Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Left handed in car carry

Last night I got caught in traffic, a tree fell across the roadway. While I was setting there I got to thinking about how I would get my carry gun into action. I am left handed and carry my CW45 in a cross draw holster at 2:30. Drawing is no problem as even the seatbelt does not get in the way. My question is how would I be able to get the gun in action should the BG be on the left side of the car. I could not seem to be able to draw and bring the gun into action last night while trying it with an unloaded gun in my garage. I think this would also be a problem for a right handed person sitting in the passenger seat.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Left handed in car carry

I think you'll just have to throw your body towards or into the passenger seat the best you can to make some space to draw and fire. Probably won't be easy assuming you have a console, e-brake, etc. in the way, but it's better than not getting your gun into action.

Too bad bench seats went out of style.
    Last edited by Shodan; February 2nd, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Washington County)

Thats what I was thinking. My other option would be a seat holster and shooting my gun right handed, but I do not like the idea of moving the firearm from my IWB to a seat holster. I am a good shot with my right hand, but my left eye is my master eye.

thanks for your response.

(Washington County)

I think creating that distance is important even if you don't end up having to shoot.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Venango County)

Vertical shoulder holsters help in drawing large frames from seated position in vehicle. However, smaller or shorter barrels would be better for aiming withing confined spaces.

I have a 4" and a 6" revolver. The vertical shoulder cross draws come in handy for large frames in many situations.

My tiny Beretta is my go-to in very tight spaces, however.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Chester County)

Ankle Carry a BUG...
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Cumberland County)

https://www.google.com/search?q=stee...ANZSxCtfmQSgM:

You would obviously need to re-holster a lot but just throwing it out there as an option. And learn how to fire right-handed with a quick draw. I'm left-handed also and have asked myself the same question. I don't carry ALL the time and always have a gun in my car so for me one would always stay in this holster

(Crawford County)

If the BG is on either side of your vehicle, and your vehicle is running, why do you need a gun in the first place? You are in control of better than a ton of steel (and in modern cars plastic) with a very powerful motor.

Pick up a few offensive driving courses instead. Rather than fumble with a gun you could: Stomp on the fuel; Throw your weight into the door (if he's on the driver's side) and throw him off; or play my favorite trick on carjackers....drive away with him hanging off the side.

An example, if you will. I had a midnight delivery on the outskirts of Detroit. The plant I was going to was off a 5 lane roadway (4 travel lanes plus a center turning lane). There was a line of trucks waiting to get into the plant, and this was an area known for dipshits hassling drivers. One of the aforementioned dipshits hopped up on my step, grabbed my wheel, and started demanding money. I have minimal tolerance for assholes, and knew the area fairly well from other deliveries in the area. So I looked at him, said "hold tight, fucker", and started grabbing gears. Good thing for me it was so late, no traffic in the travel lanes to interfere with my travel. Dude started screaming at me to stop, so I started elbowing him in the face (not easy when pushing a big rig to higher speeds, let me tell you. Didn't do a lick of damage to him, just distracted him from jerking the wheel). The other drivers in line who saw what was going on were hitting their horns and yelling to let plant security (a joke if ever there was one) know what was going on.

Dumbass finally bailed at about 40 mph. Let go of the wheel and hit concrete. I don't know how much damage he took from the hit, but I do know that by the time I got turned around to head back, he was outta sight. Good thing for him, too. I had me a full head of mad steam by then and was fully prepared to run his dumb ass right the hell over.

No cops were called on the incident. Security supervisor decided in his infinite wisdom that since I took no damage, it wasn't worth his time. I agreed, since the general attitude of Detroit cops at that time was to blame the trucker for everything, and I didn't want to go to jail for "reckless driving" and attempted vehicular manslaughter.

My point is if you have an operational vehicle, you have a potentially deadly weapon at your fingertips. Think outside the box when it comes to self defense, instead of just relying on your sidearm. Absolutely anything can be used as a weapon, once you realize it.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Washington County)

I was just thinking about what I would do if I had to use my gun. Drawing is not the problem, as I carry my gun on my right side to be drawn cross draw. The problem is lack of space between my self and the window with my gun in my left hand. The answer seems to be to try to create space between myself and the left window. I have been carrying for a long time and never needed my gun, but I like to know what to do IF.

(Chester County)

Interesting question.

One thing I try to do is minimize the number of layers over my gun when in the car, often "OCing". I carry at 3-o'clock, but even so, I've worked through many situations in my head, and, for many of them, my primary and secondary plans involve using my vehicle to create distance.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast