Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Ending Philadelphia Gun Permit Unit's Practices

I am looking to apply for a resident LTFC from Philadelphia again. Mine expired in 2010. I tried to renew it but was denied under the character clause because of an expunged arrest in 2009 (it wasn't revoked then. It was never brought up). I didn't appeal it but instead got a Florida permit soon after. I have no convictions. I bought a gun (and passed the PICS background check) in 2012. Need something else now that my Florida permit will be no good come June.

We all know how Philly is. I would have to provide the following that isn't required by law:

1.) 2 forms of proof of address (other than your i.d)
    2.) 2 passport photos
    3.) 2 references sheets

Further, I would have to be (4) interviewed when submitting app, (5) their decision won't be within the statutory 45 days and (6) fingerprinted.

Philly says they won't accept the application if I don't provide the first three things. We all know that's against the law and I want to challenge that. I'm already exploring several legal options. One of which is an emergency injunction.

**I plan on recording everything with a hidden button camera I got off ebay. It records both audio and video.**

If this so called loophole is being ended then Philadelphia will have to PLAY BY THE RULES!!!!
    Last edited by one_Self; February 10th, 2013 at 03:22 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Ending Philadelphia Gun Permit Unit's Practices

You would need to check with a lawyer. Audio recording a conversation without consent, or without informing the other party would likely be a violation of Pennsylvannia Wiretapping and Electronic Surveillance Laws. I believe this would constitute a third degree felony unless it falls under one of the exemptions. The Gun Permit Unit would likely be very sensitive about this as most petty bureaucrats tend to be when their questionable, abusive, or illegal practices are focused on. If the use of the button camera/microphone is considered illegal, the city might use this to metaphorically bugger you even further than they already have. Hopefully one of the lawyers on this forum can chime in on this.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle View Post
    You would need to check with a lawyer. Audio recording a conversation without consent, or without informing the other party would likely be a violation of Pennsylvannia Wiretapping and Electronic Surveillance Laws. I believe this would constitute a third degree felony unless it falls under one of the exemptions. The Gun Permit Unit would likely be very sensitive about this as most petty bureaucrats tend to be when their questionable, abusive, or illegal practices are focused on. If the use of the button camera/microphone is considered illegal, the city might use this to metaphorically bugger you even further than they already have. Hopefully one of the lawyers on this forum can chime in on this.
    Thanks for the response. Good stuff.

Public building, public employee, building security cams in place and signs that say you're being recorded. I think it would be legal because everyone are already being recorded in the building.

Purpose of recording is to get them refusing to accept my application.
    Last edited by one_Self; February 10th, 2013 at 03:06 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Then what?

You may win a small battle, but if you lose the war (do not get you LTCF), what have you accomplished?

(Delaware County)

I believe all of the things you listed above are requirements for everyone to obtain a LTCF in Philly, at least it was for me. As far as voice recording, you would be OK if you get their consent first. IE, before you start recording just tell them I will be recording this conversation.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Then what?

You may win a small battle, but if you lose the war (do not get you LTCF), what have you accomplished?
    If he doesn't try you know what happens then?

Nothing.

I don't see anything wrong with someone trying to make changes to how Philthy behaves. More power to the OP.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

More power & luck to him also.

If not providing the few additional things that they require (which others have done) are what prevents him from getting a LTCF, what has been accomplished?

If he has time time & resources for a long battle, good for him.

If he wants a LTCF quickly?

(Philadelphia County)

If not providing the few additional things that they require (which others have done) are what prevents him from getting a LTCF, what has been accomplished?

That's the thing: I won't be approved. I was already denied in 2010 when I tried to renew it.

It's about the process.

I'm going for an Arizona non resident permit and hoping Kane doesn't change that too. And if she does? Then I'll probably change my address on my license and apply in Delaware county.

(Lancaster County)

If their "requirements" violate the UFA, then he should be standing up for himself and forcing them to actually obey the law. Just because everyone else has chosen to lay down and be fucked up the ass doesn't mean he has to. Maybe if the people of Philly would stand together and demand that the GPU follow the same policies that the majority of the other counties follow then the fight would be a little easier. Instead when one guy stands up and said he wants to fight the system, we have other people telling him to sit down and shut up.
    Last edited by streaker69; February 10th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by one_Self View Post
    That's the thing: I won't be approved. I was already denied in 2010 when I tried to renew it.

It's about the process.

I'm going for an Arizona non resident permit and hoping Kane doesn't change that too. And if she does? Then I'll probably change my address on my license and apply in Delaware county.
    Well good luck with whatever you hope to change about the process.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast