Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Home protection pump

i have shot a few 12 gauges and 410's in my life but i do not have a lot of experience with shotguns... I am looking to buy my first one. Ideally it would not have an extreme amount of recoil. I would also like to add a flashlight and a laser sight. I am under 21 and new to buying guns but i would like to get my first shotgun legally, just not sure how easily that would be to acquire and what you guys recommend. Thanks..

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Home protection pump

when it come to pump shotguns there are a lot of choices.with a lot of different prices.if you don't have a lot of $$ to spend start looking around for a used pump in 12ga.shoot trap loads for fun and practice and get low recoil buck for HD.I think there 3 870s on the guns for sale in this forum.or hit the shops.you should be able to find a plain short barrel pump for around 350 to 450.also if you can fine someone who has a pump gun of the kind you want ask if you can shoot it to see what you think of it.hope this helps some.crazywolf

money is not quite an issue for my but i am not going to be spending a thousand on a pump.

Not sure of the legalities surrounding my preferences and if im even aloud to own this with the attachments i want. (preferably laser sight and a flashlight and maybe a folding/removable stock)

I also will be on the hunt for semi auto rifle for home protection/target shooting with a flashlight and laser. however i know there are a lot of laws regarding the size of the rifle and amount of attachments for people under 21.

(Crawford County)

20 ga. will have less kick than a 12 ga. and is perfectly usefull as an HD boomstick.

I have a 12 ga. myself, but that's what I was lucky enough to find in my price range when I was looking for something handy as a room sweeper. But using 00 buckshot in a 3" shell kicks like a mule. Haven't yet tried any other shells. I am thinking about trying some rifled slugs next time, perhaps in a 2 3/4" shells.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Armstrong County)

I have both 12 and 20 ga shotguns and prefer a 20 for the home grab and go weapon.

Lighter, more manageable and as effective as a 12 in the in home distances you be shooting.
    I can easily hand it off to my wife and not worry about her being timid like she would with a 12 ga.

Watch this vid. Towards the 3:15 mark they'll do a comparison of 12 vs 20 and also consider they are using bird shot.
    Load that 20 with a self defense round like Winchester PDX or 00 buck and its very effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndRH5Z-0Sy8

I picked up this new 870 20 gage to use as a bedside weapon and have less than $380 in it.
    For me I opted for a youth hunting version (with chokes) that I added the stock and fore grip to.
    The wood was nice the as a youth stock a bit short.
    My wife and I also shoot clays for fun and the ability to change chokes is nice.
    Tube extension and light on the way.

You'll want a light as a minimum. Anyone who thinks they are going to walk around the house and be effective in total darkness is way off.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...pse99f5306.jpg
    Last edited by Odonnks; February 5th, 2013 at 09:12 PM.

(Mercer County)

Get yourself to Walmart and buy a 12 gauge 870.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Philadelphia County)

Most people say 12ga, depends how big you are and what you consider is too much recoil. If you've shot 12 and think you can handle it but are a little bit weary, you can always practice with low recoil loads and work your way up.

Since you're getting into defensive firearms you may want to check out this article on Ammunition for Self Defense Firearms. Lot of good info there.

20ga loaded with #3 buck will easily penetrate enough to stop an aggressor. It would be pretty devastating. I have a 12ga personally, but wouldn't think twice about relying on 20ga to get the job done, especially with the appropriate ammo.

Edit: Oh as for which model... depends on your personal preference and what you can find by the time you want to have it. A Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Winchester Defender... all fine shotguns that you can count on IMHO. I picked up a used Remington 870 Wingmaster Police 12ga for $300. You can sometimes find new Mossy 500's online for around that price.
    Last edited by jpkotor; February 5th, 2013 at 11:42 PM.

(Lehigh County)

You can legally own any long arm rifle or shotgun doesnt matter whats on it at least what you listed is all legal given you ARE 18 years old, Legally can own one ( no 302's, no felonies, some misdermeanors can restrict you) call a lawyer if your not sure because im not an authority on the exact firearms codes.

cheap side a h&r pump protector, steven 350, maverick 88

Cheaper but quality mossberg 500, remington 870

outside of that any old beater pump can have the barrel cut down to 18 1/2 inches and serve your purpose.
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

Agreed, the 870 Rem in 12 ga is great. A light is a must. At the least, the light coming round the corner and racking the thing could be enough to not have to mess up your walls. If they insist, then make sure you also have a mop. Use the ones with the super bright LEDs too, and make up a regimen for checking the batteries or changing the batteries regularly.

I also have a 20 ga old Rem model 17 that I keep in my shop as a backup. that works nicely.

I like double 0 buck in the 12 ga, and some birdshot in the 20 ga. At inside the house ranges, most shot will get the job done. Your keys are short length (I don't remember anymore what the laws are, but I can imagine alot of what people may or may not have may or may not be in the neighborhood of those lengths), ease of use, ability to get a second shot if necessary (low kick or kick you can handle after practice), and of course reliability. If price matters, then some folks' suggestions for ones that could double for clay shooting or other hunting would be nice too.

Best of luck!

Maverick 88
    Mossberg 500
    Remington 870

Those are what I'd look into for a HD shotgun. I am currently using a Benelli Nova 20ga shotgun as mine. It doubles as my small game gun as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast