Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Florida gun loophole now closed

She is starting to erode our rights less then 30 days after taking office. Just another example of how elections have consequences.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...y_General.html

The Florida gun loophole, which allowed Philadelphia gun owners to skirt the city's strict handgun-carrying rules, was closed today by Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen G. Kane. Florida gun permit holders in Pennsylvania now must be legal residents of Florida.

The loophole allowed about 900 city residents to carry a weapon in Philadelphia if they had a mail-order permit issued by Florida.

"Our states gun traffic and permits should never be bypassed," said Kane in a statement issued before she held a lunch hour news conference. "Closing this loophole shows that it is possible to swiftly implement common sense gun safety measures that protect our streets. This is my administrations first official step, but it certainly will not be our last."

Many of the Florida permit holders previously were denied carry priveledges by Philadelphia Police, which has that discretion under state law.

One of the Florida permit holders faces murder charges for the 2010 killing of a would-be thief in Hunting Park, and other permit holders have been suspected by police of drug dealing.

"This is a significant step toward making Philadelphia, and the entire Commonwealth, safer for all residents," said Mayor Michael A. Nutter. "Modification of the firearm reciprocity agreement with Florida will ensure that all citizens with Concealed Carry Permits in Pennsylvania have met the standards set forth by our great state."

Florida gun permit owners in Pennsylvania have 120 days under the agreement to obtain a Commonwealth-issued concealed carry permit. There are approximately 4,000 Pennsylvanians, who have obtained a Florida permit, said Kane.

District Attorney Seth Williams said moving to close the loophole was an issue of states rights.

"Why would we allow officials in another state to decide which Pennsylvanians may carry a concealed weapon in Pennsylvania?" Williams said. "General Kane correctly recognizes that it is bad policy to cede important law enforcement decisions to officials who know nothing about Pennsylvania from other states."

(Chester County)

Default Re: Florida gun loophole now closed

IANAL

(Lehigh County)

It just goes to show that she really doesn't have a clue what the requirements are to obtain FL, although if Philly would just follow the law it wouldn't be an issue. Its easy enough to make the AG interpretations, although Im curious how this would actually play out in the courts. I always thought the AG was just that, an attorney and didnt necessarily make the rules. While I might be missing out on something, Im also sure that some more knowledgeable members can steer me straight.

No harm though - my wife an I are amongst of the 4000 that have FL licenses (mainly for DE, OH travel) in addition to PA LTCF.

(Bucks County)

Here's a notice on her site:

Notice

How'd they make the modification so quickly? Gov doesn't move that fast.

(Venango County)

Umm, it is not state's rights; it's individual rights.

We should all move to have the permit system abolished in PA. This opens up the reason why we need constitutional carry.

Anyone should be able to carry in any manner until / unless convicted of a felony, IMHO. Then it should be carrying as a prohibited person (possession) if caught with a weapon. No permits or denials. Upon conviction, one should be informed and sign a paper and again upon release that they are not to own, possess or carry a firearm as a prohibited person unless pardoned or expunged.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Delaware County)

This doesn't affect me personally, but I'm wondering, if I lived in Philly and their gun permit unit wouldn't issue me a LTCF for something like having too many parking tickets, what is the nearest county that I could get a non-resident permit from without any hassle (other than driving there and back a couple of times)?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jbrower View Post
    This doesn't affect me personally, but I'm wondering, if I lived in Philly and their gun permit unit wouldn't issue me a LTCF for something like having too many parking tickets, what is the nearest county that I could get a non-resident permit from without any hassle (other than driving there and back a couple of times)?

You can't. A PA resident must get their LTCF from the county in which they reside.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

And if you live in Philly and have a Utah permit? How does that apply?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillybob View Post
    And if you live in Philly and have a Utah permit? How does that apply?
    You will legally be fine... until they close that "loophole" as well.

You will still probably be arrested by dumb ass police who don't understand our reciprocity agreements.
    Free "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you. Going for the Pa permit,Just haven't had time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast