Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: has anyone been in similar situations?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

0 0%
  • no

20 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question can anyone help with some information? anything at all will help.

a friend of mine was caught buying marijuana by a plainclothes officer. the said friend had a firearm on their person. the firearm itslelf is fully legal and with concealed carry permit. before you pass over this question, yes this person is an idiot. i do not agree with what this person was doing, as i believe it makes the rest of us law abiding gun owners look ignorant.. i am just looking to see if anyone has any idea of what the maximum and or minimum legal repercussions would be in a situation like this. thank you for time. sorry my first post had to be about something so stupid. but any help is appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: can anyone help with some information? anything at all will help.

PWID with a firearm is 5 years mandatory minimum sentence.

he's fucked.

(Montgomery County)

oh sorry, he was BUYING.

I thought he was selling.

Not sure then. Sorry for the scare.

(Lehigh County)

so it depend what this person is charged with? apparently this person has been released.

(Lehigh County)

5 years, wow.

(Montgomery County)

timeout. You sir, or your 'friend' need a lawyer.

if you know what the charge is, you can look up how it will be sentenced.
    Every offense in PA has an Offense Gravity Score.
    you will need to look this up.
    And, every 'prior' that you have has a Prior Record Score.

Find out his/her Offense Gravity Score for the charges, and use the Prior Record Score, and use this chart:

This is called a Sentencing Matrix. for example, if your offense carries a weight of 3 for Offense Gravity, and you have priors that add up to 3, you will receive a punishment of 'restorative sanctions' (probation, drug court) up to 12 months in jail. Got it?

Offense Gravity and Prior Record Score don't always have the same values. Like if i was being charged with assault, the OGS would be 3, but if it was a prior offense, it might be a 1 or 2. You need to look these up.

IF, a deadly weapon was on their person, then they could use the 'deadly weapon enhancement'. (Not sure how this works in practice though)

Thus, you use this chart

Or, you could just get a lawyer.
    and yes, you/he/she will lose their right to own firearms if convicted. Unless you get ARD and manage to get it expunged properly. But i'm not sure about that either.

So consensus says, get a lawyer.
    Last edited by Thomas Paine; February 7th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.

(Delaware County)

I believe there is a good chance he will become prohibited if he is found guilty. If he pleads to a lesser crime he should be very careful of what the plea actualy is. My brother-in-law plead out because his assinine lawyer suggested it was the best thing to do and now he can not own a gun. He was fucked by steroid addled police officers looking for excitement. (Nothing to do with drugs for my b-i-l)
    Last edited by mpan72; February 7th, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Drugs + Gun = He's Fuc$@d
    Last edited by AlphaChase; February 7th, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaChase View Post
    Drugs + Gun = He's Fuc$@d
    ^^^THIS^^^

If you must break the law and excercise your natural right to put what you want into you body, do not have a firearm with you in the process.

We all know that it's ridiculous, and the marijuana prohibition is completely retarded, but if caught you WILL be very, very fucked.

This is why I stay away from it. Literally, the only reason. In my high school days, I "indulged" a time or two, but then I got a little older and a little wiser each year. I stopped because I realized that getting caught would be quite detrimental, and it will remain that way until such time as it is made legal. If I were to be caught, I'd be a prohibited person, and I am not willing to make that risk.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

If you must break the law and excercise your natural right to put what you want into you body, do not have a firearm with you in the process.

We all know that it's ridiculous, and the marijuana prohibition is completely retarded, but if caught you WILL be very, very fucked.

This is why I stay away from it. Literally, the only reason. In my high school days, I "indulged" a time or two, but then I got a little older and a little wiser each year. I stopped because I realized that getting caught would be quite detrimental, and it will remain that way until such time as it is made legal. If I were to be caught, I'd be a prohibited person, and I am not willing to make that risk.
    +1
    Pretty much word for word how I feel about it. It's also the reason that on the rare occasion I go to a bar I won't carry, not because I don't trust myself but because of some other drunk asshole making problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast