Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New O/U

(Allegheny County)

Default New O/U

I'm looking to buy a new over/under. I have been looking at Browning Citori XS and also at the Beretta ultralight deluxe. Does anyone have either one of these, and also what are your thoughts on them? I was considering the pigeon series by beretta also. Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Ron

(Bedford County)

Default Re: New O/U

I'm a Browning guy. I own more than a few Citori shotguns.

Both Beretta and Browning are excellent guns that will last for years. You will know which you like better as soon as you pick both up. You can't go wrong with either, I promise you.

Ron,
    You know my pick.....But, like Buckmark said, I picked up that damn XS and it was as if Browning custom fit the damn thing to my body. When I get off my butt, I will get one and we can do some shooting.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rtrageser View Post
    I'm looking to buy a new over/under. I have been looking at Browning Citori XS and also at the Beretta ultralight deluxe. Does anyone have either one of these, and also what are your thoughts on them? I was considering the pigeon series by beretta also. Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Ron
    Can't advise unless you tell us what you want to do with the OU. I shoot trap and have had 3, 2 brownings and a cheap ass Stoeger. I currently shoot a Browning XT and haven't looked back.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Hawk, I want a nice looking O/U that i can use for skeet, sporting clays, AND hunting. I mainly shoot sporting clays, but I do hunt grouse and pheasants from time to time. I always liked the XS skeet, but really like the look of the beretta ultralight deluxe.

(Allegheny County)

Hawk, I want a nice looking O/U that i can use for skeet, sporting clays, AND hunting. I mainly shoot sporting clays, but I do hunt grouse and pheasants from time to time. I always liked the XS skeet, but really like the look of the beretta ultralight deluxe.
    Ah, that makes a difference for your choice. So your looking for something that looks nice and you also want to take it into the field. The XS is not a cheap gun at $2000. I'd be hesitant to drag it into the field because I wouldn't want to risk scratching it up. But thats just me. I'd probably buy two guns, a less expensive field gun and the XS for the range. No one really cares what your field gun is. Off the top of my head I'm guessing the XS is also noticeably heavier than a typical field gun by about 25%, not sure I'd want to lug it through the woods all day.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

I went out today and looked at a few different guns. The XS was the best fit for me, shouldered very nicely, if not just a hair too long. The 525, though, I seemed to like a bit more. Barrels were ported, mida grade choke tubes, but it was too long for me. No problem there, I could have the local smith cut it down to fit, but we'll see. I also looked at a Beretta White Onyx. This was the only Beretta they had in stock. Kind of plain in the reciever, but very nice wood to it. Also a very good fit, but the barrels wern't ported, either. Another disadvantage to it is that it seemed to be a right handed only gun. When i shouldered it left handed, my face was away from the stock. I didn't like that. I shoot right handed, but occasionally shoot left handed. I've said on here before that I have eye problems, so i never know how long i will be shooting right-handed. I may have to eventually shoot shotguns left handed.

If I have to shoot them lefty, and have a righty friendly gun, I'm lost. Currently, I shoot rifles and bow left handed, and shotguns and pistol righty.

I'm leaning toward either the XS or the 525, not sure just what yet. Maybe the 525, I seemed to like it better. i know that the XS comes with ported barrels, it's just the one they had didn't have them. i would order ported if I bought the XS.

I also shouldered a cynergy, but I'm not sure about it. It had this crazy looking recoil system, don't know if I like that or not. the gun shouldered nicely, but I'm just not sure. They do have a neat package, though, where you get 2 sets of barrels. One set is a 28" field barrels, the other 30" ported sporting clays barrels, with the Midas choke tube system. Decisons, decisisons

Ron
    Last edited by rtrageser; April 4th, 2008 at 05:27 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I didn't notice before that you were here in Pgh. The shop you went to must of been High-Grade on Rt 30, right? Thats where I bought my XT.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

No, unfortunately hawk, i went to gander Mountain West mifflin, because I knew they would have something to look at. I had no intention of buying there, just knew they have the inventory. I didn't even know about high Grade, where is that? I know you said Rt 30, where-abouts? I'm somewhat familiar with 30, at least from parkway through to Latrobe.

I ordered a 525 last night from a local gun shop where i buy all my guns. He had gander beat by $600 on the sporting 525. I didn't buy that one though, the gun that I ordered is actually somewhat rare. It is a grade VI 525 Field gun. Supposedly exquisite wood, will be in in a week. I couldn't pass up the price on this gun. It is probably in actuality a $3000-$3500 gun. Golden pheasants on the reciever, Hi-grade wood, 26" barrles, which I like. I'm pretty excited to say the least. I liked the looks of the XS when i first looked at it, but this is way nicer and much more intricate than the XS. I also liked the feel of the 525, so I think I'm getting the best of both worlds.

When i get the gun, i'll try to post some pics of it. It has 3" chamber, not that i need it, but it has it. The barrels are not ported, but if I feel like I want them ported, the gunsmith will send them out to Magnaport for me, I've already had 2 guns sent to them, am inline and a slug-gun. I'll probably have him cut down the stock if I feel it needs it, but for now, I'm pretty much watching the clock for the thing to come in.

The only problem that I see is that by the time I get it, I might have to wait a while to go shooting sporting clays with it. Not sure when I might get the chance, it might be a few weeks till i even get to shoot it. I'm pretty busy right now, so we'll see. Can't wait, though, that's for sure.

Ron

(Allegheny County)

No, unfortunately hawk, i went to gander Mountain West mifflin, because I knew they would have something to look at. I had no intention of buying there, just knew they have the inventory. I didn't even know about high Grade, where is that? I know you said Rt 30, where-abouts? I'm somewhat familiar with 30, at least from parkway through to Latrobe.

Ron

Here's their site:
    http://www.higradeshooters.com/
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast