Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default NFA Item Transfer Costs

What are you guys paying CL 3 dealers to do a purchase/transfer on a Form 4.

My local standard is a $50 to tranfer a supressor that I'm buying from them, and I'm wondering what other people are paying.

I think $50 is probably reasonable (that SOT license doesn't come for free), but since this is the first time I'm doing this, I don't have any real perspective.

Thanks

doug (DPB)
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: NFA Item Transfer Costs

When I bought my M16 I had to have it transferred through Armament Services International, they charged me $125.

Quote Originally Posted by DPB View Post
    My local standard is a $50 to tranfer a supressor that I'm buying from them, and I'm wondering what other people are paying.
    They're making you pay a transfer cost for a suppressor you are buying from them? Tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by DPB View Post
    I think $50 is probably reasonable (that SOT license doesn't come for free), but since this is the first time I'm doing this, I don't have any real perspective.
    That would be a great price for a transfer on an item THROUGH them, but again, if you're buying an item FROM them all you should be paying is the cost of the item + the NFA tax. Anything else is pure BS.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Erie County)

I specially ordered a suppressor, and my dealer made me pay the retail price. Not sure exactly what he gets it for, but thats between him and the manufacturer.

If it's an item they carry, as danp says tell them to go shove that can where it don't shine.

The dealer I was going to originally order from wanted full retail price plus $100 for something he normally stocks. I was referred to him by the person I USED to transfer regular firearms through. I since found a SOT that lives 8 houses down and has very very reasonable fees. Post a request for a dealer on arfcom in the local section, I'm sure you'll find someone or a couple.

My C3 dealer, Henry Smith in Slatington, doesn't charge for transfer of cans that he is selling, even if he has to get it from the factory (i.e. it's not in stock). Henry charges list for the can and his profit is the dealer discount between him and the manufacturer. If he has to transfer in an MG, he charges $100.

Dan P and Aubie have done business with Henry and will back me up on this.

John C

(Montgomery County)

I've seen anywhere from $50 to 100 on local dealers on items that they do not own, or stock...meaning they order it.

i dont think its out of line at $100, they fill the paerwork, chase the ATF, etc etc, plus they gotta keep the lights on in a registered premises.

On items i've BOUGHT from them that they own, I've not been charged a transfer price above/on top of the cost of the item I purchased from the dealer.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Chester County)

I have never paid any type of transfer fee to any dealer when purchasing directly from them. If they are receiving on your behalf from another, then some type of compensation is due to them. Other than that , your're being taking advantage of.
    Last edited by SiouxWarrior; December 29th, 2006 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling

(Blair County)

Thanks for the info.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE