Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Berks County)

Default Re: outdoor ammo storage??

like the ammo cans, old radio equipment cans are gasketed and have a pressure relese valve, they are usualy aluminum so the can itself wont rust and they look like just an ordinary metal box instead of an ammo can!
    i use one for smokes/matches, wallets and keys and such when on the river and just put a cord from the handle to something on the boat so it doesnt float away in the event of a capsize.

(Blair County)

i think what everyone has overlooked is he wants that will not give that ammo is in there (or may be) ,ammo cans would do that. he probably should try one of some type of cabinet (or if he could find an old paint storage locker) would be less obvious to ammo storage.

Quote Originally Posted by xflyboy View Post
    i think what everyone has overlooked is he wants that will not give that ammo is in there (or may be) ,ammo cans would do that. he probably should try one of some type of cabinet (or if he could find an old paint storage locker) would be less obvious to ammo storage.
    I'm having a little trouble following your syntax here. Are you saying is that a container that was not intended for ammunition would be better?

He doesn't tell us why it shouldn't look like it contains ammunition, but I doubt his landlord has a problem with it. If his landlord is searching his personal effects, he has a more serious problem. Painting an ammunition box a color that isn't an earth tone should do the trick. A darker shade of blue or purple would do wonders! Not to mention innocuous stickers or labels to the effect of "craft supplies", etc.

We aren't talking about an ammunition dump, it's more in line with a lunchbox sized container, possibly two. Storing 400 rounds of ammunition without drawing undue attention won't be a problem. 540 rounds of 8mm rifle ammunition will fit in a 50 caliber ammunition can (photo)

The rounds aren't a fire hazard, and pose little if any explosive threat. If you've seen ammunition shipping containers, they are prominently marked "1.4" which translates to "moderate fire, no blast" (source). If his landlord is capable of critical thinking, this should be a non-issue. If he won't budge on the issue, storing ammunition in a garage shouldn't be a problem. Especially if the ammunition is protected from rain and the elements. The two most likely issues will be dust and thermal cycling, if the garage isn't heated.

Another detail the original poster hasn't commented about is security. His ammunition may be less secure in the garage. Nor has he commented why he hasn't elected to scatter the ammunition in different locations in his living quarters.

(Tioga County)

A couple of solutions I have used:

3 lb coffee cans, the metal ones. Coolers, coolers moderate sharp swings in temperature. Both of the these together. If security is an issue you can put either or both in a lockable cabinet. these are not expensive to get and might just be around already. as both of these are friction sealed should the ammo or powder cook off they will not hold the pressure in to the point of getting an explosion.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
    i need to store my handgun and shotgun ammo in the garage as per my landlord. do you have a suggestion of what to store it in....maybe something from Lowes or Home Depot?

do i need a gasket around the opening? i live inland in pennsylvania, so salt air will not be a problem.

maybe just a cheap lockable tool chest?
    will need to hold about 400 rounds. Must be lockable!!

should not look like an ammo container!
    thanks..........Bill
    he says shouldn't looki like ammo container
    and i saw my syntax but the computer i was using wouldn't let me edit at the time , dial up at work as opposed to my home computer

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    I'm having a little trouble following your syntax here. Are you saying is that a container that was not intended for ammunition would be better?

He doesn't tell us why it shouldn't look like it contains ammunition, but I doubt his landlord has a problem with it. If his landlord is searching his personal effects, he has a more serious problem. Painting an ammunition box a color that isn't an earth tone should do the trick. A darker shade of blue or purple would do wonders! Not to mention innocuous stickers or labels to the effect of "craft supplies", etc.

We aren't talking about an ammunition dump, it's more in line with a lunchbox sized container, possibly two. Storing 400 rounds of ammunition without drawing undue attention won't be a problem. 540 rounds of 8mm rifle ammunition will fit in a 50 caliber ammunition can (photo)

The rounds aren't a fire hazard, and pose little if any explosive threat. If you've seen ammunition shipping containers, they are prominently marked "1.4" which translates to "moderate fire, no blast" (source).
    If his landlord is capable of critical thinking, this should be a non-issue. If he won't budge on the issue, storing ammunition in a garage shouldn't be a problem. Especially if the ammunition is protected from rain and the elements. The two most likely issues will be dust and thermal cycling, if the garage isn't heated.
    Another detail the original poster hasn't commented about is security. His ammunition may be less secure in the garage. Nor has he commented why he hasn't elected to scatter the ammunition in different locations in his living quarters.
    wasnt saying they where a fire hazard just that it would be something that would look more like it belonged in a garage also the possibility of securing it because some paint lockers are lockable

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123