Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Japanese Arisaka

Grandfather brought one back from WWII , I would like to get this working again it needs a lot of work . Are there any smiths out there who could get this working again and what would the cost range be. Rifle is intact except for the firing pin assembly inside the bolt. The bolt still cycles pretty smooth.

This is just a pipe dream but I would love to get it working

Sadly the chrysanthemum has been whacked with a bayonet but I have identified it as being made at either

Koishikawa Arsenal (Tokyo) 1870-1935
    Kokura Arsenal 1935-1945
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Default Re: Japanese Arisaka

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    Grandfather brought one back from WWII , I would like to get this working again it needs a lot of work . Are there any smiths out there who could get this working again and what would the cost range be. Rifle is intact except for the firing pin assembly inside the bolt. The bolt still cycles pretty smooth.

This is just a pipe dream but I would love to get it working

Sadly the chrysanthemum has been whacked with a bayonet but I have identified it as being made at either

Koishikawa Arsenal (Tokyo) 1870-1935
    Kokura Arsenal 1935-1945
    Was the bayonet ground off or was it actually hit in combat? If the latter, That increases the value if you can prove it. That would be an awesome piece of history if it was marred in combat.

(Venango County)

Too bad you don't live up this way. Two weeks ago at our local club meeting one member gave one of those JA-rifles to another member who is a retired Army Armorer. His was shorter than I expected it to be. Anyway, I heard enough of the conversation to think that his rifle had the same issue as yours. The 'smithy' said he'd get it up and running in short order.....Good luck....jkm

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Was the bayonet ground off or was it actually hit in combat? If the latter, That increases the value if you can prove it. That would be an awesome piece of history if it was marred in combat.
    Not combat two slashes right across the mum so as not to dishoner the emperor.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Berks County)

So the 'mum is intact, just marred? That will still be quite a step above one that is ground off to a collector. It does have value.

Are there any smiths out there who could get this working again and what would the cost range be.
    No reason why you shouldn't be able to take it apart and clean it up yourself. Takedown is similar to a Mauser, take it all apart, clean it, oil it, inspect the bore, inspect the chamber. Finding a replacement firing pin shouldn't be that hard. I wouldn't expect to pay any more than $25-50, and installation should be easy. New springs and other small parts are available, you just have to do some searching around the mil-surplus and gun parts websites.

Biggest thing is figuring out what you have, is it a Type 38 (6.5x50mm)? or is it a Type 99 (7.7 x 58mm)?

Personally I hope you have an early war 99, they had a very strong action, if it has the AA sights, the rule of thumb is it should be pretty safe to shoot. Late war they went to leaf sights and metalurgical and heat treating were suspect, though I have never heard of one having a catastrophic failure myself. Then again the few guys I know that have one don't shoot them that often either because the ammo is hard to come by and rather expensive. This is one of those rifles you definately want to reload for.

Either way, post some pictures if you can, we CAN help!

Here is a link to the surplus rifle website:

http://surplusrifle.com/arisaka/index.asp

It will tell you about the rifle types and history, on the right side of the page there is a column you can choose for rifle dissassembly (with pictures!) and also a selection for bolt dissassembly also.

Good luck.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

Thanks for the info ....

Pictures forthcoming ..... I will get some this weekend.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Who were the slashes made by?

(Chester County)

I have a T99, mum intact.
    Great shooting rifle. I actually made 7.7 rounds from necked down 30-06, resized and stuffed with .303 bullets so if you reload and have a hard time finding 7.7, you have options.

I agree that replacing the firing pin would be a relatively minor job since taking the bolt apart would be step 1 in cleaning it and getting it ready to fire once again. Very easy to do!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Who were the slashes made by?
    I don't know ....my grandfather died when I was ten. So I didn't get a lot of time with him.

He was a twin 40mm gunners mate on a LST . He was engaged at Eniwetok, the Marshal's , Saipan and Okinawa. So it could have came from any of those engagements .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post

He was a twin 40mm gunners mate on a LST . He was engaged at Eniwetok, the Marshal's , Saipan and Okinawa. So it could have came from any of those engagements .
    That makes it more valuable, not that i would ever sell it.

A friend of mine father in law sent one home to philadelphia in a case that he made out of a fire hose from the battle ship he was on. He wrote his address on it with a magic narker and shipped it right to his house. My friend still has it, i asked if i could buy it.. He also has a garand that his friend carried with him on wake island..

Dont shoot it much, its more of a piece of history than a shooter. Hang on to it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast