Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Sharpsville PD - Do your job!

YouTube link is private it seems.

(Northampton County)

I can see both sides of this. Yes, the OP did move in next to a bar, and should expect the bar to create the related grief.

He also has a reasonable expectation that the bar follows the LCB regulations.

This is like neighbors at a gun club with a cut-off time of "DUSK" complaining when people shot overnight. Yes, they moved in next to a gun club, but they have every right to expect the shooting to stop at dusk.

OP, have you tried contacting the LCB directly? It may be possible that the local PD isn't forwarding their reports for the LCB's review.

Something else to consider: do you really want to begin pissing off the bar? Their patrons may suddenly find your front lawn a very convenient place to relieve themselves/puke/throw out garbage/etc....

(Allegheny County)

You have a complex issue... Only the LCB can take action against the bar's liquor license for violations of their regulations, and these actions can only take place during renewal of the liquor license...... could be years away from any type of resolution for your problem.

The PD is going to be hard pressed to argue that a properly licensed bar operating in a properly zoned location during normal operating hours is making unreasonable noise in violation of the Disorderly Conduct Statute.

(Mercer County)

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Jason. You'll quickly learn that Sharpsville PD is really only interested in running people out of Sharpsville. They particularly like to stake-out the bars in town and issue DWI's. When they're not doing that they follow "suspect" motorists around town until they can issue a ticket for a petty moving violation.

Sharpsville is a quiet little town with very little hard core crime (unlike the drug dealers and gang bangers in Sharon and Farrell). I'm sure the Sharpsville PD thinks that they are keeping the "bad elements" out of town by cracking down on every moving violation they can find. But harassing other-wise normal people isn't going to do that.

Their problem seems to be one of self destruction (and it seems to be working). By harassing everyone that comes to Sharpsville (whether to have a drink or to patronize any other Sharpsville business) they drive away all the customers. What they haven't figured out yet is that those customers keep the local businesses afloat. If those businesses close, Sharpsville won't get any taxes from them. When the borough's tax revenues drop enough, they will have to lay-off cops.

Other than the few restaurants and bars, what businesses are left in Sharpsville? Not much. It won't be long before Sharpsville PD closes down the whole town.

So you moved across the street from a bar and you want the bar to stop doing business because you moved in. Right....
    PAFOA Doctrine - If you don't agree with someone, call them a troll and cry to a mod.

(Northampton County)

No one is asking the bar to stop doing business.

IMO it's reasonable to expect a business to operate inside the law or in this case the liquor code or whatever it's called. I've seen bars get cited by the LCB for excessive noise.

Comparing this situation to living near RR tracks, an airport or a shooting range is nonsense. If what the OP posted is accurate,the bar is operating outside the regulations.

(Mercer County)

Update: The video was made private after I got a visit from the chief of police and a call from the LCB agent handling the violations. The video was created to get action and when action was finally taken, I saw no need to leave the video up.

The bar was shut down for a week for previous violations

42101-FAILED TO HAVE PATRONS VACATE PREMISES 1/2 HR AFTER CLOSING TIME
    42102-PERMITTED PATRONS TO REMOVE AL.BEV. 1/2 HR. AFTER CLOSING TIME
    46501-GAVE LIQUOR AND/OR MALT/BREWED BEVS. BETWEEN 2:00 A.M. AND 7:00 A.M.
    50701-SMOKED AND/OR PERMITTED SMOKING IN A PUBLIC PLACE WHERE SMOKING IS PROHIBITED
    50702-FAILED TO POST SIGNAGE AS REQUIRED BY LAW.
    Because the investigation is ongoing, I can't comment on what is currently happening, but what I can say is that the bar has been very quiet the last few weeks. I think they got the hint and have decided to be a good neighbor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12