Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default *Help* Repair on a wooden stock

I recently bought a Mosin Nagant. I took off the steel plate at the butt of the stock and replaced it with a rubber one. Problem is the top screw went back in nicely and the screw in the back won't fit in anymore, the hole is now too big. So now the rubber pad is loose on it.
    So is there some kind of filler I put in, wait for it to dry, then re-tap it? What's the appropriate way of fixing this?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: *Help* Repair on a wooden stock

Clean the wood at the hole,make sure there is no cosmoline.Use a small piece of wood and some wood glue.

Either a small wooden dowel rod preferably or even a couple of the round tooth picks and some quality wood glue.

With the toothpicks it just takes up part of the space,and after the glue drys you can just reinsert the screw.If you use a dowel rod almost as large as the hole,then you would use a small drill bit after the glue drys(usually 24 hours) redrill the hole only smaller than origiinal so you have a tight flt.

Hope this helps haven't had my coffee yet.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(York County)

I figured it was just filling it with something, but wasn't sure exactly how or what to use. I'll give it shot as soon as I get the chance. Thanks!

(Bucks County)

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/j-b-wel...sive-8251.html
    This is what I used on a old Winchester .22 bolt rifle 4 yrs ago and I've never had an issue.

(Bucks County)

the dowl or tooth pick is the cheapest idea and it will work .and if you want it to be a little bit stronger put a dab of super glue onit .

(Bucks County)

I use toothpicks to fill small holes. You can even use bondo to fill them in. If it's going to be visible you can take saw dust and glue and pack in the hole or crack..

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike231 View Post
    http://www.homedepot.com/buy/j-b-wel...sive-8251.html
    This is what I used on a old Winchester .22 bolt rifle 4 yrs ago and I've never had an issue.
    The only glue I have in the house right now is Gorilla Glue, and the way that stuff expands I didn't want to use it for this project. I like JB weld, I've used their other products and was happy with it so I'll definitely give this stuff a shot.

Thanks for the advice guys!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronBuddha View Post
    The only glue I have in the house right now is Gorilla Glue, and the way that stuff expands I didn't want to use it for this project. I like JB weld, I've used their other products and was happy with it so I'll definitely give this stuff a shot.

Thanks for the advice guys!
    I work on wood clarinets and Ferrees tools has a glue called Hot Shot it's like super glue that we use with the ebony wood dust they sell to repair the wood clarinets. If you are staining the wood dark or painting it this stuff is SUPER hard, sands easy and is smooth as glass when you're done. You can take a dremel to hog out cracks to fill them. We can pin clarinets I didn't try this on a stock before.

Screw holes stripping out is really common. I've seen old guys just ram wider screws in that split the wood. >< slightly longer.. Maybe.. Wider?? NO!

I have to inlet a stock for a Turk Mauser still... Not too motivated to finish it.. LOL
    Last edited by oldhornjunkie; February 1st, 2013 at 10:23 PM.

(Allegheny County)

$20 for a Stock, Handguard, Butt plate and Front and Rear Metal Handguard Band.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...+Set&groupid=6
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

I went with the gluing the dowel method. I walked into ACE just guessing on what size dowel and I ended up luckily picking the exact size needed.

I already had the hole clean. I covered the dowel with wood glue and shoved it in. Cut off with a little extra hanging out and used a rubber mallet to pound the rest in.

Waited a day for it to dry. Then sanded off the excess.

Pre-Drilled about 1/2-3/4 of the screw length.

The screw grabbed the rest through. So now the rubber recoil pad fits on nice and tight.

Thanks again for all the help!