Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: How rigid of a workbench?

I'm going to jump in here and add my .02 based on my personal experience, as well as the fact that you're using a progressive press, and your needs are different than loading single stage.

I've found that when loading progressive, especially if you are using a case feeder, that ANY amount of wobble during the process will be sufficient to cause less than desirable operation of the press. If there is wobble when a case is dropping from the chute onto the slide in preparation for being pushed into the shell plate, it can either drop crooked, or fall off the slide completely. I've bolted my desk to the wall using angle iron, and I will soon be bolting it to the floor as well, as it has a tendency to lift up just a touch off the floor when I'm on the upstroke and it's pulling the casings out of the resizing die. This movement causes everything to shake just a little bit, and that's enough to make the whole operation go off the rails.

Based on my experience, I think a fair number of people buy a progressive press, start loading with it, are less than satisfied with the result, and think the press is at fault. I know I did. Operation improved significantly once I locked things down, and I know due to experimentation (having somebody sit on the desk while I was loading) that things will be even better once I've gotten things so locked down that there is no movement at all.

Hope this helps,

BCB

Somewhere around Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCountyBob View Post
    Hope this helps,

BCB
    Indeed it does. Thank you. I'm leaning toward getting setup in the garage, since I already have a nice sturdy workbench in there, and after all, I am manufacturing ammo, not folding clothes.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Overscore View Post
    Indeed it does. Thank you. I'm leaning toward getting setup in the garage, since I already have a nice sturdy workbench in there, and after all, I am manufacturing ammo, not folding clothes.
    BucksCountyBob has it right: without a ROCK SOLID mount, you'll spend more time using your bullet puller than the reloading press.

Ask me how I know. Benjamin Franklin once said "Experience is a dear teacher but some will learn by no other."

If you plan to use your workbench for other projects, consider mounting your press to a 2x12 the length of your bench, and bolting the press to it with beefy 2" lag bolts. You may have to use a few washers just to keep the bolts from penetrating the top of your workbench. Then clamp it down with 4 C clamps, suitably spaced.

Here are a few pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - bamboomaster

Somewhere around Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    If you plan to use your workbench for other projects, consider mounting your press to a 2x12 the length of your bench, and bolting the press to it with beefy 2" lag bolts. You may have to use a few washers just to keep the bolts from penetrating the top of your workbench. Then clamp it down with 4 C clamps, suitably spaced.

Here are a few pictures:
    This is probably exactly what I'll wind up doing. Thanks for the idea.

I started with a 650 and had all sorts of "wierd" issues until I bolted the press to the wall and floor. Even a little jiggle will cause bad things to happen. I agree that people blame equipment when in reality they do not have it secured properly.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCountyBob View Post
    I'm going to jump in here and add my .02 based on my personal experience, as well as the fact that you're using a progressive press, and your needs are different than loading single stage.

I've found that when loading progressive, especially if you are using a case feeder, that ANY amount of wobble during the process will be sufficient to cause less than desirable operation of the press. If there is wobble when a case is dropping from the chute onto the slide in preparation for being pushed into the shell plate, it can either drop crooked, or fall off the slide completely. I've bolted my desk to the wall using angle iron, and I will soon be bolting it to the floor as well, as it has a tendency to lift up just a touch off the floor when I'm on the upstroke and it's pulling the casings out of the resizing die. This movement causes everything to shake just a little bit, and that's enough to make the whole operation go off the rails.

Based on my experience, I think a fair number of people buy a progressive press, start loading with it, are less than satisfied with the result, and think the press is at fault. I know I did. Operation improved significantly once I locked things down, and I know due to experimentation (having somebody sit on the desk while I was loading) that things will be even better once I've gotten things so locked down that there is no movement at all.

Hope this helps,

BCB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fishdude; February 2nd, 2013 at 09:51 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12