it next year,by then all the parts listed above will be around again, not so sure about the lowers though, so get one now. OH and if you do get an AR good luck getting ammo to shoot out of it.
    "If your not prepaired to go all the way,than your not prepaired to go anywhere! " James yeager 1/9/13

your gonna pay a pretty penny at this point. I was interested for about a minute in building my own ar. than I calculated cost.

(Philadelphia County)

I have decided to wait it out. Thanks for all the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast