Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Re: SBR'd AR15 - a brief guide and my experience

Thanks for the reply. No, I am not replacing the stock on the existing lower with a pistol buffer tube or pinning a 5.5" flash suppressor/comp on the end of the barrel. I think you have answered my question. By having the parts to construct is a "no-no". I will begin the paperwork process to legally own a SBR. I appreciate your response. Thank you.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunownr View Post
    By having the parts to construct is a "no-no"
    Now that you posted on a public forum the smartest thing to do would be to ship the pistol upper to someone who already has a SBR and let them shoot the crap out of it while you are waiting for your stamp.

Otherwise I would suggest don't do anything that would result in a raid on your home and you probably will be just fine.

If you are really worried about it have a good friend or relative hold the upper for you assuming they don't possess an AR.

(Bucks County)

I sort of have a question about measuring the overall length for the paperwork. Assuming it's an SBR AR, how do you get an accurate measurement if:

A) you don't have the all of the parts yet?

and...

B) if you did, you're not actually allowed to assemble the 2 halves to measure as it would then be an illegal SBR?

(Armstrong County)

What kind of SBR are you building?

If its an AR, do you have one already?
    Do you have a similar stock? OAL can be measured with the stock collapsed if you plan on using one with the build.
    Measure your current Title 1 weapons and subtract the difference of what ever the barrel length for your SBR will be.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post

Do you have a similar stock? OAL can be measured with the stock collapsed if you plan on using one with the build.
    Measure your current Title 1 weapons and subtract the difference of what ever the barrel length for your SBR will be.
    Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. I have a Colt 6920 now and I was hoping to use that one but I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I'm just starting to look into all of this.

Another question about the engraving, do you need to have that done before sending the paperwork in or can I wait until I'm sure that I will be approved?

Also, about the middle name/abbreviation thing, If I don't want to use a middle name on the engraving is that OK as long as I don't write a middle name on the form?

I ask these questions because I had a small legal issue here in PA but received ARD so all of the records were expunged. I've bought 6-7 guns and renewed my LTCF (which was never revoked because of it) since then. So I'm wondering if I should wait to do the engraving if there is a different or more stringent background check for NFA items.

(Bucks County)

Will that be an accurate enough measurement for them?

The AR I have is a 16" barrel but may measure as 16.25 for example (I don't have it in front of me) and just for this discussion, I wanted to use an 11.5" upper but the barrel actually measured to 11.75", would I put the barrel length as 11.5 or does it have to be the 100% exact accurate measurement?

Hopefully this makes sense the way I worded it.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by boomer_aaa View Post
    Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. I have a Colt 6920 now and I was hoping to use that one but I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I'm just starting to look into all of this.

Another question about the engraving, do you need to have that done before sending the paperwork in or can I wait until I'm sure that I will be approved?

Also, about the middle name/abbreviation thing, If I don't want to use a middle name on the engraving is that OK as long as I don't write a middle name on the form?

I ask these questions because I had a small legal issue here in PA but received ARD so all of the records were expunged. I've bought 6-7 guns and renewed my LTCF (which was never revoked because of it) since then. So I'm wondering if I should wait to do the engraving if there is a different or more stringent background check for NFA items.
    Engrave it the same as your form will read. First last, first middle last, fist middle initial last.

A lot of guys engrave before they send their forms just to be sure its engraved correctly with the exact info needed.
    There is no "you must have it done before mailing" requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer_aaa View Post
    Will that be an accurate enough measurement for them?

The AR I have is a 16" barrel but may measure as 16.25 for example (I don't have it in front of me) and just for this discussion, I wanted to use an 11.5" upper but the barrel actually measured to 11.75", would I put the barrel length as 11.5 or does it have to be the 100% exact accurate measurement?

Hopefully this makes sense the way I worded it.
    Are you measuring the barrel with a flash hider or w/o?
    ATF measures by dropping a dowel rod down the barrel on a closed bolt.
    So take an AR bolt and hold it in place. Drop your rod down the tube allowing it to rest on the bolt face. Mark the rod at the barrel, not the flash hider, and measure from there.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Centre County)

Nate is correct on all counts above.

Sorry took so long to get to this, been in dispose at a location with free wifi but those bastards block all gun relate sites!

oh and thanks Nate for getting good info out sooner than I could!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions when I get started on the process.

(Westmoreland County)

Good info, but incorrect on one important note.

Federal law (ATF) wants overall length measurements with the stock fully EXTENDED not collapsed or with the stock OPEN for the stocks that fold.

They care about how large the gun is, not how small it can be. Now some states such as NJ care about how small the gun can be, so they want it measured as such.

As said, don't include the muzzle device in the OAL.

Please measure the OAL correct. The ATF likely won't kick down your door and shoot your dogs if it's 1/2" off, but it's important to keep the NFA registry accurate as possible.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast