Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: SBR'd AR15 - a brief guide and my experience

Quote Originally Posted by jcamin View Post
    Suppose I have a DPMS lower for my current AR with all their info.... 5.56 caliber, SN 12345, etc and I want to convert this to an SBR. Do I still need to engrave my name and city on the lower? Do I need to engrave a new serial number? And how do I fill out the Form 1? With DPMS information as original manufacturer? or me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxicodendron11 View Post
    Yes,you have to get the engraving done and you use the DPMS,original manufacturers info, Went through same thing when I registered a stag factory lower.
    From the NFA Handbook, Ch.6;

6.2.1 Description of firearm. If an existing firearm or firearm receiver is being used,

the name and location of the original manufacturer of the weapon should be entered in Block 4(a).

If the applicant is making a completely new firearm, the applicant’s name and location should be entered in Block 4(a).
    It seems clear from this text that taking an existing lower, and adding a shortened barrel, the lower would have all the necessary engraving.

BTW, what are we (unlicensed assemblers) really manufacturing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lehigh County)

I gave them the complete lower.
    I suppose the front of the magwell is the only place the'll engrave a complete lower?

I ask because I have a complete lower as well, and just wanted to know my engraving options?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    From the NFA Handbook, Ch.6;

It seems clear from this text that taking an existing lower, and adding a shortened barrel, the lower would have all the necessary engraving.

BTW, what are we (unlicensed assemblers) really manufacturing?
    The NFA Handbook is not the best source for info on NFA, there are several errors in the text.

The ATF's definition of 'manufacturing' is reallllllllllllly broad and includes something as simple as assembling parts, refinishing, etc. Our logical men definition is more akin to 'cutting chips', however this is not the case, and the ATF is not logical. The definition is based on taxes and whether or not excise tax is due on items. Read up on it. A FFL needs an 07 license to assemble AR's, refinish guns, mounts scopes before sale, etc. Anything done before the sale is 'manufacturing', while anything done after the sale is 'gunsmithing'.

You DEFINITELY need to engrave your name, city and state on the lower. Otherwise you have a potentially illegal SBR. Must also meet the ATF standards of .03" deep and 1/16" high.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaerer320 View Post
    I suppose the front of the magwell is the only place the'll engrave a complete lower?

I ask because I have a complete lower as well, and just wanted to know my engraving options?
    It depends on the place, what size engraver they have, and what kind of jig they are using. I usually have stuff done on the side of the magwell.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Bucks County)

[QUOTE=Wayfaerer320;2165962]I suppose the front of the magwell is the only place the'll engrave a complete lower?

I ask because I have a complete lower as well, and just wanted to know my engraving options?[/QUOTE

They put in in the area above the trigger.
    Last edited by Toxicodendron11; October 12th, 2012 at 12:06 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by csementuh View Post

The ATF's definition of 'manufacturing' is reallllllllllllly broad and includes something as simple as assembling parts, refinishing, etc.

The ATF's definition of manufacturing also includes the sale of such firearm, whether wholesale or retail, which does not apply to non-licensees. In fact when multiple 07's handle a firearm, to either assemble or modify, the original I.D.'s on the firearm can be the only one. http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulin...ing-2009-5.pdf

CH. 6, which I quoted, pertains to non-license person making an NFA firearm, whereas Ch. 7 deals with manufacturing for sale.

I'm going to do some more internet surfing on this topic. As it stands, everyone and their uncle is saying engraving is part of the deal, but the text I've been reading seem contrarian to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Westmoreland County)

It has been a generally accepted fact since who knows when that individuals whether licensees or not are required to engrave the receiver when 'manufacturing' a NFA firearm.

Reading won't do much for you. Calling the ATF gets you ten different answers from ten different people. If you want a concise answer write the ATF and have them return to you an official letter with your name on it. Maybe they will say not to engrave? (But very much likely not.) That is your only defense.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaerer320 View Post
    Finally got my signatures and fingerprints.

I sealed the envelop shut, but just now realized that I have my middle initial listed as just "R." for the engraving section.

Will they absolutely positively send that back and ask for my full middle name for the engraving? Or is that middle initial OK?

The rest of my name is written out in full. Just the middle initial that is not.
    They sent mine back to me in july for doing that, thats why I mentioned it in here that it was "unacceptable"

I used white out on the whole line and re-wrote my full name and city/state. They accepted it.
    The girl told me white out on an official document wasnt acceptable and to (like the others have said) put a line through it and initail it...... It leaves it looking like a jumbled mess, but I got my paperwork back in about 2 weeks.

(Berks County)

I have a quick question for those who have had their paperwork come back for the correction of the middle initial.

I have already had my lower engraved (had it done before sending off the paperwork in July) and I had the engraver abbreviate my middle initial since at that time that was considered acceptable. I will be having the lower re-engraved soon. Do I need to have my city/state engraved again or will just having my name re-engraved somewhere else on the lower be acceptable enough?

Just looking for opinions and to see what others have done as well. I may just have it all done over again to be safe, but it would be nice not to have as much clutter on my lower.

Thanks in advance.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RWessner View Post
    I have a quick question for those who have had their paperwork come back for the correction of the middle initial.

I have already had my lower engraved (had it done before sending off the paperwork in July) and I had the engraver abbreviate my middle initial since at that time that was considered acceptable. I will be having the lower re-engraved soon. Do I need to have my city/state engraved again or will just having my name re-engraved somewhere else on the lower be acceptable enough?

Just looking for opinions and to see what others have done as well. I may just have it all done over again to be safe, but it would be nice not to have as much clutter on my lower.

Thanks in advance.

I had both re-done. Don't know if I had to but better safe then sorry.

(Berks County)

Thanks, that was my thought too, just wanted another opinion. I have an appointment for Friday to have my engraving redone and just will have it all done to be safe. I don't need any more delays once the paperwork comes back.

Thanks again, this whole thread and tutorial was very helpful.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast