Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Union County)

Thumbs down Shopper's gun goes off at Costco

I'll bet this scared him sh*tless.
    From Staff Reports
    December 22, 2006

A man dropped his new pistol in the bathroom of the North Division Costco on Thursday, and nearly emptied the store as shoppers fled after hearing the gun go off when it hit the floor.

The bullet lodged in the wall and no injuries were reported, Spokane County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Dave Reagan said.

"He was a little embarrassed and didn't want to come out of the bathroom right away," Reagan said of the man, who has a concealed weapons permit.

Deputies arrived after employees reported an armed man had fired a shot about 12:15 p.m., Reagan said.

"A customer was just outside the gunman's stall when he heard the shot. He looked over the top of the stall, saw the shooter fumbling with the pistol and alerted employees who began evacuating the building," Reagan said in a news release.

The pistol was a new Sig-Sauer .357-caliber semiautomatic carried in a shoulder holster. Reagan did not identify the man.

While the man was pulling up his pants, his shirt caught on the gun and pulled it out of the holster, Reagan said.

Deputy Mark Smoldt said the man broke no laws.

This is what gives us all a Black Eye!!! This knucklehead was playing with his gun, I guess for fun. There no way a firearm will be pulled out of a shoulder holster by a shirt when pulling up your pants. And also with Sig system the only way their firearms will go off is if the trigger is pulled.

grizz

Thumbs down Re: Shopper's gun goes off at Costco

Yeah, he's full of it.

However I must admit I had one hell of an oops when I first tstared carrying. I had a Fobus Roto paddle holster and the tenssion screw that adjusted the tilt let go and the holster did a 180 and dumped my Para on the floor in the mall. That day I was out getting a more secure rig.

A 1911 in condition 1 and still not go off. I scooped up my pistol and made for the closest exit.

There was a story about a guy at Walmart a while back that put a shot through the ceiling with this Glock. He was also full of it. Carrying without a holster, playing with his gun while doing his business and pulled the trigger.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Berks County)

Default Re: Shopper's gun goes off at Costco

Costco already has a no carry policy in their stores. This certainly isn't going to help change that policy. My question is how in the world did he get "his shirt caught" on the pistol when it was in a shoulder holster? I could see it happening if it was in an IWB or pancake or a clip on, but a shoulder holster?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    My question is how in the world did he get "his shirt caught" on the pistol when it was in a shoulder holster?
    SIG's are "drop safe" so I'd bet the farm he removed it from the holster and upon reholstering he *fiddled* with it and violated Rule #3. There was some discussion about this on another board. Apparently older SIGS's aren't drop safe if you manually lower the hammer. SIG got wind of this and changed the FCG so that even if you are a knucklehead and lower the hammer manually instead of using the decocker it will be drop safe.

DA/SA auto's are meant to be carried de-cocked. The question is, did he have an older model and was he in the habit of manually lowering the hammer? Thus if his shirt did pull the gun out of it's holster and it dropped on the floor and discharged he would have had to have an older model and would have had to have manually lowered the hammer.

I repeat, he *fiddled* with it and negligently pressed the trigger.

These incidents really aren't that difficult to piece together.

(Union County)

Tony

The news item said he had was carrying a "new" .357 SIG and as you and I both stated (in different words) the only way they will fire is if someone is messing with the trigger.

grizz

It wasnt' Diego and I because we went to Sam's Club and not Costco.

I have been fortunate enough not to ever drop my pistol while carrying it. Accidents do happen, but I hope that it doesn't happen too often.

(Schuylkill County)

No charges? LUCKY GUY.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLYBEAR View Post
    This is what gives us all a Black Eye!!! This knucklehead was playing with his gun, I guess for fun. There no way a firearm will be pulled out of a shoulder holster by a shirt when pulling up your pants. And also with Sig system the only way their firearms will go off is if the trigger is pulled.

grizz
    +1. It's idiots like this that make it worse for all of us who wish to carry.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

I'll bet he tried to catch a dropped gun. He's lucky he didnt get shot...

(Monroe County)

a weird follow up question. Assume you are carrying OWB and you need to use the public restroom (no. 2) What do you do with your weapon? How about in your house?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast