Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: SBR'd AR15 - a brief guide and my experience

Are Form 4s also supposed to go to Martinsburg or just Form 1s?

(Montgomery County)

addresses for where each type of paperwork goes is found ON each form.

the current F1s say Martinsburg, the current F4s say :

Submit in Duplicate to:
    National Firearms Act Branch
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms
    and Explosives, P.O. Box 530298
    Atlanta, GA 30353-0298
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

and as a note, just got back from the Copshop, CLEO signed my F1s to SBR my PS90.

Its in the mail, and on the way!
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Northampton County)

I'm actually visiting Martinsburg in the next few weeks. They have a lot of church radio, you never have to go to church. It should be exciting to be in the same town as the people who are not even bothering with my paperwork.

(Northampton County)

ithinkimamedic,

Great write-up that has helped me tremendously. I only have one question that I cannot resolve on my own.

In your post you say that you listed the calibers in your Form 1 as (.22lr, 9mm, 5.56mm). The engraving that you added to the receiver only has your name, town, and state. What caliber came stamped on the lower from the manufacturer? I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that your lower probably just lists 5.56 as the caliber. If you are relying on the manufacturers engraving for some of the Form 1 requirements do you need to update the receiver with the additional calibers? I am asking because I am putting together an SBR that will be using a lower that is marked as "multi" from the manufacturer. If I list several calibers on the form (i.e. 5.56, 6.8) would I need to engrave them on the receiver in addition to the "multi" mark? Since the receiver states "multi" should I just put "multi" on the form? I do not want to have the form rejected for the "multi" caliber entry but I also do not want to add any unnecessary engraving to the receiver. I'm not sure what to do since in your example it does not appear that your engraved calibers match the calibers listed on your form.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who do not.”
    --- Benjamin Franklin

(Centre County)

My reciver is from Anvil Arms and listed at "Multi" from the factory. From what I have read there is nothing stating that you have to have the specific calibers you plan on using on the SBR engraved on the reciver. The only reason I didn't write "multi" on the form is becasue of the reports of those F1s being required to be edited prior to approval. I think you would be fine listing your cal's on the form and leaving the reciver engraved as "multi". Again these are my interpritations based on my reading, if I find something else I will edit and update as nesseasry. I hope I was able to help and welcome aborad.

Cheers,
    josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Northampton County)

Thanks, I think I have a good understanding now of what to do.
    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who do not.”
    --- Benjamin Franklin

(Centre County)

UPDATE:

Gun has been finished being built for a little while (I know I have been slacking)! Photo's to come soon though apparently Rocketfoot took video of me shooting it in 9mm this past weekend. Here it is! Enjoy!

Cheers,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Northampton County)

I've been reading these posts for a while. I Figured now would be a good time to join since I just recieived clarification from the ATF how they want form 1's filled out. Hope this helps some of you out there.

Q1: Block 4(c) asks for the caliber of the firearm. The receiver is stamped "MULTI", is "MULTI" an acceptable answer for 4(c)? If it is not and an actual caliber needs to be listed, are listing several
    different calibers. (ie, "9mm, 5.56, 22 lr, 45 ACP) acceptable?

A1: No, Block 4(c) requires a specific caliber to be entered, notice the "(specify)" in that block. Although your specific receiver is stamped "multi" from original manufacturer, for the purposes of manufacturing and registering an NFA firearm, a specific caliber would need to be listed in this block.

Q2:
    I also have the same question in relation to 4(e) and 4(f) with regard to barrel length. As the AR-15 is a modular platform, is "less than 16", or a range such as (5"-16") allowable for the barrel length, or should the barrel length block be filled in for a particular barrel length. If a particular caliber and barrel length needs to be listed, is it acceptable to temporarily change the configuration by switching uppers without notifying the ATF?

A2: Keeping in mind the modularity of the AR type of firearms, for the registration as a short barrel rifle, it is recommended that a particular configuration be utilized (i.e. caliber: 5.56mm, barrel
    length: 12 inches).
    Once the Application to Make and Register a Firearm (ATF Form 1) is approved, it is permissible to utilize any barrel less than 16 inches in length having a rifled bore of less than one-half inch in diameter.

Though not required, it is recommended that if you are going to be interchanging different lengths of barrels or different size calibers, you list the different configurations as an attachment either to the Form 1, or mail/fax in to the National Firearms Act Branch at later date, so that the registry can accurately reflect the possible combinations of your firearm.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact.

(Beaver County)

I know I could look this up, myself, but I think this is pertinent to this discussion:

Once you're approved and have built your SBR, is it a violation to put an upper on the lower receiver with a barrel that is 16 inches, or longer?
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast